Heavy drinking: Rehab or exercise?

Options
I understand that I'm not consuming alcohol in a normal rate. It is out of my control and I need to stop it. I'm frustrated and angry on everything, and I very well know that it's the uncontrollable mind. Now need help, should I opt to go to and rehab or can I find a healthy way out through motivation and exercise? If rehab I've already found Sunshine Coast Health Centre as a good solution. Checked reviews on them and found that they are good; http://www.canadarehabreviews.com/reviews/sunshine-coast-health-centre/
If exercise is a solution you have my all ears. HELP!

Replies

• yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    From someone who has been to two outpatient treatments centers and still went to the gym throughout both of them. I's save rehab over exercise any day of the week. That's me though I know what alcohol can do to some and me.

My real answer is do both.
  • cleaver1
    cleaver1 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I don't know the reasons behind your heavy drinking and I'm not a trained professional when it comes to addiction and neither are other posters here so I feel like the best solution would be to either check out that rehab facility or to make an appointment with a therapist.

I don't think that you should find a solution to any kind of addiction by listening to posters on MFP, or anywhere else.

I agree. Whilst diet and exercise can help the drink problem may have caused other underlying health issues not to mention the issues that caused the drinking in the first place. I recommend speaking to a trained professional to get their recommendations. This has to be the first step.
  • NightShiftMedic
    NightShiftMedic Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I don't usually chime in on the forum if someone's already said what I have to say as two on here have, but I believe the point is so important as to bear repeating.

Please get help from a professional. MFP or any other forum for that matter isn't really the place to find the answers you need. Many of the people on here mean well, myself included, but don't really have any expertise in what you're looking for.

I wish you the best of luck in your journey.
  • Jazznit
    Jazznit Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I agree, I would just add that it's important to seek professional help when trying to deal with an addiction. Rehab also has access to medical health professionals. So if you can better consult with them. Remember you don't have to wait to go to rehab. You can pop into a meeting anytime. Get healthy, just tackle one thing at a time. Best of luck!
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    You have chosen to sign up for MFP to loose a lot of weight. It seems you have a drinking problem that has contributed to this and alcholism..

Cannot become alcohol free and loose weight at the same time in my mind... My question is why are you asking strangers in cyber space about this? Really?

And choose exercise over professional help/rehab and getting a medical withdrawal off alcohol... Really?

This is not a forum to discuss a true medical issue regarding addiction/alcoholism...

• amyf2000
    amyf2000 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Alcoholism is a medical condition. Just like with cancer, you should seek medical advice and assistance. Do not feel discouraged by the judgmental comments you are receiving here. Seek out a therapist who can guide you to a program appropriate for your needs.

Exercise is amazing for your health, energy and mood. It will help you face the challenge of dealing with addiction - but I don't think it will make the addiction go away.

Call your doctor, then go for a walk. You will feel better making positive steps towards taking control of your health.