Don't want to give up alcohol

Options
is alcohol really that bad for you? I own a pub and socially drink, I always add it into my diary and am careful to try and not go over (except a bad day at the beginning of restarting this). used my fitness pal a few months ago and managed to lose a fair bit of weight. Got slack and put some back on, seem to be losing weight fairly steadily at the minute so is the drinking really doing me that much harm?

Replies

• Jgasmic
    Jgasmic Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    If you can fit it into your calories and you like it then it's fine. I usually decide to eat at maintenance on days that I will be drinking (also socially so maybe one day a week) just so I'm not cutting out food AND drinking on top of it. My 32 year old body can't handle drinking the way my 21 year old body could, I'd be hung over for days if I replaced a meal with booze.
  • superaustinbell
    superaustinbell Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    From what I've read it's pretty bad lots of empty calories I only get 2 weeks every 2 months to drink and I'm gonna cut back to just the 2 Saturday's im home and also alchohol hinders your metabolism so that's not good for weight loss
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    is alcohol really that bad for you?

If you don't drink it to the point of liver failure or beating up family members then no it's not bad at all. Fit it into your calorie plan.
  • runmama411
    runmama411 Posts: 162 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    So my 99 yr old healthy grandfather says the secret to a good long life is drinking up to 2 beers everyday. Who am I to argue?
  • DeterminedFee201426
    DeterminedFee201426 Posts: 859 Member
    Options
    ncboiler89 wrote: »
    is alcohol really that bad for you?

If you don't drink it to the point of liver failure or beating up family members then no it's not bad at all. Fit it into your calorie plan.
    Exactly , just fit in ur calorie plan

• TiffanyR71
    TiffanyR71 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    On the days when I know I will have a couple/few glasses of wine at night, I try to get in a lot of activity, so that I can use my activity calories for the wine. That way, I'm not using up my nutritional calories in place of the wine... tracking also keeps me honest, so that I'm not drinking more than I think I am, if you know what I mean... I say, enjoy (and track).
  • MamaJ1974
    MamaJ1974 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    I've lost 17 pounds and I have a couple glasses of wine three or four times a week!
  • DeterminedFee201426
    DeterminedFee201426 Posts: 859 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    MamaJ1974 wrote: »
    I've lost 17 pounds and I have a couple glasses of wine three or four times a week!
    i losted 22 lbs am currently doing the same pattern

• robynmoosehead
    robynmoosehead Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Hooray! I never skip meals for it, whether I was drinking or not, my calories for the day are usually about 900-1000 for three meals.
    I kind of think it helps. Glass of wine feels like a treat and as long as it's in the goals, it's almost a guilt free reward
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Alcohol damages your liver and if consumed in large quantities or quantities become excessive and leads to addiction -- yeah it is bad for you!

I drank two margaritas Tuesday night but I did not die yet or even gain any weight so you have decide for your self.
  • serenity1097
    serenity1097 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I drink a couple glasses of wine every night while making/eating dinner...I'm down 16 lbs and losing at a good enough pace for me. I would rather enjoy my life & maybe lose a little slower, rather than make myself go without & give in to major cravings later!!
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Fit it into your calories and you should be good. If you drank a couple every night, maybe cut down to one or go every other night so you can get more food in but it really is your choice.

3 days a week I have so many extra calories (swim laps for an hour, take a water aerobics class, plus walk 10k steps) that I can't eat them all, so I have a glass of wine to up my calories a little. Hasn't slowed down my weight loss a bit (just shy of 100 lb so far)