P90X help

Options
In "Chest and Back" in move 12 "back flys," why are these called back flys when the movement seems more like a bent over seated row? Am I misunderstanding the move?

Replies

• nudacris
    nudacris Posts: 25
    Options
    The bent over row motion is more like bringing the elbows up. Back flies are more like bringing the elbows together.
  • sahm23ladies
    sahm23ladies Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    In a seated row you'd be keeping your wrists close together and pulling the dumbells to your chest in a singular movement a la rowing a boat. With the flys, you are spreading your arms in order to squeeze your shoulder blades together to work your back. Make sure you squeeze your elbows back instead of wrenching them up to the ceiling... a completely different move there.

I'm on my 2nd round of p90x and actually did that workout this morning!

Good luck! Hope that helps!!

Andrea
  • ButterflyKristen
    ButterflyKristen Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! I'm actually in week 11 (blush), but have always been confused on this, no matter how many times Tony says: "Like this, not this". To me, the two movements look the same when he does them. Your explanation makes a huge difference. Thanks!!!
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Imagine squeezing your shoulder blades together in the back, it helps me get the form right. Not too high on your arms, its a pull back not a lift up.
  • ButterflyKristen
    ButterflyKristen Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Imagine squeezing your shoulder blades together in the back, it helps me get the form right. Not too high on your arms, its a pull back not a lift up.

Excellent. Thanks!