Question regarding lifting heavy...

Options
Hello. My name is Amanda and although I've been here for a while, I don't post much.

I was/am really inspired by all of your stories. I'm just starting out with weight lifting and I am highly motivated. I do have a question and I hope you don't mind me asking. I just don't know a lot about what I'm doing (yet).

I am currently at 238 pounds with 32% bodyfat. I have been lifting heavy for about 2 weeks now. However, I'm curious if I need to focus on losing more weight (body fat) BEFORE I lift anymore, or if I should continue to lift. I've only lost 3 pounds in the past 2 weeks and I feel like I'm not getting anywhere. I've been working out regularly and I have been eating lower carb, higher protein meals.

I would be so grateful for any helpful tips.

Thank you for your time,
Amanda

Replies

• pdwhitlock
    pdwhitlock Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    AmandaJ12 wrote: »
    Hello. My name is Amanda and although I've been here for a while, I don't post much.

I was/am really inspired by all of your stories. I'm just starting out with weight lifting and I am highly motivated. I do have a question and I hope you don't mind me asking. I just don't know a lot about what I'm doing (yet).

I am currently at 238 pounds with 32% bodyfat. I have been lifting heavy for about 2 weeks now. However, I'm curious if I need to focus on losing more weight (body fat) BEFORE I lift anymore, or if I should continue to lift. I've only lost 3 pounds in the past 2 weeks and I feel like I'm not getting anywhere. I've been working out regularly and I have been eating lower carb, higher protein meals.

I would be so grateful for any helpful tips.

Thank you for your time,
    Amanda

Hi Amanda! I started at 250 lbs and I'm currently at 197 lbs. Some months I did not do lifting as a form of fitness and just did light cardio. Other months, I've spiked my cardio and lift heavy and the last three months I have focused more on my form rather than weight loss. Each month, I weigh in, take pics and take my body fat composition. The months I wasn't listing, I lost more weight but my fat percentage didn't drop as much and my body didn't seem as firm as it is now that I'm lifting. Lifting heavy seemed to maybe slow my loss a bit (but of course weight loss may slow anyways the smaller you get) but I feel I look better and feel better and my fat percentage has a more dramatic change. So I guess it depends on your goals. You can still lose weight when you are lifting as long as you maintain your deficit in calorie intake. My routine is to stretch, lift, 30 mins of cardio, stretch again.

Best of luck and I hope that helps a little!
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    A pound and a half a week is a respectable weight loss. What is your "set" calorie deficit per day?

I'd recommend that you keep lifting -- that will help keep your body from burning muscle in addition to the fat.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Keep lifting
  • pittsingersg
    pittsingersg Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    You will get so many different replies. Here are the facts: muscle Burns fat. Cardio sheds weight. There was a larger gal doing crossfit and she is a beast! She prolly lost weight but in the year that i was working out she only looked to be getting stronger instead of losing weight. Half of the battle is eating right. Eat healthy, don't starve yourself, and working out well deliver good results.

So, yes, lift weights. But put in some good cardio at LEAST 3 days a week for half an hour minimum. Eat healthy, home cooked meals and smaller portions of those meals.

You can do this and it will work. It won't happen over night tho.

My routine:
    Monday: legs + run
    Tuesday: rest
    Wednesday: chest + run
    Thursday: back + run
    Friday: arms + run
    Saturday: abs or/& a smaller combo of muscle groups + run
    Since your already (most likely) at a gym there is no reason not to get it over with and do the run too.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    keep lifting...I wish I had known the benefits when I started losing...I didn't start until almost 6 months in...*cries* the time I lost :'(
  • SezxyStef
    edited April 2015
    Options
    You will get so many different replies. Here are the facts: muscle Burns fat. Cardio sheds weight. There was a larger gal doing crossfit and she is a beast! She prolly lost weight but in the year that i was working out she only looked to be getting stronger instead of losing weight. Half of the battle is eating right. Eat healthy, don't starve yourself, and working out well deliver good results.

So, yes, lift weights. But put in some good cardio at LEAST 3 days a week for half an hour minimum. Eat healthy, home cooked meals and smaller portions of those meals.

My routine:
    Since your already (most likely) at a gym there is no reason not to get it over with and do the run too.

@pittsingersg

Bolded parts nope...cardio helps with heart health and burns calories, lifting helps retain muscle while in a deficit and burns calories. Deficit is needed for weight loss.

90% of the battle is eating in a deficit...not "eating right"

to the parts in the italics why??????? I lost almost 60lbs and did hardly any cardio and ate out, fast food, drank liquor, bbq'd...in other words lived life.

• AmandaJ12
    AmandaJ12 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone. I really appreciate everyone's thoughts and opinions.
  • Sweet_Heresy
    Sweet_Heresy Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I've been lifting heavy for 6 weeks and trust me, it takes the scale a bit to catch up. Your muscles will retain fluid as they repair, which will cause the scale to go up/stay the same.

Take pictures. Its one of the best measures of progress. If I hadn't I probably would have gotten frustrated and quit...but even if the scale doesn't move as quick as you want, you will see big changes.

Good luck!
  • katerunstheworld
    Options
    Ryudori wrote: »
    I've been lifting heavy for 6 weeks and trust me, it takes the scale a bit to catch up. Your muscles will retain fluid as they repair, which will cause the scale to go up/stay the same.

Take pictures. Its one of the best measures of progress. If I hadn't I probably would have gotten frustrated and quit...but even if the scale doesn't move as quick as you want, you will see big changes.

Good luck!

I agree, keep lifting heavy and have a modest calorie deficit with plenty of protein- give your muscles pleny of fuel to repair themselves. You will lose inches before you lose pounds but it will feel so much better and be more sustainable in the long run :)
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    I knew lifting heavy was good for burning fat, but oh man, the more I did it, the harder it was to maintain a deficit. I did adapted stronglifts (5X3 instead of 5X5) two separate times in a one year period, but couldn't stick with it for more than 6 weeks because I was so hungry. I could and did do a lot of cardio while at a deficit and ate back about 30-70% of my calories and felt satisfied. When I lift I am always hungry. I needed to focus on cutting to get the results I wanted. Now that I'm closer to my goal, I'm going to do another round of lifting and see how it goes.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    The earlier you start lifting the less muscle you will lose! This means you will be a lower BF% at your goal weight, or hit your goal BF% at a higher weight than you thought you would.
    You may not have lost as much as you expected due to your muscles storing more water than usual do to the recently added activity. Once your body gets accustomed to the new routine your muscle will shed most of the excess water.

Are you following any specific routine? I would suggest going with a tried tested and true begginer heavy lifting program (starting strength, strong lifts, new rules of lifting, strong curves, etc.), no need to try and re-invent the wheel.
  • Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    Hi Amanda! Long story short, I would definitely encourage you to keep lifting. I know it might be frustrating to see little movement in your weight, but getting stronger does wonderful things for your body, and keep in mind that you lose both fat and muscle when you’re at a deficit so it’s always a good idea to try and hold on to muscle.

To give you an idea of where I’m coming from, I’m 5’4" at 135lbs now and my SW was 180ish. I lost about 40 pounds with running and watching my food intake over 2 years ago, and now I decided I want to get to my “ideal” weight/body fat. I did some lifting a year ago but stopped working out for various reasons. I just got back into lifting about a month ago because I’d rather have a strong tight body than be super light - I’m sure you’ve seen photos around here of people at say 130lbs looking better than at 120 because they have muscle mass.

My routine is strength training 3 times a week (soreness permitting, I never lift if I’m sore) using the Starting Strength program and 5k runs on non-lifting days, with one day off. I eat around 1300/day with loads of protein (cca 130g). I started at 138.5 and actually gained weight at first, went well over 140. The body retains water to rebuild muscles. It’s only this week that the scale actually started moving down, and I lost 3.5lbs out of the blue, and 1/2” off my waist. Point is, a tape measure can be more instructive than the scale - don’t let that get to you! I also gained loads of strength on my lifts (e.g. from 90 to 115 on squats). As I get closer to 125 I will up my caloric intake and just lift like a madwoman.

I wish you the best of luck and I’ve no doubt you can reach your goals. I hope this helps, and if you’ve got any questions, let me know. :smile:
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    OP - yes keep lifting and losing fat. My question is, are you on a structured program or is it one that you just designed on your own??
  • pittsingersg
    pittsingersg Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »

My routine:

@pittsingersg

Bolded parts nope...cardio helps with heart health and burns calories, lifting helps retain muscle while in a deficit and burns calories. Deficit is needed for weight loss.

to the parts in the italics why??????? I lost almost 60lbs and did hardly any cardio and ate out, fast food, drank liquor, bbq'd...in other words lived life.

Okay, yes, cardio is good for the heart and burning calories is one thing that helps you "shed" weight.

To your answer as to why: cardio has been shown to improve the mood, the more i run the happier i am, the more i want to do it again. Seriously, to get faster results this is a good way to do it. Weights and cardio...

You don't have to be in a very low deficient but i did say eat healthy and eat less.
    I'm guessing you ate what you wanted but less of it? I would like to hear your story. I love life, love to eat what tastes great and drink with my friends but my body isn't built for that as a daily thing. My metabolism is sluggish due to bad genetics. So if you have a way for me to "enjoy life" more, please share. (Seriously, i want to know)
    Thanks
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options

My routine:

Interesting.

I lost 30 pounds not doing a minute of cardio.
  • AmandaJ12
    AmandaJ12 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much. I'm so motivated. Just want to keep it up. To those asking about what program I am on...I copied a workout routine from bodybuilding dot com and I do arms/chest on Mon/Legs and abs on Tues/shoulders and back on Wed and legs again on Thur. After each weight session, I run 1 mile. I just hope I'm doing this right :)
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    AmandaJ12 wrote: »
    Thank you all so much. I'm so motivated. Just want to keep it up. To those asking about what program I am on...I copied a workout routine from bodybuilding dot com and I do arms/chest on Mon/Legs and abs on Tues/shoulders and back on Wed and legs again on Thur. After each weight session, I run 1 mile. I just hope I'm doing this right :)

that sounds like an OK plan..

as you are new to lifting, I might suggest a beginner program like starting strength, strong lifts, or new rules of lifting for woman....
  • Keladelphia
    Keladelphia Posts: 820 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I've lost a significant amount of weight twice, about 12 years ago and just this past year. The first time I lost weight I did cardio solely (and diet of course). This time I did very little cardio and a TON of strength training. I had to be a little more strict with my calorie deficit this this time around since I wasn't burning a ton of calories from cardio but after seeing the change in body shape (at the exact same weight) this time with strength training vs. last time with solely cardio I would never skip heavy weight training again.
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    I knew lifting heavy was good for burning fat, but oh man, the more I did it, the harder it was to maintain a deficit. I did adapted stronglifts (5X3 instead of 5X5) two separate times in a one year period, but couldn't stick with it for more than 6 weeks because I was so hungry. I could and did do a lot of cardio while at a deficit and ate back about 30-70% of my calories and felt satisfied. When I lift I am always hungry. I needed to focus on cutting to get the results I wanted. Now that I'm closer to my goal, I'm going to do another round of lifting and see how it goes.

We all get hungrier lifting...we fill up on protein. It's not just for muscle repair but it keeps you feeling fuller longer.

SezxyStef wrote: »

My routine:

@pittsingersg

Okay, yes, cardio is good for the heart and burning calories is one thing that helps you "shed" weight.

To your answer as to why: cardio has been shown to improve the mood, the more i run the happier i am, the more i want to do it again. Seriously, to get faster results this is a good way to do it. Weights and cardio...

You don't have to be in a very low deficient but i did say eat healthy and eat less.
    I'm guessing you ate what you wanted but less of it? I would like to hear your story. I love life, love to eat what tastes great and drink with my friends but my body isn't built for that as a daily thing. My metabolism is sluggish due to bad genetics. So if you have a way for me to "enjoy life" more, please share. (Seriously, i want to know)
    Thanks

Yes burning calories helps with the deficit but you can't outrun over eating...you can't out lift it either (well bulking aside)...exercise gives you more calories to eat is how I look at it.

I lose on 1800 (winter months) as I don't do as much for exercise in the winter months by choice...in the summer I lose on 2400...probably more this summer as I plan on incorporating more cardio.

My story is yo yo'ing for 20 years...from 165-205 and getting sick of being fat. Came here, relearned what I knew from my early 20s in the military (calories, weights and food scales). I did circut training eating 1400 calories and eating exercise calories back lost weight, moved to heavy lifting and TDEE and at 1600-1800 a day for the next year and lost a total of 60lbs and built my lifts from starter lifts of 45lb bench to 130lb bench, 60lb squat to 200lbs etc. I have eaten chocolate every night since September 2013, had my fast food usually once a week, drink when I want but that's not everyday (choosing lower calorie items such as vodka w/club soda) and I went to maintenance last summer at 155lbs and continued to lose as I reverse dieted and ended up at 143lbs...gained some over Christmas and my latest trip south (hence the 8lbs I want to lose now) but I am still lifting...

As for metabolism being sluggish...eh...metabolic disorders aren't very common (unless you've been diagnosed)you are probably eating more than they think...can't really tell as your food diary is closed.

As for how to "enjoy life" eat the good food that tastes good, have a drink daily just stay in your goal but enjoying life doesn't always involve food/drinks...my enjoyment comes from lifting, biking, swimming and hopefully running (which I will be starting this summer)...it can be done....start with buying a food scale and logging accurately and consistently ....the rest falls into place.
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,472 Member
    Options
    I eat WHATEVER I want, just control how MUCH of it I consume. Keep total calories at or below threshold, keep my protein up, fill up the rest with whatever I want. Sodas, cookies, cake, pizza, burgers, it's all fair game as long as you are conscientious about how much you put away. (For example, two slices of pizza rather than the four I know I can eat, fill up with salad if still hungry.)

I lift, I eat, I lost weight and have kept it off. I enjoy life, all it takes is 2 minutes of planning each day.