Discover what's new & improved in the MyFitnessPal app!
We’re dedicated to helping you achieve your health and nutrition goals. And our newest features and updates? They do just that. Learn how we're making tracking your progress easier, faster, and more motivating than ever.

I think I might be pregnant and I need a little help..

Options
I was wondering what kind of exercises I could do if someone is pregnant. I may be pregnant, but I'm not 100% sure. I just want to take caution as I am doing my exercise because if I am I don't want to hurt the baby.
Ideas?

Thank you!

Replies

• ivyjbres
    ivyjbres Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    As a general rule, you can do anything you did before you were pregnant, while you're pregnant, at least until your doctor tells you to stop.If you haven't been active before your pregnancy, you can walk, do light impact up to an hour or the equivalent of three miles.
  • funfitfoodie
    funfitfoodie Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    jogging... I know davina has a pregnancy dvd...
  • BamBam1113
    BamBam1113 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    You should be pretty safe with anything. I wouldn't combine unicycling with pogo sticking, but other than that, if it's good for you..it's good for the baby.
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    As a general rule, you can do anything you did before you were pregnant, while you're pregnant, at least until your doctor tells you to stop.

yes, this.
    There's no way to "hurt the baby" by doing high impact aerobics or zumba or even jumping on a trampoline. Don't go parachuting or bungee jumping or anything but "normal-person" activities are fine.
  • mishelnkiki
    mishelnkiki Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    You should be pretty safe with anything. I wouldn't combine unicycling with pogo sticking, but other than that, if it's good for you..it's good for the baby.
    agree with majority!
  • poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    I'm currently 34 weeks pregnant with baby #4. I just stopped jogging at 30 weeks. I still lift - a LOT. I just took up kettlebells and already swing a 15lb bell. I do a lot of cardio interval training and circuit training and I still train others. Sooo, keep up what you're doing.
  • RTricia
    RTricia Posts: 720
    Options
    congrats in advance either way... oh, and you won't hurt the baby unless you're like ingesting awful cigarette smoke or alcohol during your pregnancy - and hot tubs! Avoid hot tubs!

Gorsh. People even have sex while pregnant so you can't hurt baby that way unless the doctor advises you against certain exercises.

Praying for you!! :flowerforyou:
  • adams4101
    adams4101 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Like the others said, whatever you did before yo can do during pregnancy. For instance if you had a toddler that you pick up all the time, then you can still pick them up even when ur 8 months pregnant bc ur body is used to it, but if you never lifted anything heavy like that then did at 8 months you could hurt yourself. It's the same concept with exercising. If you do it now then you can do it later, you just don't want to start running a mile in the middle of your pregnancy. Just don't do anything real strenuous, other than that your good, unless you have complications and the doctor says not to.
  • Angela4Health
    Angela4Health Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    Consult your doctor. It's not the same for everyone, and the health and safety of you and your baby is number 1.
  • kylabolin
    kylabolin Posts: 7
    Options
    Thank you!
    I need about all the prayers I can get. Being 19 and having a baby will not be easy, but I got this! (:
  • kylabolin
    Options
    Thank you all for your help!
    It is greatly appreciated!
  • GrampsWooha
    GrampsWooha Posts: 184
    Options
    its not mine is it.....eeeeeeeeek :)
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    walk and swimming you can do.I`d get with a dr before i`d do anything heavy duty.
    good luck!!
    jane
  • BamBam1113
    BamBam1113 Posts: 542 Member
    Options

God help us if you ever procreate. lmao
  • eeeekie
    eeeekie Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options

lmao
  • DizzieLittleLifter
    DizzieLittleLifter Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    Agree with the PP. Your good for anything really. The concern is more towards the middle and end of PG when one's balance is thrown off. The baby has a nice cushion around it and is perfectly fine. I have friends that have done advanced Yoga all the way through PG, many runners run the whole PG. I kayaked at 7 months :laugh: It's good for you to get exercise the whole way through. Congrats if you are! :flowerforyou:
  • DizzieLittleLifter
    DizzieLittleLifter Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    Thank you!
    I need about all the prayers I can get. Being 19 and having a baby will not be easy, but I got this! (:
    :smile: You got it! :heart: I had mine young (was 21) It's not easy, you will get some flack from stupid people, but you CAN do it. AND do it well! :smile: If you need some advice I'm just a PM away!
  • sbwood888
    sbwood888 Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    You dont have to do any special excercises. You can basically do anything you did before you were pregnant (unless you have a high risk pregnancy--the doctor will let you know if you need to limit physical movement, etc). Really, being pregnant is not a "fragile" condition. In prior times, many women worked in the fields all day long right up until the baby came.
  • kylabolin
    Options
    haha, no its not yours!
    Thank you for the humor though!
  • Becca619
    Becca619 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    http://www.momsintofitness.com/dvds/lindsay-brin-complete-pregnancy-fitness-program

Those are great pregnancy exercise DVDs, and love her postnatal boot camp too for after baby comes :)