Ready to lose weight and build muscle!

Options
Hey everyone! I'm Jessika. I'm new here and I'm ready to take my body to the next level. I'm in Philly for now. I would love to connect with those who have similar goals. I just started mma, so I'm excited about that.

Replies

• jesperkus
    jesperkus Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Nice!! How's the lifting going for you? Yes, protein is a must. :-)
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    jesperkus wrote: »
    Hey everyone! I'm Jessika. I'm new here and I'm ready to take my body to the next level. I'm in Philly for now. I would love to connect with those who have similar goals. I just started mma, so I'm excited about that.

You can only do one at a time.
  • jesperkus
    Options
    mccindy72 wrote: »

Awww... I want to do everything at once..lol

• Estokesus
    Estokesus Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Welcome Jesperkus! Today is my second day. I am also a newbie. I am from NJ. Trying drop a few lbs.
  • jesperkus
    Options
    xsung1 wrote: »
    I'm working on building muscle too. Started lifting in January. Make sure you get in enough protein (:

I'm still learning this app. I replied to you

• jesperkus
    Options
    Estokesus wrote: »
    Welcome Jesperkus! Today is my second day. I am also a newbie. I am from NJ. Trying drop a few lbs.

Awesome! Nice to meet you Estokesus. Let's shed this weight!!

• mccindy72
    Options

Understandable! But obviously, you have to cut calories to lose fat, and you have to add calories to gain muscle.
  • jesperkus
    Options

Understandable! But obviously, you have to cut calories to lose fat, and you have to add calories to gain muscle.

Yeah... I'm going to lose the weight first, then start building muscle.

• mccindy72
    Options

That is a great plan. I like it! Best of luck to you. I'm jealous, I wish I could get into MMA.
  • nlmillervt
    nlmillervt Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    First, a caveat: based on personal experience, I'm not entirely convinced that you can't lost weight and gain muscle at the same time. After I graduated college, I took a physically demanding job, and suspect that I gained muscle even though my weight dropped. However, since I was moderately to highly active 10 or more hours per day, that might not be reasonable for most people.

All of that being said, you may find that as you gain muscle, the weight becomes less important. I'm 5'6", and can be healthy anywhere from 125 lbs. to 143 lbs. It all depends on how much of that weight is functional muscle weight versus fat.
  • jesperkus
    Options

That is a great plan. I like it! Best of luck to you. I'm jealous, I wish I could get into MMA.

You should totally do it! Why can't you?

• jesperkus
    Options
    nlmillervt wrote: »
    First, a caveat: based on personal experience, I'm not entirely convinced that you can't lost weight and gain muscle at the same time. After I graduated college, I took a physically demanding job, and suspect that I gained muscle even though my weight dropped. However, since I was moderately to highly active 10 or more hours per day, that might not be reasonable for most people.

All of that being said, you may find that as you gain muscle, the weight becomes less important. I'm 5'6", and can be healthy anywhere from 125 lbs. to 143 lbs. It all depends on how much of that weight is functional muscle weight versus fat.

See, for me, I don't want to build a lot of muscle right away because I don't want to look stocky. The goal is to be somewhat cut and lean.

I've been doing mma, so I can't help but build muscle but I'm doing cardio too.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/

Also, it's a lot easier to maintain whatever muscle you currently have than to lose it while you diet poorly, then try to exercise & eat lots of protein to regain it.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    jesperkus wrote:
    I don't want to build a lot of muscle right away because I don't want to look stocky. The goal is to be somewhat cut and lean.
    :sigh:
    Go have a look at Sara's pictures.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/profile/sarauk2sf
    Do you think she looks "stocky"? I think she looks bleep good.
    She is a famous weightlifter who works hard at it and is very very strong.
    @Sarauk2sf

Also, if you're a normal natural woman with normal hormones, it will be hard to build muscle, let alone a lot of it, and it won't happen quickly or "right away".
  • jesperkus
    Options
    MKEgal wrote: »
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/

Also, it's a lot easier to maintain whatever muscle you currently have than to lose it while you diet poorly, then try to exercise & eat lots of protein to regain it.

My diet has been pretty good lately. Just trying to keep it that way. I'm fine with the muscle. I'm trying to lose the fat on top.

• jesperkus
    Options
    jesperkus wrote:
    I don't want to build a lot of muscle right away because I don't want to look stocky. The goal is to be somewhat cut and lean.
    @Sarauk2sf

Also, if you're a normal natural woman with normal hormones, it will be hard to build muscle, let alone a lot of it, and it won't happen quickly or "right away".

Yeah she looks good. I like the photo. Hmm... maybe I'm relaying it the wrong way... I want to keep my femininity, ofcourse, but I just want to toned arms.

Not trying to look like I'm in American gladiators

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    jesperkus wrote:
    @Sarauk2sf

Yeah she looks good. I like the photo. Hmm... maybe I'm relaying it the wrong way... I want to keep my femininity, ofcourse, but I just want to toned arms.

Not trying to look like I'm in American gladiators

Well that's not going to happen...Unless you try really really really hard, have the right genetics...and even then, not really.