crock pot recipe substitution, will it work?

Options
I'm trying to go through all of the recipes I have and make them healthier for my husband and I, but I've come across one I'm not sure about. I have a recipe for baked potato soup that is made in the crock pot, and one of the ingredients is 16 oz of sour cream. I have found that I like subbing greek yogurt for sour cream in most instances, but I'm not sure if it'll work here. The sour cream gets thrown in with everything else at the beginning and cooked together, but would greek yogurt curdle and make the soup nasty? I don't really want to waste an entire pot of soup to experiment if I don't have to. Thanks!

Replies

• rejectuf
    rejectuf Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Fat free sour cream isn't that much higher in calories than greek yogurt. May be a safer option. I don't know that the yogurt would curdle but I've never used it in a heated application.
  • fireytiger
    fireytiger Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I was thinking not only calorie wise but also because the greek yogurt packs a much larger protein punch than sour cream as well, that it'd be a better substitute than just fat free.
  • kerussll
    kerussll Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I have not tried that, but fat free sour cream works well in the crock pot. Greek yogurt has kind of a gritty texture that might be noticeable in there.
  • maroonmango211
    maroonmango211 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt works for us (as well as blended cottage cheese). I've never had problems with curdling from either.
  • foxlme
    foxlme Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I have made the same switch in my crock pot recipes! I add the greek yogurt at the END. So the meal cooks all day with all the ingredients except the yogurt.... at the end of the day I stir in the yogurt and let it sit while I get dishes and stuff out. Texture is always perfect, no issues.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    I substitute Greek yogurt for sour cream a lot, but I don't love it on potatoes. Have you tried substituting on a baked potato? And did you like it? If so, these suggestions sound like they would work fine.
  • fireytiger
    fireytiger Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    You know, I want to say I have had it on a baked potato in the past, on a previous attempt to lose weight, but I can't remember. I know I've had it on just about everything else I put sour cream on and loved it, tacos, fajitas, chili, etc. I couldn't tell a difference.
  • landfish
    landfish Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Keeping a close eye on your temperature should help prevent curdling. Basically, you are just breaking down the emulsion. Also, avoiding adding anything really acidic while it's hot.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    foxlme wrote: »
    I have made the same switch in my crock pot recipes! I add the greek yogurt at the END. So the meal cooks all day with all the ingredients except the yogurt.... at the end of the day I stir in the yogurt and let it sit while I get dishes and stuff out. Texture is always perfect, no issues.
    This is what I would do.
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    This is what I would do.

Yup at the end should work best
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options

This sounds like a good idea to me.