Salad Dressings

Options
Looking for some recommendations on low fat/low cal salad dressings? Either bottled or homemade will do. Typically just use oil and vinegar but looking to rotate some other options in.

Replies

• tekkiechikk
    tekkiechikk Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Bolthouse Farms. Lots of flavors, good taste. I think they have the best blue cheese on the market. In the refrigerated section.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Litehouse Opa dressings - made with greek yogurt, @ 40 cals/TBSP and they are really delicious. They're in the produce section in my grocery.

Or if you're rich: http://www.bigsurgourmet.net/#!big-sur-gourmet/c1th1 Best stuff I've EVER tasted, like so thick and rich and flavorful yummmm. And if you're super rich please buy some for me as well :)
  • BklynFitGuy
    BklynFitGuy Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Cool, thanks for the suggestions. I guess I need to start looking at the produce and refrigerated sections. I'm always in the oils/dressings section and everything seems high in something whether is calories, fat, sodium, etc.
  • Cellgirl99
    Cellgirl99 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    2nd the Bolthouse yogurt dressings. They don't have that "diet" taste. I also use plain balsamic vinegar as a dressing.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    I love the Trader Joe's light champagne vinaigrette, but wishbone lite balsamic vinaigrette is pretty good too, and so is Marie's light blue cheese in the jar (though we use that more for dipping than dressing).
  • doitnow1218
    doitnow1218 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I routinely use both Bolthouse and Lighthouse Opa and enjoy them a great deal. Really like Lighthouse Opa Ranch. Both are in the refrigerated section by the bagged salads.
  • jellybeanhed313
    jellybeanhed313 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I made a green goddess dressing last week that was great!
    1 cup greek yogurt
    4 Tbsp fresh parsley
    1/2 tsp dried dill(or a bit more of fresh)
    2 Tbsp fresh chives
    1/2 tsp rice vinegar
    1 garlic clove
    dash worstershire
    dash hot sauce
    salt & pepper to taste

pop everything in the blender and puree. Delish! You can change it up with different herbs and also it is quite thick so can be thinned with some water or chicken broth(that will further reduce calories).
  • shamcd
    shamcd Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I make my own low cal ranch dressing and it's pretty delicious. 1.25 cup low fat buttermilk, 3/4 cup light Helmann's mayo, and a packet of Hidden Valley Ranch Dressing mix. 470 calories for the entire 2 cups, or 60 calories per 1/4 cup.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I have reacquainted myself with the glory of fats in moderation. They sure make salads a lot more palatable and sustaining. Maybe find a great dressing and limit yourself to a teaspoon or two.

Dressings are super easy to make. My favourites these days are vinaigrettes. You could increase the herbs/garlic and control your salt that way.

https://www.pinterest.com/janetkarasz/dressings/
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    sofaking6 wrote: »
    Litehouse Opa dressings - made with greek yogurt, @ 40 cals/TBSP and they are really delicious. They're in the produce section in my grocery.

Or if you're rich: http://www.bigsurgourmet.net/#!big-sur-gourmet/c1th1 Best stuff I've EVER tasted, like so thick and rich and flavorful yummmm. And if you're super rich please buy some for me as well :)

+1 on this...I'm a huge blue cheese fan, and I grabbed a bottle at the suggestion of someone on this board. It's as good if not better than any of the other brands.
  • fuhrmeister
    fuhrmeister Posts: 1,796 Member
    Options
    I like Newman's Own Lite Raspberry Walnut.

I make a lot of dressing too. Just try some different seasoning with your oil and vinegar to see what you like. If you want something a bit sweeter add a little honey.
  • marciemartin1
    marciemartin1 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I love the Bolthouse Raspberry dressing. Really low in calories and taste great.
  • runnerchick69
    runnerchick69 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I'm a huge fan of straight up balsamic vinaigrette. Sometimes I mix up some of it with a little olive oil so it sticks to the veggies better. I know I shouldn't but I also love some bottled dressings although I try to stick to making my own :)
  • Sarahndipity30
    Sarahndipity30 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Im addicted to ZOOSH dressings. but you can only get it over in Australia. Im in the process of trying to convince my sister to mail me some bottles. LOL...giving her the pouty face!

Aside from that, I like Kens Steakhouse Lite Vidalia Onion, and a big fan of the Raspberry Walnut!
  • runnerchick69
    runnerchick69 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I like Newman's Own Lite Raspberry Walnut.

I make a lot of dressing too. Just try some different seasoning with your oil and vinegar to see what you like. If you want something a bit sweeter add a little honey.

Honey and some balsamic vinaigrette is awesome :D

• mmurfey
    mmurfey Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Bolthouse, delish. Also, try Ken's Light Options. I've been looking for a tasty Honey Mustard, and their Honey Dijon is great, at only 35cal/TBSP.

http://www.kensfoods.com/light.php
  • LindsMM1
    LindsMM1 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Newmans Own Light Sesame Ginger Dressing is yummy.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    This is - hands down - the best italian dressing I have ever tasted in my entire life.

I omit the sugar and the oil - making it nearly calorie free, but even with the oil, its not bad!

http://www.pennilessparenting.com/2010/07/perfect-homemade-italian-dressing.html
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    The only light ranch that I like is Maries Yogurt Ranch....its in the refrigerated section by the produce.