The Dreaded Binge

Options
Hi....my name is Kim and I just had a binge. :( Does anyone know how to pick yourself up after one? Any advice is appreciated

Replies

• LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    Yes. :) Pick yourself up, dust yourself off and start over again. Not tomorrow (unless it's the end of your day anyway) but immediately following the binge. Just eat normally (within your goals) the following day.
  • xkime
    xkime Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I feel awful, like I've ruined all of my exercise for the month or something.
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    xkime wrote: »
    Thank you! I feel awful, like I've ruined all of my exercise for the month or something.

Did you binge at least 3500 calories above your MAINTENANCE calories? If not, then you haven't blown your entire month. If so, you still haven't blown your entire month unless you only lost one pound last month. :)

• Tubbs216
    Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member
    Options
    xkime wrote: »

Unlikely, unless it was a really epic binge. Tomorrow will be better.

oqqzvoalluxc.jpg
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    Log it. Get on with life.

One day will have no effect in the long run.
  • hyIianprincess
    hyIianprincess Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    This is something I struggle with a lot but realistically, one day will not effect your progress as long as you get right back on track. The most that can happen is maybe some water weight. :) Take it easy
  • jenniferinfl
    jenniferinfl Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Just treat it as a learning opportunity. Some people find it helpful to keep a journal to try to figure out what triggered the binge. I've known friends for instance that will extreme diet to 500 calories one day and then binge the following day.

My trigger used to be that 'time of the month' because I would gain 3 lbs or so the day before and be all upset because I'd eaten right and exercised and there was no way I should've gained 3 lbs. Add that with already being a smidgen more emotional and that was my perfect recipe for an impending binge. Now I use a phone app that warns me a few days before. (Though, I forgot to put the app on the new phone and had a mini meltdown this month too.. lol) Anyhow, knowledge is power, tracking down why the binge happened can help you prevent the next one.

My other trigger is pizza. There was pizza at work today and I knew better than to even go in the breakroom. I wish I could have one piece and walk away from the box, but I can't yet. I can have the smallest slice of cake or pie with no problem, I can eat two chips and not really want more, but pizza is my crazy switch. I have eaten an entire large pizza by myself before. Not pretty!

This won't be your last binge. I know I haven't had my last binge. Something will happen and it will just be the perfect storm. All you can do is learn from it and move forward.
  • 7aneena
    7aneena Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    @xkime I know exactly what you're going through because I just did the same thing! oh well there's always tomorrow..... except I have an appointment with my dietician tomorrow :sweat_smile:
  • jontucc
    jontucc Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    It's done nothing you can do to change it so move forward and get back on track. If I eat more than I should I like to go for a walk to burn off some calories and feel better.
  • xkime
    xkime Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys for your responses and your stories. It won't be my last binge. But now I know how to get through it:)
  • JoAnnRyan123
    JoAnnRyan123 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I exercise after a binge
    And don't let one binge slip lead to a whole off day etc.