water consumption

Options
I read that drinking ample amounts of water can help with weight loss as well as keep you healthy. I am having trouble with bloating since I've started drinking alot of water. Can the bloating be from the water? I drink about 72oz water per day. I feel like I'm about to float away! And I HATE feeling bloated! Should I cut-back on water consumption?

Replies

• macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    What I've heard the most is to go for about half your body weight in ounces.

BUT keep in mind that you don't have to just drink water. Do you drink coffee or tea? Those count too.

Do you feel thirsty? If not, definitely scale back a little. Also, you may find sipping at the water throughout the day - instead of downing and 8-ounce glass in one go - is a little better.

The water doesn't speed up weight loss or anything, but it can help quiet those random hungry feelings - your body is sometimes confused and will tell you it's hungry when it's really just thirsty - and can help you eat less during a meal since it'll take up space in your tummy.

~Lyssa
  • WeddedBliss1992
    WeddedBliss1992 Posts: 414 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    What I've heard the most is to go for about half your body weight in ounces.
    half my body weight in oz = 81 oz so that wont' happen! LOL

BUT keep in mind that you don't have to just drink water. Do you drink coffee or tea? Those count too.
    i do drink tea sometimes and i do count that

Do you feel thirsty? If not, definitely scale back a little. Also, you may find sipping at the water throughout the day - instead of downing and 8-ounce glass in one go - is a little better.
    i drink it throughout the day, and it isn't usually all in one sitting

The water doesn't speed up weight loss or anything, but it can help quiet those random hungry feelings - your body is sometimes confused and will tell you it's hungry when it's really just thirsty - and can help you eat less during a meal since it'll take up space in your tummy.

• macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    I would say cut back a bit and see if the bloating goes away. Keep logging your intake, though, so you have an idea of what the "magic" number is :)

Good luck!

~Lyssa
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    Allow me to share my personal experience with water consumption; When I am thirsty I drink. Now back to the show.
  • Nicolee_2014
    Nicolee_2014 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    I have never had bloating from water, apart from before an ultrasound..

Several factors influence whether drinking water leads to temporary stomach bloating, including the volume of water you consume and how quickly; what else is in your stomach; and whether your intestines are also full. On an empty stomach, one or two 8-ounce glasses of water are unlikely to cause noticeable bloating. In contrast, a quart or more of water consumed quickly with other food or liquid already in your stomach, may lead to some distension of your abdomen. Similarly, if your intestines are full due to a recent meal, constipation or both, quickly consuming a quart or more of water may cause temporary stomach bloating and discomfort. The larger the volume of water and other foods or liquids in your stomach, the more likely you will experience temporary bloating.
  • cogsci
    cogsci Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    ncboiler89 wrote: »
    Allow me to share my personal experience with water consumption; When I am thirsty I drink. Now back to the show.

What a revolutionary idea!
    +1
  • WeddedBliss1992
    WeddedBliss1992 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    ncboiler89 wrote: »

in the past, i seriously have never been thirsty. i never drank water. ever.
    i might have a glass of tea with dinner, but that was about it. i only started drinking water because i started trying to lose weight and i read it was imperative. if i go by thirst, i would never drink.

• morselw
    morselw Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    There are many days I wouldn't drink at all if I only drank when I felt thirsty. But, I've been making myself drink water-- nothing else (no coffee, diet drinks, tea). I find that drinking from a water bottle helps. It's like a mini goal, several times a day. I make sure to drink 20 oz between breakfast and lunch, 20 at lunch or during the afternoon, 20 at dinner, and 20 later in the night. I'm a first grade teacher, so managing restroom breaks can be difficult. Your body will adjust and you won't feel quite like you're floating away. I'm finally starting to notice times that I feel thirsty (after 3 months of drinking 80 oz a day).