Best way to slim down thighs

Options
kirdyq
kirdyq Posts: 165 Member
What would you all recommend? I have always had a slender build, and used to have long, lean toned legs. I've let the desk job get the best of me, and now I've added on some extra padding. I'm just finishing up 21 day fix as a way to get my butt back in the game of exercise. Wondering what would work well for this.

And I must add - I workout at home. 30 minutes a day is the max I can fit in right now after kids are in bed.

Replies

• MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    They say you can't spot reduce but when I joined the New York Sports Club, started taking 12 classes a week - 2 of them Spin - I lost 7 inches from EACH thigh. But that's me, with older kids. I don't know if 30 minutes a day can do that for you.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    You can't spot reduce, so no matter the exercise your body will decide where the fat will come off of first. Continue to eat at a deficit and exercise.

What type of exercise are you doing?
  • kirdyq
    Options
    Bummer. I guess I didn't realize that there weren't certain types of exercise that may give you a boost in one area over another. So, for example, if you are doing ab work - crunches, etc - the ab muscles would be specifically targeted and strengthened, but the fat you burn working out on your abs would just come off from all over your body (wherever your body wants) rather than just your belly area?

Right now I'm doing the 21 day fix. Each day is different, and you workout each day. The schedule is cardio, upper body, lower body, pilates, cardio, dirty 30 (a mix of everything), and then yoga as the "off" day. And then there is an eating plan that goes along with it.

I took measurements prior, and will take them again at the end, which is this Sunday. So I guess I will see then if it's slimmed my thighs any. I have hopped on the scale a couple times, and I've lost in between 4 - 5 lbs depending on the day.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I find that wherever you put the weight on first, is the last place to go! I'm losing pregnancy weight and could feel it going on my thighs early on in pregnancy, despite working out until 38 weeks and walking lots, and now 11 months post partum it is still being stubborn!

I found after my 2nd baby it was the last place I lost from too, but it did go eventually. I do find strength training helps though.

Just carry on eating at a deficit and exercising.
  • kirdyq
    Options
    Dawnie - I feel like pregnancy increased the size of my thighs as well. I feel like my whole pelvis changed, so I'm not sure I'll ever be exactly the same (which is fine), but I sure would like to lose the extra padding on my thighs. Then whatever will be will be.

Then, in November I was put on medication for headaches, and since then, I gained 10 pounds and a lot of it went to my belly this time. I've never gained weight in this fashion before. :neutral:
  • sushiandtea
    sushiandtea Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    As everyone says, it's just a matter of deficit and exercise (which helps with toning). And a big dose of 'fingers-crossed' that you're one of those people who lose weight from your thighs fast. I personally find it the hardest place to slim down; I lose inches everywhere else but mere millimetres from my legs. :cry:
  • kirdyq
    Options
    Sushi - I doubt I am one to lose it fast from the thighs either! That would be way to easy...lol! :(
  • futuremanda
    futuremanda Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    kirdyq wrote: »
    Bummer. I guess I didn't realize that there weren't certain types of exercise that may give you a boost in one area over another. So, for example, if you are doing ab work - crunches, etc - the ab muscles would be specifically targeted and strengthened, but the fat you burn working out on your abs would just come off from all over your body (wherever your body wants) rather than just your belly area?

Yep.

You create a consistent calorie deficit over time. Your body has energy needs (from living, working, exercising) and these needs are now not being met with food. It will tap into the fat stores it created for just such a time. (As well as other tissues, actually, including muscle.) The fact that you did crunches that day or whatever does not tell the body to take the fat stored over those muscles. It'll take from wherever, when it needs to. (Genetics being a big influence on where it takes first.)

On the upside, strength training can help signal to your body that your muscles are really super duper important, and so your body will pick fat to burn for energy a bit more often than it would if you were sedentary. So you may lose less muscle mass with weight loss if you are strength training. (I'm simplifying.)

That said, in my personal experience, getting stronger helps me like my body better, even though I am not super lean or anything (I am in the "overweight" category). Transforming a part of your body that you don't like, to be able to do awesome things, is empowering. Sort of like... do you want weak and not very lean arms, or not very lean arms that can support you in a handstand?
  • BigLifter10
    BigLifter10 Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    I find that wherever you put the weight on first, is the last place to go! I'm losing pregnancy weight and could feel it going on my thighs early on in pregnancy, despite working out until 38 weeks and walking lots, and now 11 months post partum it is still being stubborn!

I found after my 2nd baby it was the last place I lost from too, but it did go eventually. I do find strength training helps though.

Just carry on eating at a deficit and exercising.

So nice to hear it does actually, eventually GO. I have been fighting upper inner thigh area fat for what feels like forever. I'm pretty happy overall, but holy cow does that seem to hold on (and I never had kids)! What always works the best for me, overall, as far as slimming legs is to add in long walks or longer runs. I've tried so many things, but it comes down to basics for my legs. Works every time - maybe if I tighten my diet up more (nah, I'll have to walk). :/
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    Strength training and cycling (with resistance & fast)
  • Firefly_71
    Firefly_71 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I don't know if I agree that it is impossible to spot reduce via exercise. Yes, you lose fat all over your body, but focusing on certain areas can be extremely beneficial. And focusing on your lower body may even give you more bang for your buck -- because that is where your major muscle groups are: meaning you will most likely burn more calories by focusing on your lower body. I've found success with Mari Windsor's pilates. She has videos that focus on the lower body. Most of her videos are in the 20 to 30 minute range. They are also really great for the core. Try YouTube if you want to preview them. Haven't tried spinning (not there yet!) but I suspect it could be great for similar reasons.
  • kirdyq
    Options
    Thanks Firefly! Up above I wrote out the schedule of exercises each day for 21 day fix. That lower body day...has me sweating worse than either of the cardio days!!! LOL! Definitely are using the major muscles on that one!!

Big Lifter - I'm glad you mentioned walking and running, b/c I really feel like when I did a lot more of that in college my legs never really got too bad. I would kind of expect that would help your legs out in some form or fashion.