Apartment Exercise. Suggestions?

Options

Replies

• SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    the "You are your own gym" program.

It's great. You can find a pdf of the book online, or you can buy the app. It's a paid app ($2.99 I think), but well worth the money.
  • katherine_startrek_fan
    Options
    Tae Bo and Leslie S. Walking videos could be good options as well.
  • _QueenE_
    _QueenE_ Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I do the Leslie Sansone walking dvds. Sometimes my 2 and 3 year old do it with me also, haha!
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,617 Member
    Options
    I don't have any suggestions other than walking outside. I just wanted to thank you, as someone who lives on the bottom floor, for caring enough not to want to disturb yours. :)
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    Danixkm wrote: »
    I'd recommend dancing as something that shouldn't make too much noise. Less to no jumping would be involved (though it would depend on the type of dance) maybe you could browse through a couple of dance workouts on youtube, see what you'd enjoy and what would be minimal noise. calisthenics would be good too. Sit ups, lunges, squats, crunches, push ups, planks etc. I'm sure there's a lot of other things if those don't appeal to you, I'm sure others can suggest better ideas.

I never heard of calisthenics. But will look into it

It's a little cooler if you call it 'body weight exercises' ;)

I'm on the third floor and I do lots of workouts at home. I can modify the parts where there is jumping, but I've also learned to land pretty softly.

• Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Greatist has some really great workouts - including a set to not disturb the neighbors
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,671 Member
    Options
    I love my TRX. All you need is a door to throw the straps over, and your body weight. It's harder than it looks!bv9gqgnsu7hr.jpg
  • adamitri
    adamitri Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    BinkyBonk wrote: »
    I love my TRX. All you need is a door to throw the straps over, and your body weight. It's harder than it looks!bv9gqgnsu7hr.jpg

I have that, though I'm always afraid I'll just break the door :/. I'm still a bit paranoid about things supporting my weight.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I bought a $100 stationary bike and use it all the time while watching my shows.

If you can afford it, buy some heavy weights too and try to do some weight training. Another option is to look up online for workouts with no impact.

LOVE my stationery bike! It doesn't even use electricity, and works both my arms and my legs.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Reminds me of a neighbour I had in an apartment with thin walls. Every morning like clockwork, a steady thumping against the wall. You know where my mind went, but I couldn't imagine very many couples could go at it so steady or for so long.
    It was exercise equipment, duh!
  • berlynnwall
    berlynnwall Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Im upstairs, and I got a stationary bike too. It is so nice for when it's too cold to go outside. I use it during my preschooler's nap time, or after he is in bed while I watch TV. I have several fitness DVDs - Leslie Sansone Walk at Home, 30 day Shred, and a Yoga one. When I do the 30 day Shred, I just go for it with the jumping jacks because it's not really that long. I just make sure I do it at a respectful time of day - not at 4am or 11pm. So far no one has called the police complaining of a herd of rhinos in the apartment above them. I also put my little guy in his stroller and walk when it's nice out. Totally doable.
  • Ideabaker
    Ideabaker Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Great thread; I also have a rebounder/mini trampoline with bungy strap connectors (rather than squeaky springs) for running, and the cardio segments of my fitness DVDs like 30 Day Shred (jumping jacks, jump rope, etc.). I also have a stationary bike and do body weight exercises for strength. My weighted hula hoop is great combined core/cardio work. When the weather is fine, I throw in outdoor exercise.
  • officemonique
    Options
    glassyo wrote: »
    I don't have any suggestions other than walking outside. I just wanted to thank you, as someone who lives on the bottom floor, for caring enough not to want to disturb yours. :)

Yes i try to be considerate considering i have a two year old who cant sit still any way lol. I try to keep her at the playground as much as possible
  • officemonique
    Options
    BinkyBonk wrote: »

I did this when i use to have a personal trainer it is very tough lol.
  • officemonique
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Reminds me of a neighbour I had in an apartment with thin walls. Every morning like clockwork, a steady thumping against the wall. You know where my mind went, but I couldn't imagine very many couples could go at it so steady or for so long.
    It was exercise equipment, duh!

Lol!
  • officemonique
    Options
    Thank you all for your suggestions. They really help out alot. I didnt realize it was so much that could be done in an apartment (upstairs). Im really glad i found this community also, now it feels like im super woman and can accomplish my weight loss goals. Thanks for your support!!!
  • erinelizabeth882
    erinelizabeth882 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    If you youtube "low impact" workout videos, you'll find good stuff for apartments without a lot of jumping. Also consider a YMCA if they have them in your area. They offer childcare and they will work with you to find an affordable rate if it's too expensive for you.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    I do yoga, pilates, light weights, and low (low) impact cardio (walking DVDs and the like). Plus some stuff I learned from my PT.

Then I also have a bike and go hiking/walking when the weather is good.
  • DearestWinter
    DearestWinter Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I like barre workouts. Barre3 has online videos.