Wanted: body-positive people who want to make lifestyle changes

Options
Bodies are beautiful, no matter their size. Food is not the enemy. Exercise is not punishment. I'm here to increase and maintain health, ya dig?

Replies

• aprilbertin18
    aprilbertin18 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Same here. I want to look hot too along the way,but my main goal is to be healthy. Inside out
  • TheBitSlinger
    TheBitSlinger Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Welcome! You're starting out with a good view of the process. I've lost 185 pounds but am still struggling not to see myself as "fat", but I do have a positive addiction to exercise now. ;)
  • daniellesue2012
    daniellesue2012 Posts: 2
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Okay I'm new to this app. I've lost 20pounds in two months from working out and not eating to big of meals a day anymore.. But I'm also struggling not seeing myself as (fat) I'm trying my hardest to think and be positive. Also trying to be more active thru out the day.
  • melissaevameyer
    Options
    @neelybaugh:
    I am so on board. It has been a weird brain hurdle to try to justify both fat acceptance and also the attempt to become less fat. I spent so long making my brain understand that my body is beautiful no matter what that making a weight loss attempt feels opposed to that in some ways. Anyone else having this little mental struggle?
  • neelybaugh
    neelybaugh Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    @melissaevameyer I am in a very similar place. I want to improve my eating and exercise habits, but I have struggled with perfectionism all my life and don't want to exacerbate that. Having trouble finding the balance between "all bodies are beautiful" and "I am allowed to make decisions about how I take care of my body."
  • melissaevameyer
    Options
    Yeah and trying to keep self-shame out of this process is impossible, I'm finding. It's really easy to slide into that, "I shouldn't have eaten that" mindset now, which went hand-in-hand with past experiences before I came to body acceptance. Foof, it's hard.
  • jasmilealverca123
    Options
    I'm new on here, I want to get on the local volleyball team but the coach says we have to be fit. I weigh 186 and I plan on weighing 130 by the end of the summer.
  • deannab22
    deannab22 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I feel ya. Slowly but surely, I've come to (most of the time) feel totally accepting of my own body, but now that it's getting hot & I'm showing more skin, dealing with other people's opinions of my body are starting to creep in. And on top of that, I work as a lifeguard at a health club, so there's just lots of confusion going on.
  • gottagettoguatemala
    gottagettoguatemala Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Word! I think it can be a struggle to remember that I am lovely just how I am... but truth is I am guenienly happier when I work out (I actually really enjoy it and need it to destress) and don't eat total crap or like, 3 times the amount of food to maintain my body weight. It's a balance though, cause I can go the other way of overexercising and missing out on life just because I'm afraid to put on weight. The struggle is real. :)