New Running Shoes?

Options
Hey all, I'm a pretty avid runner in order to get my cardio, but it seems my current sneakers are on their way out. I've gone through two pairs of Nike Shoxs and I don't feel they do a whole lot as far as cushioning the blow to my ankles/shins. Has anyone had luck with a specific kind of running sneaker? Preferable ones that reduce impact, thank ya!

Replies

• JDMPWR
    JDMPWR Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    I have been using Nike Free Running +2. Once I got used to them I felt they were the best shoe I could have picked at the time.
  • ukhennin
    ukhennin Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    All the advice I see says to go to a small running store where you can get a personal fitting. That's what I plan on doing before I start my C25K.
  • beerbomber
    beerbomber Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Do you just race for excericise or competition?

If you run for just excercise I like Brooks to train in but when I do tri/duoathlons I like to go with Nike Lunaracers but I had some lunaflys and they are good too
  • reyna99
    reyna99 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Nike is not for running or at least in my experience! I would suggest Asics or Mizunos :) Good Luck!

but everyone is different =)
  • kelsully
    kelsully Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    This is a question that no one can answer for you...a shoe that is awesome for you would give me shin splints..I need insole and a nuetral shoe etc etc etc...if running is your think find a running store and have the experts help you.
  • foxxybrown
    foxxybrown Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Nike Free TR Fit
  • LOVEsummer
    LOVEsummer Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I used to prefer running in cushioned shoes as well, until I tried minimalist shoes and they actually strengthened my legs, ankles etc... I LOVE LOVE LOVE Newtons... maybe see if you can try a whole bunch on and run around in them. Good running stores even offer 90 day return policies and such :)

In my experience Nike makes a crap runner... their clothes are great, shoes are not

Good luck!!
  • gates1064
    gates1064 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    New Balance?
  • jeff261159
    jeff261159 Posts: 385
    Options
    I had terrible knees due to shock and ainful outer edges on my feet. Just got fitted with a pair of NIKE EQUALON 4 running shoes, they are brill (for me). Go to a shop where they watch you run and check your feet and legs over.
  • jennyraelo
    jennyraelo Posts: 2
    Options
    my favorite is asics gel nimbus...expensive, but worth it...
  • BehindBlueEyes988
    Options
    Thanks guys! I'm not a competitive runner, just do it for the benefits right now. I can't afford ones too expensive (broke college intern) but I know to get some quality they're gonna be pricey. I had one friend tell me run barefoot, lol. I'll be looking into these because my ol' nike's are about gone
  • DizzieLittleLifter
    DizzieLittleLifter Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    Love my Asics ( Cumulus 13) fantastic, but I URGE you to go to a running store. You can try out different shoes on the treadmill or even outside. Best way to invest in a new shoe. JUST TRY IT. You will be so happy you did.
  • alb_photog
    alb_photog Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    All the advice I see says to go to a small running store where you can get a personal fitting.

THiS!

A specially store analyzes your gait and foots flexibility, and puts you in the right shoes for you. I love my Fleet Feet store.
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    All the advice I see says to go to a small running store where you can get a personal fitting.

THiS!

A specially store analyzes your gait and foots flexibility, and puts you in the right shoes for you. I love my Fleet Feet store.

yup, go get fitted (i just went over lunch!)

and nike shox are probably the worst thing you can run in!
  • BehindBlueEyes988
    Options

THiS!

I'll be sure to check around for one in this area and pay them a visit! I think a good running shoe is something I need to invest in. It seems the only thing that keeps me from running as much as i want are my shin splints or wickedly sore ankles (only happen when I got to 3 miles)
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! I'm not a competitive runner, just do it for the benefits right now. I can't afford ones too expensive (broke college intern) but I know to get some quality they're gonna be pricey. I had one friend tell me run barefoot, lol. I'll be looking into these because my ol' nike's are about gone

tell the store your budget and check online to see if you can find that shoe at a more reasonable price too.

barefoot is kind of hard to get used to...i have vibram 5 finger shoes that are like running barefoot but protect from cuts...they are great but i dont run more thatn 3 or 4 miles in them
  • outersoul
    outersoul Posts: 711
    Options
    All the advice I see says to go to a small running store where you can get a personal fitting. That's what I plan on doing before I start my C25K.

This ^. At worse, go get fitted and surf for places to buy them cheaper. I did this when I started running and have bought two pairs from the same running store. It's such a good investment.
  • BehindBlueEyes988
    Options
    The friend actually uses those, lol, but I told him I'm not so sure on the barefoot thing. Right now I use a treadmill since there isn't a running track around here, but I'll be sure to give them my range!
  • beerbomber
    beerbomber Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    looking for good running shoes that are cheap go to Nike.com and go to their clearance they always have last years running shoes for amost half price. When you get into Mizuno, Saucony, Ect you better make sure you know how you pronate or they will be uncomfortable as hell if you get the wrong shoe for the wrong pronation
  • TS65
    TS65 Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    We can all tell you how much we love our shoes (Asics 2160) - BUT...

YOUR feet are not OUR feet. Do you have an arch? Do you pronate? What if I do and you don't? MY shoes are NOT going to work for you AND could injure you. Your best bet would be to go to a running store to get fitted and get the right shoes for YOUR stride.

If you don't have a running store, try Shoe Dog:

http://www.roadrunnersports.com/rrs/product/shoe-dog.jsp?cm_re=hp-_-left_1-_-shoe_dog

**sheesh I'm slow - look at all the great similar advice you got while I was busy typing. :laugh: