Do you believe your fitbit calorie burn?

Options

Replies

• UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I think my Fitbit underestimates my calories, so I usually manually log my exercise with higher calorie burns that what Fitbit estimates. I've been doing that for over a year and I've stayed right at my goal weight.

I think part of the reason it undercounts is that I have a Flex. It doesn't count stairs/hills and I do tons of climbing in the course of my day. When I had a different tracker, I regularly racked up 100+ floors a day. That's enough to add up to a significant calorie difference from walking on the flat.
  • Marcia661
    Marcia661 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I know that when I get my weekly summary, the caloric deficit is bang on to what I would expect to lose. (e.g: -9000 for the week will actually translate to a 2.6 lb loss)
  • Abby2205
    Abby2205 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Yes, I believe it because I tested it.... log faithfully for a couple of months with a fitbit adjustment, then figure out how much weight you should have lost (calories below maintenance for that time frame /3500). Compare to what you actually lost. Mine is very accurate, with a slight error in the direction of my losing slightly more than my data would predict.

Me too, with Fitbit one. I analyzed over 14 weeks and my calculated deficit was very close to weight lost x 3500. So close (within 2%) that I asked myself if I had unconsciously biased my logging every day for 14 weeks to achieve the "right" accumulated deficit. My unconscious is really good at arithmetic.
  • Liftin4food
    Liftin4food Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I found the fitbit burn slightly too high for me. If I follow what it says I still lose weight - but not quite as much as predicted by MFP and fitbit. I've decided to go with that. As long as I'm losing I'm happy. However it would be easy to fix if I wasn't happy. Reducing my MFP goal by 100 - 150 calories a day would do it.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest change to lightly active if your goal is 10k. Will be more appropriate for your actual activity level.

Walking uphill is certainly more intense than flat. But I also do some running in place during my lunch hour when its not weather-wise to go outside. That overcounts, I believe, because its more steps per minute. But its not as intense as actually running. So days when I run in place, I try to 'balance' it by walking on the treadmill at an incline in the evening. :)
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Ps-for extra motivation on hitting 10k a day. Look into an app called Pact. For iPhone or Android. Orange icon. You commit to doing healthy activities each week, and you agree to pay if you don't keep your pact. You get $ when you do though. Motivation: I have never paid! I have pretty high standards on my Pact commitments, and make $3.50-4.00/week. Not a ton of money, but when all else fails knowing that if I don't get my steps in: it will cost me. That gets me moving.

You set your standards so you can commit to 1 day a week or 7. You can also make commitments for logging your food - syncs w/ MFP - and eating fruits & veggies. Withdraw by Paypal any time your balance is $10 or more.
  • GoPerfectHealth
    GoPerfectHealth Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Fitbit calculations are based on an average metabolism. After doing calculations between calorie intake and calorie burns, I calculated that Fitbit/MFP was telling me I burned 269 more calories per day than I actually did. That's quite a bit. I'm sure Fitbit is accurate for other people. I will run the numbers for April at the end of the month to see if the discrepancy is the same.

It's easy to calculate your actual TDEE and compare it against Fitbit.

To calculate your actual total daily energy expenditure for a 30 day period do the following:

Total number of calories consumed + (number of pounds lost x 3500) / 30

Then find the total calories burned in Fitbit for the same time period, divide by 30 and compare the two.

Of course you can do this for any number of days, but I think it is more accurate over a period of 30-60 days as weight loss doesn't always appear on the scale right away.

Any difference between the two numbers could be a result of:

1. Your own metabolism
    2. Inaccurate logging of foods (you forget to log or the data is not accurate).

By doing this calculation I discovered that I just need to burn a few hundred more calories than what MFP/Fitbit tells me in order to reach my goals. It's nice to know.
  • clubbybear
    clubbybear Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    About syncing the next day, I found this on the FitBit website:

DO I NEED TO SYNC MY TRACKER EVERY DAY?

A daily sync is recommended, but not required.
    All Fitbit trackers can record detailed minute-by-minute steps, calorie burn data, and sleep records for at least 7 days between sync opportunities. Beyond that, daily totals for step data, calorie counts, sleep records, and heart rate (if measured by your tracker) will be stored for 30 days. This data will all upload to your account as soon as you are able to sync and will then be reflected on your dashboard.
    So long as you are able to sync weekly, your complete minute-by-minute data will be kept. If you are able to sync at least once a month, your daily totals will be intact.
  • loveshoe
    loveshoe Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I've had the Fitbit One for about two years. It seems accurate. I do not eat calories earned by exercising unless I'm on vacation.
  • AbsoluteTara79
    AbsoluteTara79 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I decided to trust my fitbit for the month of March as a test. I did a diet break for 2 weeks and then back to deficit the 2nd half of the month. I enabled both positive and negative calorie adjustments and stayed within range for the most part. I had good results in terms of not gaining/losing per the plan.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    For example Fitbit is accurate for walking, but underestimates for hiking. I use MapMywalk for hiking.

I eat back my calories if I'm hungry, but rarely do I eat all of them.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    It guesses a bit low for me. I can either eat about 100 calories per day more than it tells me or I can splurge a bit on the weekend, which is usually what I do.

eta: I've been eating back every calorie for about 8 months.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    For example Fitbit is accurate for walking, but underestimates for hiking. I use MapMywalk for hiking.

No worries about hiking lol I need to get a bit fitter yet.

I don't have negative calorie adjustments activated. I have read the explanation, but don't quite understand what it means. So I just left it unticked
  • Tigre399
    Tigre399 Posts: 2
    Options
    sarahas wrote: »
    I have another type of tracking device through weight watchers and don't trust it 100%. I can wave my arms 5 mins and get an extra 50 calories. Though I hear fitbits are more accurate. I'm actually wanting to buy one, but swimming is one of my favorite activities, and so far they're water resistant, but not waterproof.

As for eating back the calories, I hardly ever do.
    If I work out at the gym hard during a session for an hour and earn 800 calories, I might eat 100-200 but never more. (unless I'm having a naughty pizza kind of day!)
    Otherwise, I keep it fairly close to my original total, just because I think a lot of exercise is overestimated, and food underestimated.

Misfit Shine is waterproof and has a mode specifically for swimming.

Oh thanks for the info! :) I'll look into it!

Misfit Flash is another option (to the Shine). It's made out of plastic instead of aluminum, so it's half (or less) of the price of the Misfit Shine. Otherwise, they are pretty much identical in form, fit, and function. My wife and I both got a Misfit Flash on Black Friday last year and neither of us have complaints....other than those days when we haven't met our goal yet in the evening and have to jump on the treadmill for a little while. :wink:
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options

I don't have negative calorie adjustments activated. I have read the explanation, but don't quite understand what it means. So I just left it unticked

It means Fitbit giveth and Fitbit taketh away. :laugh:

If you're not active enough to reach your calorie goal it authorizes fitbit to take away calories.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

If you're not active enough to reach your calorie goal it authorizes fitbit to take away calories.

Oh how cruel! :p I'll just leave it unticked then :#
  • Liftin4food
    Liftin4food Posts: 175 Member
    Options

If you are always more active than you've told MFP you are then it doesn't matter. However if you ever have a day where you don't get out of bed / move from the couch then you'll be credited with more calories than you burned unless you enable negative adjustments.

I have MFP set at sedentary yet I still have to take 2500 - 3000 steps a day to counteract my negative adjustment. I was ill the other day - I only took about 500 steps all day. Without negative adjustments activated I'd have been credited with calories I didn't burn.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

While it may be cruel, it definitely motivates me to stay active.

When I received my first Fitbit (a Zip), I had MFP set to Sedentary and it would still take away calories. It opened my eyes to how much of a couch potato I really was. I'm at least lightly active now, but I probably wouldn't have changed if it hadn't kept taking away calories and sticking it's tongue out at me.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options

I've had it enabled and disabled at different times for different reasons. Just be aware that if it's disabled you may eat more than you burn on rest days.