100% Whole Grain Whole Wheat Bread

Options
Is there ever a time while on a calorie reduction diet that you would eat this bread? I was told to avoid bread alltogether and in place of bread to get my carbs from vegetables and other non wheat foods.

Your thoughts on this?

It seems to fall into the same category of white rice and other white foods that carry the devil's lable on it for dieters.

Replies

• holly55555
    holly55555 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I eat whole wheat bread, and plenty of other breads. I like Sara Lee's 45 Calorie Whole Wheat bread. You can eat bread, just don't overdo it and hit your macros.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    If it fits into your calories, eat it. There's no reason to avoid bread unless you have a medical need to.
  • mz_getskinny
    mz_getskinny Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I eat it...because I like it! I don't see anything wrong with it, unless for some medical reason you aren't supposed to be eating bread. And if that's the case, I feel for ya! Love bread :)
  • ErikThaRed
    ErikThaRed Posts: 139 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I think whole wheat bread is fine. At least I've been told so. I don't like to buy bread in the supermarkets though, unless its bakery made. I like to make my own as well since I know whats in it. Find some recipes for healthy bread and make it at home. Homemade bread tastes so much better IMO.
  • Imanapeman
    Imanapeman Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Is there ever a time while on a calorie reduction diet that you would eat this bread? I was told to avoid bread alltogether and in place of bread to get my carbs from vegetables and other non wheat foods.

Your thoughts on this?

It seems to fall into the same category of white rice and other white foods that carry the devil's lable on it for dieters.

I avoid grains at all costs. I'm not saying you should, but I do, because I always bloat when I eat bread. Modern wheat, the way its been genetically modified is not good for you. There are also plenty of studies to show that wheat can be harmful to the brain. If you're going to choose wheat, I would recommend sprouted grains from Ezekiel bread. That's probably the healthiest bread you can find.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    For dieting, eat white bread. it has less calories than the whole grain stuff.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I am not avoiding carbs, breads, or pasta. Losing weight anyways. My favourite bread for texture and taste are the rye's including pumpernickel.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    P.S. my brain is fine. I also check the source of alarmist claims before I avoid a food.
  • kalielise7
    kalielise7 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Just make sure the first ingredient is "100% Whole Wheat" rather than wheat, or it's not actually whole grain. The best option though is to make soaked or buy sprouted grains.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I eat bread nearly every day and have been throughout. No one food is inherently bad (excluding trans fats). But you know what is bad? Scaremongers.
  • donjtomasco
    donjtomasco Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    Well at one of my weigh in's at Gold's Gym my weight was flat and body fat had actually gone up (the scale calculates body fat%). For the last two days I had had wheat bread with my scrambled eggs, then made a sandwich out of plank smoked salmon, and a measured amount of mayo. When the trainer at Gold's asked what I ate that could have affected my readings, all I did was reply as to what I had eaten, and she said no doubt that my results were due to the bread that I had eaten. Then another "expert" told me that any breads do something with breaking down or not breaking down sugar, just like white rice does, so better to avoid all breads if I am trying to lose weight. It was rather alarming news. However, since that "event" two weeks ago, I HAVE avoided all breads and my weight has been more consistent on the decline at 1.25-1.5 #'s per week. So, now I am pretty convinced I should avoid bread until I get to my goal weight, then I can simply add bread as a full calorie count daily diet.
  • wolfsbayne
    wolfsbayne Posts: 3,116 Member
    Options
    I ate whole wheat, whole grain bread exclusively when I was eating heart healthy. I'm sure I was in a deficit as well. I lost 30 lbs in 3 months by eating that way and walking. I didn't count calories, just fat grams.

Take that for what it's worth.
  • donjtomasco
    Options
    Sullus, SERIOUSLY??? If anything, I thought white bread was the worst kind of bread (except for french bread and specialty breads). I think the store bought white bread is supposed to be avoided at all times?
  • mz_getskinny
    mz_getskinny Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I don't know...I've been eating all the bread and have lost 45 lbs in 7 months. I don't think you need to avoid it, but if you are good with it, and it's working for you, carry on!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I eat whole wheat bread. 100% whole wheat.
  • donjtomasco
    Options
    It sounds like most of you have done just fine eating whole wheat bread. I feel like my body wants bread. But I have been careful of that, since it would also love to have a chicken fried steak with cream gravy, fries and garlic mashers. And I am not talking the healthy kind of chicken fried steak (if there is such a thing). There are some awesome diners in many small towns in central texas where calories are of zero concern to those to patronize these establishments. :)
  • ksy1969
    ksy1969 Posts: 700 Member
    Options

Your thoughts on this?

Yay, this again. There is so much wrong with this and your other posts in this thread already. Unless you have a medical condition that dictates no wheat, then there is nothing wrong with bread. White or Wheat. Whole wheat is healthier for you, but ultimately, when it comes to weight loss there is nothing wrong with white either.

FYI, you do realize that scales, especially the body fat portion are very very inaccurate. It is about the trend, not the day to day.

At first I thought this thread might be a hold over from April Fools day, but I guess I was wrong.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Sullus, SERIOUSLY??? If anything, I thought white bread was the worst kind of bread (except for french bread and specialty breads). I think the store bought white bread is supposed to be avoided at all times?

You have listened to too many scaremongers. It sounds like you may need to forget most of what you know and relearn.

Carbs can make you hold water which would influence the BF machine you used, but those machines aren't considered even remotely accurate to begin with.
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    ErikThaRed wrote: »
    I think whole wheat bread is fine. At least I've been told so. I don't like to buy bread in the supermarkets though, unless its bakery made. I like to make my own as well since I know whats in it. Find some recipes for healthy bread and make it at home. Homemade bread tastes so much better IMO.
    kalielise7 wrote: »
    The best option though is to make soaked or buy sprouted grains.

This. There's nothing wrong with whole grain bread that's been made from flour that's been soaked or grains that have been sprouted.
  • runnrchic
    runnrchic Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I make my own wheat bread out of bran, wheat flour, and oatmeal. It is not for those that like sweet bread like white! But it's delicious if you're not really into sweets and prefer salty and bitter like me.