What calories matter????

Options
Does it matter what calories we eat as long as we stay within our daily amount??? If we eat clean will we lose more weight than if we ate crisps and chocolate???

Replies

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,626 Member
    Options
    for weight loss, no. for NUTRITION, yes.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    Does it matter what calories we eat as long as we stay within our daily amount??? If we eat clean will we lose more weight than if we ate crisps and chocolate???

The answer to both is no. That said, you probably don't want to subsist entirely on crisps and chocolates. ;)
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    The ones that you eat matter. If you eat 6000 calories of broccoli you'll gain weight.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    for weight loss, no. for NUTRITION, yes.

^This.

It's best to get the majority of your calories from nutritious foods and after you have filled your nutrient needs, have at chips and chocolate!

• Emantha
    Emantha Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    From a calorie in vs. calorie out, there's no difference. A couple of things may happen however. Overloading on carbs (chocolate, chips, cookies, etc) may leave you more hungry than if you ate more protein as protein tends to keep you more satisfied and therefore want to eat less. Carbs are also very addictive (the more you eat, the more you want). Both of these lead to overeating and therefore exceeding your calorie allocation. Enjoy Easter but be careful.
  • kevinsimmers
    kevinsimmers Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    actually, it does matter. For example, if you eat 1000 calories of tuna or a 1000 calories of ice cream, there will be a difference in weight loss. When you eat protein about 20-30% of the calories you consume will be used just by your digestive system to process the food. Conversely, carbs use only about 6%. So technically, eating the tuna will cause less "net" calories.
  • Justygirl77
    Justygirl77 Posts: 385 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    You can try doing that (use a food scale so you get the REAL calorie intake). Just log your food and exercise, take body measurements as well as your weight, and wait a few weeks to see how you respond. All things being equal, this will work.

However, it's what your body does with the calories you take in that matters, too. For example, If you always have a lot of stress, high cortisol levels, stubborn belly and butt fat, you may have insulin resistance, and therefore a tendency to turn your calories into fat.

• macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    actually, it does matter. For example, if you eat 1000 calories of tuna or a 1000 calories of ice cream, there will be a difference in weight loss. When you eat protein about 20-30% of the calories you consume will be used just by your digestive system to process the food. Conversely, carbs use only about 6%. So technically, eating the tuna will cause less "net" calories.

And you know this....how?

Source please :)

~Lyssa
  • kevinsimmers
    Options
    macgurlnet wrote: »

~Lyssa

http://www.fitnessmagazine.com/recipes/healthy-eating/nutrition/protein-diet-nutrition-facts/
    this is obviously a magazine article, but i read it in a study. I cant remember where i found the actual study, but this is consistent with the science of what the study found.
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,771 Member
    Options

~Lyssa

http://www.fitnessmagazine.com/recipes/healthy-eating/nutrition/protein-diet-nutrition-facts/
    this is obviously a magazine article, but i read it in a study. I cant remember where i found the actual study, but this is consistent with the science of what the study found.

From your link:

According to a recent study in the Journal of the American Medical Association, volunteers who consumed an extra 1,000 calories a day gained weight, whether 5, 15, or 25 percent of those calories came from protein.

lmao
  • peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    "I read it in a study.. like... I really did... plz believe me."
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,771 Member
    Options
    "I read it in a study.. like... I really did... plz believe me."
    He read an abstract that did not say what he thought it said
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

~Lyssa

This is from your article...

According to a recent study in the Journal of the American Medical Association, volunteers who consumed an extra 1,000 calories a day gained weight, whether 5, 15, or 25 percent of those calories came from protein.

It says all excess calories make you fat, no matter where they come from.

Is that really the point you were trying to make?

ETA: 5% difference in TEF over 1600 calories is 80 calories. A third of a Snickers bar. That's smaller than the typical tracking error. Yes, it's real, but for the vast majority of people it's irrelevant.

• kevinsimmers
    Options

~Lyssa

From your link:

lmao

i think that is an oversimplification of what i was trying to say, yes, if you exceed your calories you will gain weight. That's a 100% duh, but: "When you tuck into fat or carbs, about 5 to 15 percent of those calories go toward the digestion process. With protein, it's more like 20 to 30 percent. " Like it also says in the article and you pointed out, it doesnt make it a freebie. If you overeat you gain weight. Someone once said, calories determine how heavy you are, macros determine how you look.
  • peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    "Someone once said..."

Man, these sources are spot on.
  • kevinsimmers
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »

~Lyssa

ETA: 5% difference in TEF over 1600 calories is 80 calories. A third of a Snickers bar. That's smaller than the typical tracking error. Yes, it's real, but for the vast majority of people it's irrelevant.

I completely agree with you, yes it negligible however still true. The question was asked and so i answered it. I didn't realize that i had to include MLA style citations along with my forum comment.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,626 Member
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »

~Lyssa

I completely agree with you, yes it negligible however still true. The question was asked and so i answered it. I didn't realize that i had to include MLA style citations along with my forum comment.

the more you know.... and they have to be from approved sources. no broscience allowed. LOL
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options

Polar questions like this are ridiculous because they exclude sensible, well rounded intake.

Most people manage to eat mostly 'healthy' food and reduce sweets within the allotted calories without issue.