HELP I AM A NIGHT SNACKER

Options
I need help here. I recently left weight watchers, followed their point system to a Tee and only lost 4 pounds in the 3 months that I was with them. I eat very healthy during the day because I pack my lunch and eat a fairly healthy dinner but seem to get hungry about an hour to 2 hours later. I don't bring junk food in my home but will find my self getting a small bowl of dry cheerios or a slice of toast or whatever. I don't like doing this. I have tried to actually think if I am actually hungry or just bored. It feels like I am actually hungry. The night snacking will tend to put me over the points I was allowed daily on WW or a little over the calories Im allowed during the day on Fitness Pal. What can I do to help with this?

Replies

• kbanzhaf
    kbanzhaf Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    Try eating more protein with your evening meal. It may help you feel full longer. You might also build in an evening snack into your calories for the day.
  • tyismc
    tyismc Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Thank you. Ill try that.
  • PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    If you're actually hungry, analyze what it is that you're eating for dinner. Possibly you need more protein and fat in your evening meal to help you feel full throughout the evening. Maybe your calories are set too low.

When I can't tell if I'm hungry or bored, I ignore it and find something less boring to do. If my stomach starts to growl (like actually, out loud) then I know I was actually hungry and I'll find a healthy snack.
  • ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    Opening your diary will help those wanting to give help/advice
  • str8bowbabe
    str8bowbabe Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I suggest the same...check that you are getting enough protein and when I get hungry later at night...I reach for water. This usually stays off the hunger until morning.
  • tyismc
    Options
    I drink so much water I feel like I drown. :) but it sounds like more protein maybe the answer. If I have pasta for dinner (which I normally eat whole wheat pasta) would that tend to make someone hungry a short time later?
  • szkodzt
    szkodzt Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Agree with the comments on more filling items throughout the day.

One thing that I noticed about myself that may pertain to you - for me it was more of a habit than an actual hunger thing. The longer I was on MFP and eating more filling foods and tracking I realized that I wasn't really hungry at night, I was just grabbing snacks because it was a habit. Lightbulb moment! Since I have realize that my night snacking has gone way down. If I am hungry I usually grab some popcorn and maybe a handful of dark chocolate chips and that satisfies me.
  • arguablysamson
    arguablysamson Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    tyismc wrote: »
    I need help here. I recently left weight watchers, followed their point system to a Tee and only lost 4 pounds in the 3 months that I was with them. I eat very healthy during the day because I pack my lunch and eat a fairly healthy dinner but seem to get hungry about an hour to 2 hours later. I don't bring junk food in my home but will find my self getting a small bowl of dry cheerios or a slice of toast or whatever. I don't like doing this. I have tried to actually think if I am actually hungry or just bored. It feels like I am actually hungry. The night snacking will tend to put me over the points I was allowed daily on WW or a little over the calories Im allowed during the day on Fitness Pal. What can I do to help with this?

Make a rule that you can only eat ONCE a day, followed by no calories. That way, you will break those annoying craving-following tendencies. You will also simplify your life and budget. Go here and here.

• SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Since it doesn't matter what time of day you eat, why not just save calories for your night time snack? It's what I do. I know I'm going to want a snack somewhere around 8:00 pm so I leave 100 calories or so. If I eat them, I have room, if I don't, it's not a big deal.
  • JessieLMay
    JessieLMay Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I am the same way. I know it's boredom though. I eat dinner too early, and go to bed too late. Until I change that, I always, always leave extra calories for the end of the day because I know I will never, ever resist a late night snack.
  • PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options

Make a rule that you can only eat ONCE a day, followed by no calories. That way, you will break those annoying craving-following tendencies. You will also simplify your life and budget. Go here and here.

Oh dear. Well, that's AN option, but not your ONLY option. I'd try some of the other things first.
  • tyismc
    Options
    Yah Im not big on eating once a day. That doesn't sound like its all together healthy. I do agree that it maybe a habit at this point.
  • jamie_lee80
    jamie_lee80 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I find that when I want to snack at night if I have a cup of flavored hot herbal tea that it does the trick. Its sweet and somehow it makes me not hungry anymore. If that doesn't work I eat a big dill pickle. No calories, just some sodium!
  • jacquir1113
    Options
    Why fight the habit, just regulate your daily calories to include a night snack. I always worked afternoon shift so my meals shifted to breakfast when I got up, lunch before I went to work and supper usually when I got home with a snack in the evening. Now that I don't work evenings any more I find it very hard not to want something to eat before bed and I am noted for craving something sweet. I can talk myself into feeling sick, having a headache, and a burning in my stomach if I don't have something so I trialed and errored. What works for me if I need something at about 9p is sugar free jello with a dollop of cool whip and sometimes a graham cracker.
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    I personally do not eat until noon(just not a hungry person in the morning), and save the bulk of my calories for lunch/dinner/snack. I also eat dinner around 8:30. This has worked the best for me because I am not fighting myself, I am going with my bodies eating patterns. If this works for you try it. Don't let anyone tell you it's unhealthy to eat that way, there are many many many healthy ways to lose weight. Try different things find out what works for you ;)
  • maiteacup
    Options
    Do you eat enough for breakfast? I used to snack at night and have an extra meal at 12. Its really bad. What I do is eat the things I crave for breakfast. I also eat a lot for lunch but with healthier food. I try to stop eating after 6 but if I'm hungry I would eat a light yogurt. Try to replace your snacks with heathlier options and it'll be okay to snack at night. Its really hard to skip the night snack but I loss a lot of belly fat from not eating so late. Try to sleep early so you will not get hungry. Good luck!!
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I would just plan an evening snack that fits your calorie goal.
    Make sure you are getting enough, protein, fiber and fats.

Are you exercising? Are you eating some of your calories earned through exercise? It is okay to do that.
    Is your calorie goal right? How much do you want to lose each week?
  • neaneacc
    neaneacc Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Are you getting enough water? I know it sounds weird, but many people mistake thirst for hunger. I would at least try drinking a full 8 oz glass to see if that helps. If not, then try brushing your teeth. I know that it sounds weird, but often this will signal to my body that I'm done eating for today. Additionally, it can't hurt to brush more.
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options

What sort of advice is that lol

OP open your diary so we can look at what you're eating?
  • tyismc
    Options
    I just started back up today but today. But for breakfast I had a 1 egg and 2 egg white omelet and apple. Lunch lean roast beef sandwhich with light mayo and celery with peanut butter for my 3 pm or around there I will eat a yogurt.