I can weight train easy but can't run for the life of me. Why?

Options
Well, I can run but only 30 seconds tops even when pacing myself, then I'll immediately burn out. Yet I can do resistance training/weights for 30+ minutes without getting burnt out. If I am physically strong then how come I can't run fast or that long? I'm 5'6 female 23 y/o and 123-125 pounds so I doubt it's a weight problem. I get plenty protein and complex carbs along with healthy fats and over 70 oz of water daily. I can lift no problem but I can't seem to run. There has to be something I'm doing wrong. I have a pacemaker in me but that can't be it otherwise I would quickly get burnt out from weight training too. Any help?

Replies

• Noelv1976
    Noelv1976 Posts: 18,948 Member
    Options
    How do you run?
  • Childfree1991
    Childfree1991 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Noelv1976 wrote: »
    How do you run?
    What do you mean by that?

• Noelv1976
    Options
    Do you start out quickly? Do you warm up? How are you dressed?
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    try couch 2 5k (C25K)
  • Childfree1991
    Options
    I start medium (not fast but not slow). I wear my Nike fitness suit (the one in my profile pic). Would a brisk walk be considered a warm up?

• Noelv1976
    Options
    If you've never ran before I would start out slow pace. Ensure your shoes are meant for running. Me personally I wouldn't wear the minimalist unless you're comfortable in running. Try running for a short amount of time then walk for a few. Do that until you feel comfortable
  • Childfree1991
    Options
    If you've never ran before I would start out slow pace. Ensure your shoes are meant for running. Me personally I wouldn't wear the minimalist unless you're comfortable in running. Try running for a short amount of time then walk for a few. Do that until you feel comfortable
    Ok, thanks!
  • katarina005
    katarina005 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    do you do your weight training before you run? If I do I'm beat. I have to do my cardio first.

Also I'd say make sure you do a proper warm up
  • katarina005
    katarina005 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I start medium (not fast but not slow). I wear my Nike fitness suit (the one in my profile pic). Would a brisk walk be considered a warm up?

I would say no. I try and do my warm up close to 10 minutes, although 5 is probably fine. First 5 I work up to a 3.0 pace, starting around 2.0. Second I ease into a swifter pace, 2 min at each speed before changing. I know it might seem overkill, but you have to build up your heart rate and give your muscles a chance to properly adjust.

I also found interval training helped me build my stamina. Random or hill, and adjust settings as I need to
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    So you are stong but have very little endurance. It does not sound at all unusual. Can you walk? I would start by walking, several times per week and then follow a beginner's prgram, like c25k.
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    Is it just running, or is it all cardio? If it's just running (that's how I am), I look at it like, why can't I sing well like some people can? Maybe it's just not something I am meant to do well. As long as I can go on the bike, or elliptical, etc, then I don't need to run (unless the zombies attack, but I've already been assured that I can probably escape in the mass confusion before the running starts :D )
  • aaliceinw
    aaliceinw Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    The C25K programme will help you to build up stamina so that you can begin to run. It will also do it in safe way so that you do not injure yourself. But before you start even that you may want to first start timed walks. Set a distance and time the walk, slowly increase your walking pace over a period of a month and also monitor your heart rate.

That is how I started running (but didn't use C25K and fractured my ankle). But I did go from never ran in my life, because I couldn't, I would collapse in 30 seconds, to running my first kilometre in less than 10 weeks.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I agree with do C25k if you want to start running.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    The question above "is it just running or all cardio?" is important.
    If it's all cardio you just aren't very fit.
    If it's just running then it's probably your pace that's wrong for your current level of fitness.

I've never had an easy running pace or a jogging pace, I can walk or I can sprint but the bit in between is very hard for me.
    I just can't jog or plod slowly for a 5k - it's either a proper run or nothing at all for me.
  • waldo11690
    waldo11690 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    The question above "is it just running or all cardio?" is important.
    If it's all cardio you just aren't very fit.
    If it's just running then it's probably your pace that's wrong for your current level of fitness.

I've never had an easy running pace or a jogging pace, I can walk or I can sprint but the bit in between is very hard for me.
    I just can't jog or plod slowly for a 5k - it's either a proper run or nothing at all for me.

Same goes for me.
  • kmccann357
    kmccann357 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I have it the other way, cardio is easy but I'm a big weak wimp with weights. Could it just be you're better at one thing naturally over the other? I have long strong legs which make running very easy!
  • mrsswisspea
    mrsswisspea Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Being strong is important for running properly, but people can run for 5km+ without any weight training (speaking from experience), it's a cardio thing. Just run for as long as you possibly can, then walk till you feel like you can try another run. Pacing is difficult, and it comes with time. I started trying to slow down and pace myself, once I realized if I just slowed down, I wouldn't have to stop for a full 5km. You'll see results really quickly (within a couple weeks you'll be running for much longer than 30 seconds).
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Because you can be strong and have good muscle development, but weak in terms of cardio vascular health. This is why you should do both for overall health but plenty of people tend to do just the one they like or even more stupid, tell others one is superior to the other. Just start doing a bit more progressive cardio if you want to improve just like weights. You could always try a halfway house and do some kettlebell/ circuit training.
  • Maleficent0241
    Maleficent0241 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »
    So you are stong but have very little endurance. It does not sound at all unusual. Can you walk? I would start by walking, several times per week and then follow a beginner's prgram, like c25k.
    Yep this. Two very different systems being taxed. I'm not sure what's normal or not with a pacemaker so I'm not even going to touch on that, but assuming you are healthy enough to run, you just need to slowly build up your endurance and eventually speed.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    If you burn out in 30 seconds, slow it down; you're probably going closer to a sprint than a jog -- and a jog is what you should be aiming for. Resistance and weight training isn't building the same capacities that cardio/running do, so you can't go from one to the other and expect the same results.

Also if you're "burned out" in 30 seconds, it could be a mental thing, not necessarily all physical.