really confused about "net"

Options
so mfp says i have to eat 1340 cals a day, ive worked out today and earned 217cals, so i have like 693 left for the day and plan to walk tonight. right now it says my net cals is 647. and do i have to use all of the 693 calories?

dont know what this means or even what i am supposed to do with this.

i know this ? has been asked a million and one times and ive tried to research and figure it out on my own but i am still very confused. can someone please help me with this.

Replies

• Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    MFP's caloric goal for you includes a deficit for your chosen rate of loss WITHOUT lifting a finger in exercise.
    Exercising burns calories so extends the deficit to what may be an unsustainable rate. MFP's plan is for you to eat back your exercise calories.
  • teamsaris
    teamsaris Posts: 30
    Options
    When you exercise you ADD those calories to your daily total...so you should be eating 1500+ cals today.
  • roxanea
    roxanea Posts: 59
    Options
    Some people say that you need to eat back all of your excercise calories and others say that you need to eat back half of your excercies calories.

Personally for me when I work out I usually have anywhere from 300 to 600 calories that I get back. Somedays I will eat half of what I burned and other days I will eat none of them. It all depends on how hungery I am.

As for the Net Calories from my understanding that is the amount of calories you ate when you take what your actual calorie intake was and what your calorie out put was.

Some people pay close attention to their net calories, as for me I watch what my actual calorie intake is.

You just need to find what works for you and listen to your body. Your body will tell you if you need to eat the calories you gained from excercising.

Hope this information answers your question.
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    YES!
    SO say you haven't touched your calories, and you worked out in the morning before breakfast and burned 217 calories:

So your NET calories before working out are
    when you work out and burn 217 calories your new NET calories are
    because working out is like subtraction

so to get it back up to 1340 net calories you have add an aditional 217 calories

SO your net calories will be
    but your calories eaten (1340) plus your work out (217)

so you are really eating 1557 but with the exercise it NETS you at 1340

Hopefully this makes sense.
  • schninie82
    schninie82 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    In theory yes...but for me I find it hard especially when I drink lots of water all day, I'm too full... I dont usually them ALL back, just eat INTO them so I always have some left over, apart from my treat days, I'll usually go over...so for the week, I suppose it would even themselves out...For me personally, I make sure I eat my minimum 1200 per day, so MFP cant tell me Im not eating enough... You just have to see what works for you..For me, I'm still losing a stead 1-2lb per week...Good Luck
  • annacataldo
    annacataldo Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    the big green number that says "___ calories remaining" is what u want to pay attention to. The net calories is your caloric intake minus excercise = net calories, which gives you ___calories remaining.
  • jeff261159
    jeff261159 Posts: 385
    Options
    your net calories is whats left after what youve eaten (deductions) and what youve earned (additions). I try and make sure that my net is within 10 - 15% of my calorie goal. I have failed miserably as i seem to be enjoying my jogging but dont see the point in the pain if all im going to do is put the calories back in!!!What im doing seems to be working. Hope my explanation helps
  • tarheelgrl32
    tarheelgrl32 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    thanks for all the feedback, its making much more sense now!!

:)