Elliptical machine is too hard?

Options
2»

Replies

• gibbsgirl76693
    gibbsgirl76693 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I needed to see this thread today. :D I can't do more than a few minutes on it either.
  • brightsideofpink
    brightsideofpink Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    If it makes you feel better, you're already doing better than me.

I've lost 60 lbs, I walk and/or run almost daily for the last 11 months. I can now run for over 30 minutes at a time and I'm feeling great about it. But 3 minutes on the elliptical makes me want to hurt someone.

It sounds like you're making great progress already.
  • Crys483
    Crys483 Posts: 18
    Options
    I have just recently started using my elliptical, and the first time I was winded after 5 min. I managed to make it 20 min. I kind of made a plan for my elliptical workout now. I have a great workout playlist of songs and I spend the first 4 min just going slow and getting into a rhythm. Then I go at a medium pace for a couple minutes then a fast pace for a minute, then recover for a minute. I find intervals of slow-med-high intensity really works well and after 3 weeks I am now up to 50-60 min on it. Good luck!!
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,717 Member
    Options
    mskarilynn wrote: »
    Thank you, both of you. You're so right. I think I just expected to get on that machine and have it be as easy for me as it was 5 years ago. But I'm heavier now and I am also much more out of shape. It's more disappointment than anything else, when you let yourself go. It's going to take time to get back to where I was. Life, right? :)

In reality though, you don't WANT it to be easy. If it was, you'd out-perform that machine in no time and then it would have been a waste of money. It's a good challenge for you now so you will get a LOT of use out of it.

If it's on the lowest resistance then you have lots of room for progress and can start adding in 30 sec. harder intervals. I see this as a good thing! Keep with it!
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,717 Member
    Options
    Also, this may be a completely different kind of elliptical than you used the first time. I've used many different ellipticals and they all provide a slightly different workout.

Sometimes I use the ones with the moving handles and use a higher resistance. My arms, shoulders, and upper back can feel it.

Sometimes I use the ones with stationary arms and I do NOT hold on at all. This provides a good core workout. Also, there are a couple that are just too big for me and I would probably risk an injury trying to use the full range of motion with the arm handles. Just a thought.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    You struggled at 3 minutes and were able to make it to 10 minutes. Maybe start doing 5 minutes 2X per day and then add time in 30 second increments? So Day 1: 5 minutes, break, 5 minutes. Day 2: 5:30 minutes, break, 5:30 minutes. Day 3: 6 minutes, break.... etc.

Don't give up!
  • MIM49
    MIM49 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I thought everyone was crazy when I was told I would be lucky if I could do 5 minutes when I first started to use mine. My experience was the same as yours: 3 minutes and I thought I was going to die. That was 6 mos ago. Now I do 30-60 minutes at a time and work up a sweat. I love/hate my helliptical. Keep at it. You can do it. I am 65, have lost 115 pounds and want to lose another 50-60.
  • Larissa_NY
    Larissa_NY Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Ellipticals are brutal when you first start on them. My first time on one, I was about 140 pounds and I still couldn't do more than five minutes without feeling like I was going to pass out. Good for you for keeping at it!
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Just apply some common sense. the first point of your exercise is to find out where your level is. It is where it is and by trying the machine, then you now know. You arent racing anyone just improving yourself. Its importnat you listen to your body and adjust. So try again tomorrow for 4 minutes and keep adding 1 minute each day until you get to a level you cant manage or is challenging.

With cardio there are 2 aspects of a workout , duration and intensity. Just do duration at the moment. If you get 500m one day see if you can get to 525 the next day or 4 mins one day then 5 the next.

Dont be dsicouraged or put unreasonable expectations on yourself. You will adjust and your fitness levels improve quite quickly. When i started on the rower it was about 1000m, today I did 22,000 (not without breaks)all on the basis of persistent application and paying attention to duration and intensity. As you lose weight it also gets easier because you arent carrying as much.

Pacing yourself is very important just keep a log and track where you are at. Be patient but keep applying yourself.
  • jdpemberton7
    jdpemberton7 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Great job staying with it! I'm sure we all get discouraged every now and then, but stay at it. Keep telling yourself, "I can, I will do this" it does get better the more you do it. Congratulate yourself every time you finish your workout and tell yourself you're worth it! :)
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    as has been said, it gets easier the more you do it, and the more weight you lose. its not a race. take your time. youll be just fine.

when i started i could barely do 10 minutes. now I can do an hour without any issue and am starting to move on to the arctrainer (little more difficult, better calorie burn). I can only do 30 minutes on that and at a pretty easy level, but just like with the elliptical, I'll get there. So will you :)