Been meaning to ask for help on eating on tour...

Options
I generally eat taco bell, dennys late after shows, buffalo wild wings, waffle house.....

but when i try to keep weight off and not go near these places i feel like im starving myself...i dont know is it impossible to kep up eating every 2 to 3 hours on the road? i think so...

06/24 San Diego, CA – Soma
06/25 Anaheim, CA – Chain Reaction
06/26 Fresno, CA – Club Retro
06/27 Roseville, CA – Club Retro
06/28 Sparks, NV – The Alley
06/30 Portland, OR – Branx
07/01 Seattle, WA – Studio Seven
07/03 Calgary, AB – New Black Centre
07/04 Edmonton, AB – Avenue Theatre
07/05 Saskatoon, SK – Cosmo Senior Center
07/07 Winnipeg, MB – Park Theatre
07/09 Sudbury, ON – Jubilee Centre
07/10 Cambridge, ON – 515 Concert Club
07/11 Windsor, ON – The Blind Dog
07/12 Toronto, ON – Wreck Room
07/13 Ottawa, ON – Mavericks
07/14 Quebec, QC – Cafe L’Agitee
07/15 Montreal, QC – La Tulipe
07/16 Manchester, NH – Rocko’s
07/18 Clinton, NJ – The Aquifer Music Venue
07/19 New York, NY – The Gramercy Theatre
07/20 Crofton, MD – MACC
07/21 Richmond, VA – Alley Katz
07/22 Lynchburg, VA – Crosspoint Venue
07/23 Raleigh, NC – The Brewery
07/24 West Columbia, SC – New Brookland Tavern
07/26 Douglasville, GA – The 7 Venue
07/27 Nashville, TN – Rocketown
07/28 Kettering, OH – The Attic Club
07/29 Cleveland, OH – Peabody’s Downunder

We play super heavy fast music and i jump rope everyday on tour so i imagine i need tons of calories....heres our music video so you can see. http://youtu.be/aYYXxhnz1AQ

Replies

• bigalfantasy2004
    bigalfantasy2004 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I use this site to see what my best options are at restaurants. It's meant for weight watchers, but it also lists the calories, fat, etc. I hope it helps:
    http://www.exercise4weightloss.com/weight-watchers-points.html
  • megz4987
    megz4987 Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    Those places do have some fairly decent meal options. Taco bell has fresco tacos, Denny's has salads or grilled chicken sandwich. It's all about making the right choice and not just going for the first thing that sounds delicious because you're hungry.

Good luck on tour!
  • btownshreds
    btownshreds Posts: 25
    Options
    thank you guys tons!!!! yea i guess its easier than i think.....i just got back fro europe and dear god the eating arrangments there are terrible!!!
  • CraigIW
    CraigIW Posts: 176
    Options
    You'll certainly be burning a lot of calories it looks like. When you don't go to those places, what do you eat instead?
  • dragonbug300
    dragonbug300 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    You aren't exactly asking a real question here, just stating fact. What exactly do you want help with? Ideas for eating out or eating on the road? I'll just state what I can.

Taco bell, Dennys, Buffalo Wild Wings, and Waffle House....
    Unless you're ordering salads at these places, I imagine your nutrition is lacking vegetables in a major sort of way. Maybe bring bags of carrots and celery around with you and portable tubs of dip.

You could probably still eat at these places and order healthier items. Except taco bell... I'm pretty sure even their salads will give you cancer (I kid, I kid.... sorta). Swap fries for steamed veggies, nix sauces, order extra milk and fruit to bolster calories, etc.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    You can go to those places and still keep weight off (well, except maybe Taco Bell, but I'm not sure Taco Bell even counts as actual food...). You just need to make sure you're getting the healthier options and not eating too much.

BW3's has an awesome salad and quesadillos. You might want to check them out, and consider only getting the small wings, instead of just eating a bunch of wings or whatever. And (I know, this might suck, but) skip the booze. It has a ton of carbs in it that probably isn't helping.

Waffle House has a "light" recipe waffle that's good, as well as sugar-free syrup.

Places like Denny's, Bob Evan's, etc. have a ton of choices that can be mixed and matched to create healthy meals. The key to those is to remember that the portions are often enough for two or more meals, so either order less, substitute things (like eggs for egg whites or egg substitutes), or ask for a box right away. As an added bonus, you'll have food for in between the big meals (assuming something like - breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, dinner, snack - to eat every 2-3 hours).

As a general rule, as well, go for baked or grilled foods, instead of fried (breaded and fried stuff really pack on the calories and fat). Chicken generally has less fat than beef or pork (especially at lower-quality places like fast-food or burger joints). Fiber, protein, and carbs will help you feel full faster and keep you full longer, so go for high fiber foods like fresh vegetables, low-calorie carbs like pretzels, or quick shots of proteins like tree nuts in between meals. Pretzels, raisins, granola, nuts, and seeds (like sunflower seeds) are great for on-the road snacks because they have a long shelf life, don't require much to stave off hunger, and aren't really messy. They also make great trail mix. :)
  • btownshreds
    Options
    You aren't exactly asking a real question here, just stating fact. What exactly do you want help with? Ideas for eating out or eating on the road? I'll just state what I can.

Taco bell, Dennys, Buffalo Wild Wings, and Waffle House....
    Unless you're ordering salads at these places, I imagine your nutrition is lacking vegetables in a major sort of way. Maybe bring bags of carrots and celery around with you and portable tubs of dip.

You could probably still eat at these places and order healthier items. Except taco bell... I'm pretty sure even their salads will give you cancer (I kid, I kid.... sorta). Swap fries for steamed veggies, nix sauces, order extra milk and fruit to bolster calories, etc.

if you read it carefully it is a question. im basically asking for help on the road.
  • btownshreds
    Options
    You'll certainly be burning a lot of calories it looks like. When you don't go to those places, what do you eat instead?

honestly....gas food. it suck! i get beef jerky but it doesnt sustain me! generally the drives are long at times.....you have deadlines to make. we have to be at venues everyday by 2 or 3 because we headline so we cant just stop everytime im hungry haha
  • megz4987
    megz4987 Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    Oh, PS! You can totally go to grocery stores and stock up on a few things to take with you. I don't know if you're in a van or a bus but fruit doesn't necessarily have to be refrigerated, you can snack on some cereals (I like quakers brown sugar oatmeal squares). Go running if you have time and many hotels have a fitness room. Drumming is great for upper body but don't neglect the rest :)Oh, and lay low on the alcohol :)
  • a_stronger_steph
    a_stronger_steph Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    If you like sushi, I can tell you that when you're in Toronto, you're playing a venue that is right by lots of cheap and good college sushi joints. :) You can eat pretty healthily with the right sushi choices.

Other tips... try to check out on Google Maps before hand if there are any grocery stores near your venue/hotel. Stock up on some hardy fruits/veg like apples if you can. You can make some 100 or 200 calorie snack packs ahead of time, of trail mix, crackers, etc...

Good luck, have fun on tour!
  • pittielover23
    pittielover23 Posts: 268
    Options
    Can you pack a little cooler full of snacks for while you are on the road? Fill it with yummy healthy snacks. Also things like fiber one bars are great & filing.

Taco Bell - Try their fresco menu. It replaces cheese with a pico de gallo and is actually really yummy. It is also baout portion. Don't order 5 tacos ;) I am sure Denny's has some options that you can play with, like asking for the sandwhich with mustard instead of mayo and getting a salad instead of fries. LIttle changes like that make a huge difference.
  • btownshreds
    Options
    If you like sushi, I can tell you that when you're in Toronto, you're playing a venue that is right by lots of cheap and good college sushi joints. :) You can eat pretty healthily with the right sushi choices.

Other tips... try to check out on Google Maps before hand if there are any grocery stores near your venue/hotel. Stock up on some hardy fruits/veg like apples if you can. You can make some 100 or 200 calorie snack packs ahead of time, of trail mix, crackers, etc...

man your guys currency is expensive! haha or i mean it goes by fast! how expensive is sushi there?
  • btownshreds
    Options
    thank you all so much
  • abyssfully
    abyssfully Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    You could buy those little cereal packs with milk (do you guys bring a cooler along?)
    Fruits/veggies (fresh - like apples, oranges, bananas, carrots, snap peas)
    Nuts and seeds
    Gas stations sometimes have sandwiches and what not.

When you're at a restaurant, instead of fries (or whatever) you could order a baked potato, salad, veggies. Order grilled instead of fried. Heck, if you're going to eat wings just don't overdo it. Portion control.

And I agree with OP, watch the booze ;) (If you drink.)
  • a_stronger_steph
    a_stronger_steph Posts: 434 Member
    Options

man your guys currency is expensive! haha or i mean it goes by fast! how expensive is sushi there?

At Sushi on Bloor (relatively average-to-inexpensive place), you can get 2 pieces of salmon or tuna nigiri for $3 or a hand roll for $2.50. A california roll is $5, a rainbow roll is $8.50, an avo + kappa maki is $4.

Not sure where you are from, but that's pretty reasonable to me, if you keep in mind Toronto's sorta landlocked, haha. Obviously sushi will be cheaper in cities with abundant access to the ocean.

But yeah, I think the Canadian dollar has been doing pretty well for a while now, which was great for me when I visited NYC, but maybe not so great for the Americans coming here. Ah well. Your turn - we dealt with a crappy dollar for yeeeears. ;)
  • btownshreds
    Options
    You could buy those little cereal packs with milk (do you guys bring a cooler along?)
    Nuts and seeds

When you're at a restaurant, instead of fries (or whatever) you could order a baked potato, salad, veggies. Order grilled instead of fried. Heck, if you're going to eat wings just don't overdo it. Portion control.

this is my thing about a cooler tho....how am i going to constantly keep it cold? lol yes i drink and our ryder is tons of beer haha
  • alibslim
    alibslim Posts: 16
    Options
    You can do this. It's only as hard as you make it. You may just have to go an extra mile to get what you need. It's not any easier for a mom like me. I have to cook two dinners everynite cause I can't eat what my son eats. But to lose the weight I have to do what I have to do. Everyone can find an excuse to make things harder.
    I live 2 hours away from Nashville near Memphis, if you guys come thru Memphis there is a great BBQ place called the Rendezvous. You can have thier BBQ with the rub only and get the beef. It is GREAT and the calories aren't to bad either. You would love it!
    Good Luck!!!
  • abyssfully
    abyssfully Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Nuts and seeds

this is my thing about a cooler tho....how am i going to constantly keep it cold? lol yes i drink and our ryder is tons of beer haha
    You can buy big bags of ice at gas stations. Plus coolers are meant to keep the cold in. When you get to a hotel, if there's a mini fridge, but it in there! When you leave - get more ice! lol.... Also, if you buy those little milks at a time I'm sure you'll drink it before it gets gross - you can buy little milk cartons at gas stations too (instead of pop.)

ETA: I just thought of another thing. If you're used to drinking beer try a shot of something with diet pop. At least you wont have as many calories... (wow, what awesome advice on my part. *sarcasm*)
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options

Coleman makes what they call a 5-day cooler. The cooler is guaranteed to keep things cold for 5 days, even in hot weather (and it can work far longer in conditions that aren't as hot).

Also, if you don't want to deal with ice and ice water (though keep in mind that the water from the melted ice keeps things cold, too, so don't dump it if you still need to keep things cold!), try dry ice.