Protein shakes?

Are they good for you? Do they help with weight loss? Why do they taste like pure *kitten*?? So many questions!

Replies

• Building_Bulk
    Building_Bulk Posts: 20,596 Member
    Some taste terrible...some taste fine. You just have to keep trying different ones until you find one that works for you. Personally I use Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard Whey - French Vanilla. I mix it with almond milk and a little unsweetened cocoa powder and I enjoy the taste.
  • vfit10
    vfit10 Posts: 228 Member
    The key is Research and reviews . Some of them taste like chit others like pure heaven
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Do they help with weight loss? not specifically, there is nothing magic in them that will help you lose. They can be a handy meal replacement in a pinch or a great way to boost protein intake if you need to.

The taste? I am guessing you just have not found a brand you like.

The good for you bit, well, I don't really know since I have seen people here have such a wide definition of what is good for you. It would also vary from brand to brand.
  • HowlinAl
    HowlinAl Posts: 277 Member
    If I'm way low on my protein for the day I might have one. I'd rather get the protein elsewhere. I haven't found a shake yet that I thought tasted very good.
  • sigalsirkin
    sigalsirkin Posts: 59 Member
    I prefer eating protein bars. Much tastier.
  • aklynz
    aklynz Posts: 1
    I finally found an amazing protein that tastes great and isn't packed full of sugar! Protein shakes are great for people on the go. Throw in a banana or some sliced fruit for an extra kick and flavor! Yummy!
  • RageQuitP90x
    RageQuitP90x Posts: 11
    edited April 2015
    Protein Shakes should be used for what they are.... a supplement to a good diet. I use mine as one of my daily snacks. I get a boost to my protein but the majority of it comes from my natural foods.

I use BIOX Whey Chocolate..... one of the best tasting protein powders I have ever had.
  • dieselbyte
    dieselbyte Posts: 733 Member
    aklynz wrote: »
    I finally found an amazing protein that tastes great and isn't packed full of sugar! Protein shakes are great for people on the go. Throw in a banana or some sliced fruit for an extra kick and flavor! Yummy!

If your protein isn't packed full of sugar, throw some fruit in there to pack it full of... sugar?

Lol, I just had to... o:)

• peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    But... But... Sugar is the DEBBIL!
  • BioQueen
    BioQueen Posts: 694 Member
    I like my shake because I can make it taste awesome. I also tend to feel bloated easily so if I drink something instead of eat then I don't feel so icky. I use VegaOne chocolate flavor with almond milk and a banana (which is the magic ingredient that makes it taste great). I also usually fall short of my protein goals without it. The VegaOne also has carbs and fat as well as protein, so it can be used more of as a meal replacement as well as a protein shake.