Coke Zero

Options
Cutting out all carbonated beverages was the first big step I took when starting my new healthy eating lifestyle. I have had a few people tell me that coke zero is an acceptable carbonated beverage to have. I am just not convinced yet though, I have gone 3 weeks without any kind of carbonated beverage and I don't want to back track now. What are your thoughts?

Replies

• peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    I've lost a bunch of weight while drinking low cal/no cal carbonated beverages almost daily.

I wouldn't recommend going hog wild with them, but they won't wreck you as long as you remember that anything under 5cal/serving can be considered "zero calorie."
  • zamphir66
    zamphir66 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    I love Coke zero. It's a nice break from water and coffee, and I don't drink alcohol anymore for several reasons. I was never a big soda drinker, so I don't get the whole "but this isn't the REAL thing" effect that many habitual soda drinkers seem to get. I think it's boss. I think I'll have one right now, in fact.

Btw, I buy 8 packs of the little 8-oz cans. Takes me about 2-3 weeks to drink then all. They're a treat.
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    What is wrong with carbonated beverages (other than any potential calories?)

Coke Zero won't hurt you at all. Is plain seltzer water included in your list of banned beverages? I couldn't live without seltzer.
  • MindySaysWhaaat
    MindySaysWhaaat Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I drink a 20 oz. Cherry Coke Zero pretty much every day that I'm at work. It's pretty much one of the only things I will buy from the cafeteria here. I don't really feel like it's hindered my weight loss at all.
  • alssatter
    alssatter Posts: 9 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    All I would drink everyday is some kind of coke beverage and rarely any water. It was my personal choice to just cut It out of my diet completely. I did not drink seltzer in the first place so that was not an issue. At this point and time water is my only beverage.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    My thoughts are that as a person with 109lbs to lose there are far more important things to focus your energy on than a zero calorie drink.
    Calories, nutrition and exercise would strike me as infinitely more important.
  • josul75
    josul75 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    It's totally up to you if you feel the need to cut out zero calorie drinks from your diet, but I don't see the problem with them at all. I drink Diet Coke and Coke Zero regularly because I enjoy the taste and they don't impact my calorie count, so why would I give them up??
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    There's not much difference between a Coke Zero and a Diet Coke (or most other diet soft drinks.) Personally, I drink them off and on, although I'm keeping an eye on the research into the effects of artificial sweeteners on gut flora.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    It totally depends on your goals.
    I try to almost totally avoid them.
    I'd say I have a diet soda once every few months.
    To *me* it's not part of a healthy lifestyle. (aside from weight loss and a number on a scale) But everyone has to decide for themselves what that means. Some might think my glass of wine doesn't belong in a healthy lifestyle. cheers!
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    i drink diet coke or diet sprite all the time.
  • HumboldtFred
    HumboldtFred Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    90 lbs. down and I drink Crystal Light like it was free. It works for me.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    Coke Zero is like crack for me. I tried to give it up for my New Years resolution. But then I started to gain weight so I joined MFP again and I found it was okay on MFP and now I'm loosing weight and I get to drink Coke Zero.... There may be no correlation at all but I'm loosing and get my Coke Zero.
  • gle8442
    gle8442 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I have a little bit of a coca cola addiction and I have almost entirely switched over to Coke Zero now in an effort to avoid all that sugar and calories. I never log it, but I drink about 1 bottle a day!

Actually, I would like to cut back to drinking it once a week or less. Even if it doesn't interfere with weight loss, I don't see how it can be healthy. Also I feel like usually I feel hungrier after I drink one. Still, it is hard to stop cold-turkey! Instead I have just been cutting back little by little.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    Pepsi Max Cherry by the bucketful.

I'm still breathing.
  • Train4Foodz
    Train4Foodz Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    I'm sat drinking a can of diet coke now and cooling off from a 8 mile run to work. I see no problem with them.
    Nothing consumable in this world (other than water) is actually zero calories but the calorie content from diet coke (around 3 per 300ml I think?) is workable into just about any diet I think.

As I have never found any studies proving diet coke to have any negative effects, not have I suffered any negative effects from drinking it. I plan on continuing.

It's all a matter of preference. If you enjoy it.. Enjoy it :)
  • Meeezonajourney
    Meeezonajourney Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Diet Mt. Dew....best stuff on earth ha ha. Does not hinder my weight loss one bit and makes me feel perky!
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    I have a can of diet soda every night and a bottle on Sunday mornings (though this morning I think I only drank half of it). I figure this: I don't do drugs, I don't smoke, I very rarely drink, I don't like coffee/tea...I need one vice! Any other time, though, I'll have water.
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    So jealous of you guys who get Cherry Coke Zero and Pepsi Max Cherry. Buy yes, I often have a diet pop to no ill effects. :smile:
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,014 Member
    Options
    OP my thoughts are that, yes indeed coke zero is an acceptable carbonated beverage.

But if you don't like it or have some philosophical objection to carbonated drinks, then don't drink them.

From a weight loss point of view, it makes no difference either way - as long as you are within your daily calorie allowance, of course.
  • lulucitron
    lulucitron Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    It's a personal thing and they don't make you gain weight, other than there's school of thought that the sugar substitutes stimulate appetite. I've never liked pop, so it's never been a vice of mine plus it's filled with chemical crap, that does things in your body that's not cool.