Losing Weight yet feeling fatter?

Options
NikitaaJadeePhillips
NikitaaJadeePhillips Posts: 6 Member
edited April 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi,
Over the past two months ive started becoming more active. It may not seem like a huge amount but ive lost nearly a stone. Im now 10 stone 4 pounds and rather than seeing a positive impact I feel like I look a lot bigger and my stomach and hips still bulge out. I know that im still not a healthy weight and have more weight to lose however it looks like I have gained weight and not lost it. Is this a psychological issue due to my low self esteem or is the weight really not coming off my stomach and hips? Has anybody else encountered this issue?

Replies

• dawniemate
    dawniemate Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I'm exactly the same. I'm 5ft I have lost 17lbs since jan 2nd and now weigh 143lbs. I suddenly feel huge even with a loss! ! I thought it was just me. ..I can't work it out either. At least we are not alone! !!! X x
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    Sadly you have no control over where fat comes off your body. If your body shape is like mine (big in the middle and skinny arms and legs) you lost weight in your limbs and your middle is just looking bigger by contrast. I feel like I look bigger but I can't argue with my loose waistbands. Just keep on keeping on, and feel free to send me a FR if you want since it seems like we are apples in a world of pears :)
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    I agree with the contrast thing. For me it's my midriff. My midriff has trimmed down significantly but my actual belly hasn't and therefore my belly actually looks bigger by comparison. For now.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Is this a psychological issue due to my low self esteem or is the weight really not coming off my stomach and hips? Has anybody else encountered this issue?

Have you ever taken measurements of those areas to see if they are getting smaller, staying the same or getting bigger? Get a measuring tape.
    Do you clothes fit looser in those areas than when you started?
    Do you have a photo of your start weight to compare with a current picture?

I don't think you can always see yourself accurately. I doubt those areas have gotten bigger but other areas may be getting smaller first or your brain is perceiving your body as fatter than it is.

• katherine_startrek_fan
    Options
    I have a B tummy; upper and lower tummy with a defined waist.

For the first few months, I lost weight everywhere evenly except my upper tummy. Until it finally started catching up proportionately, I looked really huge because it stuck out so far and was accentuated in all of my normal clthes, especially the ones with an empire waist.

It took around 8 months for things to start evening out, but weight loss is not always proportionate, so I may have other issue areas as I continue to lose.
  • maasha81
    maasha81 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Yes ...weight loss is not proportionate but you will get there. I also agree with taking your measurements and even progress pics.
  • NikitaaJadeePhillips
    Options
    I have to admit, I think I was very optimistic and thought the weight would drop off evenly but clearly thats not the case. The contrast theory sounds good to me as I did measure the top of my stomach with a tape today and ive lost a few inches on there which is why its likely that the bottom part of my stomach and my hips looks so huge to me at the moment. I've ended up with some awful stretch marks due to weight gain and going through puberty and they still havent faded to a grey colour so im very self conscious about taking images for that reason however taking measurements sounds like a good and accurate way to do things. Glad im not alone in this! Thanks for the responses :) xx
  • holly55555
    holly55555 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    sofaking6 wrote: »
    Sadly you have no control over where fat comes off your body.

THIS. I just lost 10 lbs. I swear I look the same. haha it'll get there.
  • LAWoman72
    Options
    I have to admit, I think I was very optimistic and thought the weight would drop off evenly but clearly thats not the case. The contrast theory sounds good to me as I did measure the top of my stomach with a tape today and ive lost a few inches on there which is why its likely that the bottom part of my stomach and my hips looks so huge to me at the moment. I've ended up with some awful stretch marks due to weight gain and going through puberty and they still havent faded to a grey colour so im very self conscious about taking images for that reason however taking measurements sounds like a good and accurate way to do things. Glad im not alone in this! Thanks for the responses :) xx

Well, see? You're doing it! You're getting there! Congrats on your losses.
  • ashmarie529
    ashmarie529 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    It definitely takes time, which is so annoying :tongue: You're also more aware of your body now, focusing on it day after day can take it's toll, especially since there was some trigger to make you want to lose the weight. If you have a pair of old string tie sweats, put them on and tie them so they fit comfortably, then anytime you're feeling like you are especially larger, put the pants on. It's just a reminder that hey, you're mind is playing tricks on you, stay focused, you're losing weight and this pair of pants proves it :)
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I agree with a lot of people here. Although it does take time for your mind to catch up with your body, there are periods of time when my body is like...definitely looking odd because of where the weight is choosing to come off. Even my skin gets a little melty looking sometimes and that kinda gets me down because it wasn't like that when I was bigger.
  • overin2015
    overin2015 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I may be a little off on my science but about the stretch marks not turning a little lighter yet - our bodies replace all cells in a 3-6 month cycle I think. I would assume that to see the difference in skin texture and the color would take longer than the weight loss because you aren't pulling on the skin but it still needs time to heal. The looking heavier reaction is a negative self image I would bet. This isn't going to be easy for us. It is a battle for our very minds. Remember that and find something to love your body about. Look at the amazing creation it is and what you have suffered through and are healing from. Give it time. I think the measurement idea is fantastic. Don't let your mind fool you. You are making progress. The scale doesn't lie about losses. Hang in there. Your accomplishment is very impressive and this is where the rubber has to meet the road and you continue in spite of what your mind and eyes tell you. Continued victory is just around the corner.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options

Is that what that's called!? I keep admiring other women's pics of their "heavy" bellies for being so even and round, while I look like a couple of friggin bloated mudflaps.

• LAWoman72
    Options

Is that what that's called!? I keep admiring other women's pics of their "heavy" bellies for being so even and round, while I look like a couple of friggin bloated mudflaps.

Yup, it looks like a capital letter B. Not all that uncommon, really. But everybody gains differently.

• NikitaaJadeePhillips
    Options
    I have a capital letter B too! I thought I was just bizarre because all the women I know have a different shape to mine. I guess it will just take some time to lose weight everywhere and in an equal way :) x