Need a high protein diet, any suggestions?

Need to lose 40 pounds.

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    What do you mean by high protein, and why do you need to eat high protein?
  • csman49
    csman49 Posts: 1,100 Member
    eat more protein. Eat less carbs/fats.
  • joolsmd
    joolsmd Posts: 375 Member
    Lots of meat, fish, shellfish, and eggs will probably do it, although you might want to check you stay in a calorie deficit.
  • hajaseric
    hajaseric Posts: 2 Member
    I hit 250g a day while staying around 2000 calories. Protein shake for breakfast, cottage cheese + canned tuna for lunch, a pound of chicken for dinner. This gets you around 200-220g. The rest can be finished up by vegetables and snacking on light string cheese and chicken jerky.
  • sweet2178
    sweet2178 Posts: 5 Member
    Thank you hajaseric!
  • Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    Drink loads of water to keep your kidneys healthy.
  • sweet2178
    What do you mean by high protein, and why do you need to eat high protein?

I think that if i eat a high protein diet, i will burn calories faster.
  • Hefzorz
    Hefzorz Posts: 1
    get shredded
  • sweet2178
    I am so happy- 2 pounds in 5 days....... Been drinking lots of acai berry tea.....
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    sweet2178 wrote: »

I think that if i eat a high protein diet, i will burn calories faster.

What you eat will have not effect on how quickly you burn calories, what you do might (if you work out you burn more than if you are sedentary). But sitting on the couch eating protein will not make you burn more calories or burn them faster than sitting on the couch eating carbs.

For your first question:eat meats, dairy products, eggs, protein bars and shakes can be helpful if thats up your alley, quonoa is one of the higher protein grains, edamime is higher protein for a vegetable, beans are a good protein and carb source

If you want lower fat and higher protein then focus on lean meats (chicken, turkey, fish), egg whites, and lowfat dairy
  • sweet2178
    Thank you so much... This really helps to put things in perspective. It seems like I need to go back to the gym.
  • Body_4_Life
    Body_4_Life Posts: 23 Member
    Could try a Keto plan... They work well but are restrictive