Do you believe your fitbit calorie burn?

Options

Replies

• ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    Judging by the number of replies I think this thread has probably run it's course so I will simply say that after doing some basic spreadsheet number crunching I trust the the number that fitbit gives me. I have an HR.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    ncboiler89 wrote: »
    Judging by the number of replies I think this thread has probably run it's course so I will simply say that after doing some basic spreadsheet number crunching I trust the the number that fitbit gives me. I have an HR.

The replies have helped me immensly! As for the negative calorie thing, you guys explained it so much clearer than than all the info pages I looked up. Thanks again everyone :flowerforyou: xx

• ncboiler89
    Options

The replies have helped me immensly! As for the negative calorie thing, you guys explained it so much clearer than than all the info pages I looked up. Thanks again everyone :flowerforyou: xx

I'm sure the replies have been very helpful. What I meant is that I can probably add nothing that hasn't already been said. Just wanted to cast a quick vote.
  • clubbybear
    clubbybear Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    For example Fitbit is accurate for walking, but underestimates for hiking. I use MapMywalk for hiking.

I eat back my calories if I'm hungry, but rarely do I eat all of them.

No worries about hiking lol I need to get a bit fitter yet.

I don't have negative calorie adjustments activated. I have read the explanation, but don't quite understand what it means. So I just left it unticked

It means Fitbit giveth and Fitbit taketh away. :laugh:

If you're not active enough to reach your calorie goal it authorizes fitbit to take away calories.

Oh how cruel! :p I'll just leave it unticked then :#

While it may be cruel, it definitely motivates me to stay active.

When I received my first Fitbit (a Zip), I had MFP set to Sedentary and it would still take away calories. It opened my eyes to how much of a couch potato I really was. I'm at least lightly active now, but I probably wouldn't have changed if it hadn't kept taking away calories and sticking it's tongue out at me.

I agree. My FitBit takes away calories until I get around 5,000 or so steps. I make sure I get enough steps to get into a positive adjustment.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    While it may be cruel, it definitely motivates me to stay active.

Indeed! Enabling negative adjustments motivates me to get more steps in earlier in the day to get rid of the penalty.

• StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Enabling the negative calories can help you if you're ahead or behind where MFP expects you to be. If you tend to get most of your activity in the evening, you'll be negative until then. You 'see' this even if you don't have then enabled. Because seeing 0 as an adjustment means you have not yet gotten ahead of MFP's expectation.

I don't usually end the day with a big adjustment - but I make sure to end with higher than 0. :)
  • serenity1097
    serenity1097 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I have the Fitbit One and I wear it clipped to my bra...for the sake of my story I will add that I am fairly big breasted. One day last week I took a road trip, about 4 1/2 hours riding along bumpy mountain roads. The rest of the trip was spent sitting in an office doing paperwork. When we got back from said road trip, I had apparently taken 9999 steps & climbed 51 sets of stairs. Suffice it to say I do NOT eat back my fitbit calories anymore :s
  • LovingLife_Erin
    LovingLife_Erin Posts: 328 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I accept it may not be 100% accurate, but since I typically lose what I should based on my calories in and what my fitbit says my calories out are, I trust my calories burned. It also does seem to average out to be close to what most tdee calculators say I should eat to maintain weight.
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    I have the Fitbit One and I wear it clipped to my bra...for the sake of my story I will add that I am fairly big breasted. One day last week I took a road trip, about 4 1/2 hours riding along bumpy mountain roads. The rest of the trip was spent sitting in an office doing paperwork. When we got back from said road trip, I had apparently taken 9999 steps & climbed 51 sets of stairs. Suffice it to say I do NOT eat back my fitbit calories anymore :s

I haven't had that kind of issue myself but I hear you can add an activity log and call it "driving" and it will remove those false numbers? Might be worth looking into if this happens again!

~Lyssa
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    The step counts are reasonably accurate - the calorie burn estimates....not so much. Since these are walking calories, I would suggest eating back no more than 25% to start with.
  • ncboiler89
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    The step counts are reasonably accurate - the calorie burn estimates....not so much. Since these are walking calories, I would suggest eating back no more than 25% to start with.

I found mine to be very accurate so far. I crunched the numbers after a month and was off by a few hundred calories.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

I found mine to be very accurate so far. I crunched the numbers after a month and was off by a few hundred calories.

Same, and mine was off in my favor so I just consider it buffer for occasional overages.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I got a fitbit zip a week ago, i went from averaging 2,000ish steps a day up to 10,000, and yesterday i hit 20,207 steps for which mfp gave me 850 extra calories. I'm too scared to eat these calories back, partly because it takes me all day to get these steps in ( I do umpteen laps around my house),i'm not 100% sure that these devices are perfectly accurate and it irks me slightly to essentially eat back all of my work. Walking is the only exercise i do.
    What do you guys do, eat all your exercise calories back or 50-75% of them, or none at all? How much do you trust your fitbit calorie burn?

Thanks for any and all advice :flowerforyou:

Yes I eat most if not all my fitbit burn

I am set to sedentary with negative adjustments enabled, I'm not sedentary but I like it that way

I have set my pace on fitbit and checked time zones and goals are correct

I average about 8K -10K steps ...I get an additional 350- 450 calories from my fitbit, about the same as a 45 minute gym session
  • Christine_72
    Options
    Rabbit judging by your pic it's obviously working for you :+1::)
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options

Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't the Fitbit award calories based on our speed? I'd think it would not give the same amount for a leisurely stroll as power walking.

• Christine_72
    Options
    maidentl wrote: »

Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't the Fitbit award calories based on our speed? I'd think it would not give the same amount for a leisurely stroll as power walking.

I don't think so?? It gives me the same amount of calories whether I pound the pavement at warp speed or do a a few leisurely strolls around my house

• maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options

I don't think so?? It gives me the same amount of calories whether I pound the pavement at warp speed or do a a few leisurely strolls around my house

Hmpf. Maybe the difference in calories burned isn't that significant? Maybe I can slow down then. :laugh:

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options

I think it's based on the met system, so speed would have an impact. The thing is though, if you spend most of the day walking around your house which is probably the equivalent to 2 mets one day, but go running on a different day (which I believe is 7 mets) for an hour and spend less time walking around the rest of the day it would probably even out. I know on days I go running, I'm pretty lazy for the rest of the day.
  • Christine_72
    Options

Hmpf. Maybe the difference in calories burned isn't that significant? Maybe I can slow down then. :laugh:

heehee probably

Hehe yeah probably. I've only got the basic zip. The ones with a HRM may change the amounts based on high your heart rate goes. ..

• ncboiler89
    Options

heehee probably

Hehe yeah probably. I've only got the basic zip. The ones with a HRM may change the amounts based on high your heart rate goes. ..

It does