Need Chip Replacement!

Options
mfreeby
mfreeby Posts: 199 Member
People!!! I love chips. I don't eat them, but I love them. However, I NEED some sort of munchie replacement that doesn't have carbs because if there are carbs involved, I can't help myself but overeat. I've tried the Kale chips but they aren't great if you make them yourself and the store ones are really expensive and have 200 cals per ounce!!! I've tried to turn zuchinni into chips as well with no luck. Has anyone found a low cal, low fat, low carb substitute???

Replies

• ambie35
    ambie35 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    bump
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    I love eating dill pickle crispers or dill pickle mini crisps (like miniature rice cakes really)
    I'm sure they both have carbs but it's all about portion control. Portion it out for yourself in a little baggie, when it's gone, it's gone.
  • Last_15
    Last_15 Posts: 129
    Options
    How about corn tortillas? I use a pizza cutter and cut each one into 8 pieces, spray a cookie sheet, then bake at 350 for 8-10 minutes. Only 90 calories, 19 carbs, 1 fat, 2 fiber and really low in salt and crunchy :)
  • ket_the_jet
    ket_the_jet Posts: 1,257 Member
    Options
    I eat a ton of baby-cut carrots. Maybe not exactly what you are looking for, but I love them.
    -wtk
  • tandroes
    tandroes Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    i haven't checked the carbs or fat on popchips but they have original, salt & vinegar and bbq... that i've tried anyway. and there is only 120 calories for 23 chips (give or take a chip... can't remember exactly) and they are actually really good. chips are my downfall, i'd rather have them than chocolate!
  • Angela4Health
    Angela4Health Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    I now eat sweet potatoes instead of chips.
  • jamieguin
    jamieguin Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Try Trader Joe'S salt and pepper rice crisps. Hope you like them.
  • ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
    Options
    Special K cracker chips - sour cream and onion. YUMM-O
  • Joyjmb
    Joyjmb Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I have a food dehydrator, so sweet potato chips out of it are really great - a little olive oil and some cayenne pepper.
  • megz4987
    megz4987 Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    Pirates booty! low cal and pretty healthy. I do believe they're carbtastic but they're decently good for you so I don't feel too guilty when I do over indulge on them
  • mmensah
    mmensah Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Use Smartfood popcorn (white cheddar cheese) they only have 100 calories and 180 sodium and 9 grams of carbs...they are very healthy also you can use carrots as well to replace chips just use lowfat dressing and they taste like sour cream potatoe chips..umm umm
  • Mirabilis
    Mirabilis Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    You might not believe that it can be addictive, but...

celery.

*crunchcrunchcrunchcrunchcrunch* and it makes your mouth feel clean, cleaner than toothpaste, even.

Also, it goes very well with low fat yogurt salad dressing as a dip.

Mirii
  • pittsblue99
    pittsblue99 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Special K sea salt cracker chips
  • hilhall822
    hilhall822 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I agree with the special k chips (sour cream & onion are SO good!). I am also super into the Trader Joe's savory rice crackers- multiseed with soy- you get a ton of them for only 110.
  • sandyw127
    sandyw127 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    the sea salt one is good too..

Special K cracker chips - sour cream and onion. YUMM-O
  • Furrytreats
    Furrytreats Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Seconding the Popchips. I "accidentally" ate the whole bag last month and was so relieved to find it was only 360 calories. Not great, but MUCH better than if I'd stuffed my face with Lays. Oooh Lays, dammit now I want chips.
  • tandroes
    tandroes Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Seconding the Popchips. I "accidentally" ate the whole bag last month and was so relieved to find it was only 360 calories. Not great, but MUCH better than if I'd stuffed my face with Lays. Oooh Lays, dammit now I want chips.
    i think i could do a whole bag too!
  • SlipperySlope
    Options
    I know it's not carb-free, but I like to eat plain (though gently salted) popcorn. It satisfies my salt cravings without too much damage to the calorie count. (1 c. of air-popped popcorn is about 30 calories.)

More interesting popcorn facts: http://www.livestrong.com/article/328529-plain-popcorn-nutrition/
  • cindosaur
    cindosaur Posts: 2
    Options
    This isn't "low carb" as a rule, but for the same amount of carbs as a regular potato, and if you limit yourself to one potato, this is how I get by my chip cravings when in super diet mode. I experimented in the kitchen, and found a way to make fat-free potato chips.

Get yourself one of those salad shooter things, or get really good with a knife. You need to make super-thin slices of potato. The thinner the better because the thinner you make them the more chips you can have. This is a game of quantity - a thick chip pretty much eats the same as a thin chip. It's snacking behavior.

Then you get a cookie sheet and spray it with fat-free cooking spray lightly. Spread your chips out all over the cookie sheet, and then spray the chips with a top coat of fat-free cooking spray. Put them in the over (I stick them in at 425, but you might have to experiment). I leave them in for 8 minutes, then flip them all over and leave them in until they get golden brown. You'll have to get this adjusted right for your thickness of chip and oven, but there is NOTHING like a homemade potato chip. You can go with different kinds of potatoes - my favorites are russet and plain old yellow potatoes. In my opinion, I'd rather have a small bowl full of these (and count them as I would any potato) than the bagged ones, any day. When they're still warm, they're just fabulous. I posted this recipe on Tastebook.com but I can't link it right now b/c I forget my password and I'll have to go through the forgot password process again.
  • sharidiane
    sharidiane Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Ok, so they're not carb free, but they are chock full of good carbs: Food Should Taste Good Multi Grain Chips. Paired with Salsa = omg yummy.