hate my thighs

Options
I feel like the more i exercise the more big my thigh gets!! suggestions!!!!!!????

Replies

• simonsaysmx
    simonsaysmx Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Definitely genetics play a part in your problem. Though bigger thighs are nice on a woman, some hate it and some learn to love it, you obviously put muscle on easy on your thighs. Try a calorie deficit and some hitt cardio
  • LovelyIvy466
    LovelyIvy466 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Seconded for cardio, although it could also just be a matter of time. Sometimes you gain more muscle before you really start to lose fat, or you are losing fat but not from the thighs (seems like the place you want to see shrink the most is always the last to go). Keep going, be consistent, focus on reducing body fat (HIIT cardio is great, but if you are a beginner and not there yet, regular cardio is a good place to start).
  • bettybing1
    bettybing1 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    BUT, are they getting more toned? Also, maybe measure them because they probably are shrinking. It could be that you lose weight more easily elsewhere and it coming off your thighs will happen more slowly. Don't hate yourself for excellent thigh power!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Well defined quads are hot!

Are your legs actually getting bigger or is it a case of noticing more definition as you lose fat (outside of newbie gains it's unlikely that you're putting on muscle if you're eating at a deficit) Take measurements......
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    Probably you are not getting bigger - because women simply don't bulk easily. More than likely, you have created some definition and you may have changed the shape of your body in general - have you measured your waist and your hips lately? We change all over.

Also, have you actually measured your thighs or are you going by what you see in a mirror. If I'm in a gym and watching myself in the mirror, changing mirrors can change the way I look. lol Some mirrors distort you.

Finally, sometime's I think my thighs look larger than other times, but the way my clothing fits doesn't change and that's often a better way of thinking about myself that my self-perception.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    To the OP, I have really thick thighs. I lost 9 pounds and my leg went down an inch and 1/2. Started doing squats, lunges and do cardio (lift three days and cardio three days) and my legs are back where they were 9 pounds ago.

I am pissed off at my legs (for real) because if they get bigger I will need to move into another size jeans so I decided to continue the lifting and cardio because underneath all of this fat layering on my legs and butt, there is a really nice set of muscles.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Relax...there is a 99% chance that your thighs are not actually getting bigger. As women, we all tend to have one body part that our eyes are drawn to, and it always seems HUGE even when it's not.

Keep exercising, and don't worry about your thighs as long as you can still fit them in your pants.

I used to have some big, fat thighs. Over the last few years, I've lost a few inches by running on the treadmill and lifting weights. They are still big, but they are solid. My quads and hamstrings are obvious...but I have had a bodybuilder/trainer at my gym actually tell me I have nice thighs.

My (male) trainer hates when I talk badly about my body. Earlier this week I made a comment about my "short arms and fat legs". Right then and there he corrected me. He told me they are NOT fat, they are strong. Later I thanked him for reminding me. He responded by telling me that what used to be big and fat has morphed into big, firm and strong!
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Relax...there is a 99% chance that your thighs are not actually getting bigger. As women, we all tend to have one body part that our eyes are drawn to, and it always seems HUGE even when it's not.

Keep exercising, and don't worry about your thighs as long as you can still fit them in your pants.

I used to have some big, fat thighs. Over the last few years, I've lost a few inches by running on the treadmill and lifting weights. They are still big, but they are solid. My quads and hamstrings are obvious...but I have had a bodybuilder/trainer at my gym actually tell me I have nice thighs.

Nope...

My legs are getting bigger. And BTW, I have really nice legs...

To the OP depending on weight loss, how you exercise or not exercise will affect every "limb" on your body. I am at the point where it is affecting my pant size and I will add if you measure your thighs through your journey (fitness, weight lose or fat loss) you can determine what you need to do..

When I flex, the muscles are hard as rocks and when I sit down I can see that they are solid as a rock. I have several fat layers covering these muscles. It is either continue the lifting weights and be patient or stop. I do not need to loose weight I need to lose body fat now. I hope this makes sense..

You know what you need to do and have choices in the matter.
  • vboatright22
    vboatright22 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I have this same issue and with my hips as well unfortunately I can trim down my hips so I just do light thigh exercises and try to stay fit but in another sense that's just how I'm framed good luck j
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,323 Member
    Options
    Body sculpting. Body sculpting (you tube or a class) really works but the issue with body sculpting is do you want to do all that work to keep your body in a way that does not come natural to it. I did body sculpting and I loved the results ...but the effort to be what I am not was a waste of time after a while. I gave it up and learned to love the way my body is naturally.
  • ugwux004
    ugwux004 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Well defined quads are hot!

Are your legs actually getting bigger or is it a case of noticing more definition as you lose fat (outside of newbie gains it's unlikely that you're putting on muscle if you're eating at a deficit) Take measurements......
    well am noticing more definition, but the muscles are making it bigger

• ugwux004
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Definitely genetics play a part in your problem. Though bigger thighs are nice on a woman, some hate it and some learn to love it, you obviously put muscle on easy on your thighs. Try a calorie deficit and some hitt cardio
    yeap probably! my sister said to me " don't ever dream about thigh gaps ever, it doesn't run in the family! my sister is more leaner than me but she complains too
  • ugwux004
    Options
    Oh I also also took measurements to find out that the only thing that decreased was my stomach and my waist
  • kirstinheard
    kirstinheard Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I'm opposite I can lose the thigh but my belly n waist isn't going anywhere! #bummer
  • scottacular
    scottacular Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    ugwux004 wrote: »
    Oh I also also took measurements to find out that the only thing that decreased was my stomach and my waist

Thighs of steel and a decreasing stomach and waist...I don't think you need to feel bad here.
  • meganjcallaghan
    meganjcallaghan Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    yeap probably! my sister said to me " don't ever dream about thigh gaps ever, it doesn't run in the family! my sister is more leaner than me but she complains too

thigh gaps (which are actually just super annoying when you want to be able to put something on your lap while you're sitting without it falling right through) are a result of bone structure. How widely set your hips are, as well as whether your pelvic bones are rounded or more pointed both play a part. Neither thing can be exercised into existance, so your sister is probably kind of right. It might just not run in the family.

• HardyGirl4Ever
    HardyGirl4Ever Posts: 1,017 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I have naturally larger thighs myself. It runs in my family on my mom's side. If it's any consolation, studies have said that females with naturally larger thighs live longer... I keep reminding myself of that anyway. ;)
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options

Did your thighs remain the same size or grow? If you're eating at a deficit, you will not gain muscle mass. Your muscles might retain more water at a deficit, but you will not gain more actual muscle tissue. Once your body decides to use the fat stored there, they shrink.
  • ugwux004
    Options

Did your thighs remain the same size or grow? If you're eating at a deficit, you will not gain muscle mass. Your muscles might retain more water at a deficit, but you will not gain more actual muscle tissue. Once your body decides to use the fat stored there, they shrink.

it remained the same
  • ugwux004
    Options
    I have naturally larger thighs myself. It runs in my family on my mom's side. If it's any consolation, studies have said that females with naturally larger thighs live longer... I keep reminding myself of that anyway. ;)
    haha thanks