Former yo-yo dieters, what changed for you to finally make it 'stick'?

Options
What was different about the diet/maintenance plan that ultimately worked for you?

Replies

• Tubbs216
    Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member
    Options
    In for answers. I'm a yo-yoer too. :/
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    Realizing that I could hide (or try to hide) my binges to myself, I could hide them from other people, but I couldn't hide them from my thighs.

No matter what my "reasoning" for overeating, my body doesn't care. If I have a fight with my husband and pound back the calories, my body won't give me a pass and say "Well, there was a good reason for you to do that, so we're just going to pass all that through you without storing it." Eating at a different time of day, eating different food combinations, etc., won't make my body decide not to utilize and store excess calories. Being on vacation won't make my body decide not to utilize and store excess calories.

Only sticking to plan will make me lose weight.

Only that, and nothing else. Well, barring some terrible illness, but God forbid and I daresay if I were battling such an illness, hot-looking thighs probably wouldn't be on my priorities list anyway.
  • SR_86
    SR_86 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Realising I'm 'changing my lifestyle' and not 'dieting'.
  • gle8442
    gle8442 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    SR_86 wrote: »

The thing is that every time I have lost weight, I believed that that was what I was doing, changing my lifestyle. And yet it can't be true because later on the weight came back. So this time around, even though I want to believe I've made a true change, I'm doubting myself a lot.

On the other hand, I guess with every round of weight loss I have picked up one or two good habits that really did stick, even if it was not enough to turn the tide.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    My first step was reasonable goals. Setting my account up to lose 2 pounds per week was too aggressive even if I did have almost 70 pounds to lose. One pound per week may not seem like much, but it gave me enough food that I stuck to it long term.

My second step was to find out the damage that yo-yo dieting does to the body and reverse it. Through dieting we lose lean mass as well as fat mass. One way to prevent that and to regain some of what is lost is through strength training. The second key is to eat adequate protein.

The last step was to make everything sustainable. I added exercise that I enjoyed, I made sure to include foods I like (even chocolate and ice cream), I filled up on nutrient dense foods through the day, and I remembered when I had a bad day that even 20 days of falling off the wagon in a year is only 5% of the year.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    gle8442 wrote: »
    What was different about the diet/maintenance plan that ultimately worked for you?

Hey, yur talkin' ta me! :)

Seriously, I stopped categorizing food as good or bad, and I started eating all the foods I love in moderation. I also changed my relationship with food.

The food scale is my friend. I'm not afraid to eat anymore either.
  • Castrofreak
    Castrofreak Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I had bad eating habits so changing them was hard. Um I think I just thought to myself, "Is this food going to bring me to my goal? I can have it another day, its not going away. It'll be there when you hit your goal weight." Weird but its worked for 10 pounds.
  • overlook237
    overlook237 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I told myself that no food is off limits. In the past, I would tell myself that I couldn't have chocolate/donuts/pizza, etc. so of course, that was all I could think about until I couldn't stand it any more. I'd binge, feel guilty, and usually just give up. This time, I either work those foods into my daily calorie allowance (ice cream is a go-to dessert but I weigh out a serving instead of eating out of the carton) or I eat them on my weekly treat day (but I still try to exercise portion control because bingeing and stuffing myself with anything is a habit I needed to break).

I also tried to find ways to incorporate my favorite flavors/foods into lower calorie versions that are still delicious and satisfying. When I'm craving Mexican food, I make a Mexican-style casserole with corn tortillas, refried beans, salsa, and cheese. If I want potato chips (I still can't stop at one serving of those!), I eat a serving of pretzels to get that salty crunch. I'll make mini pizzas for dinner for an entire week using Fiber One sandwich thins as crust, homemade sauce, fresh mozzarella and veggies. Is it the same as takeout pizza? No, but it's very tasty and I've never finished one and still wished I had a slice from the local pizza place. :)
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    My first step was reasonable goals. Setting my account up to lose 2 pounds per week was too aggressive even if I did have almost 70 pounds to lose. One pound per week may not seem like much, but it gave me enough food that I stuck to it long term.

My second step was to find out the damage that yo-yo dieting does to the body and reverse it. Through dieting we lose lean mass as well as fat mass. One way to prevent that and to regain some of what is lost is through strength training. The second key is to eat adequate protein.

The last step was to make everything sustainable. I added exercise that I enjoyed, I made sure to include foods I like (even chocolate and ice cream), I filled up on nutrient dense foods through the day, and I remembered when I had a bad day that even 20 days of falling off the wagon in a year is only 5% of the year.

all of this. I couldn't have said it better.

It got me off a 20 year yo yo

• 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I learned that most of the "advice" out there isn't being spread around because it works, it is being spread around because it is what people want to hear and it sells, lets face it the world is all about money.

I have always been a math/sciencey kinda of person, but for some reason it took me a long time to think of applying that to weight loss. Throw a little common sense, biology, and physiology behind weight loss theories and you can start to pick out the ones that actually work and ones that don't.

Realizing that weight loss is mostly mental. For those of us without medical conditions interveening in our progress it really is about figuring out what drives you to over eat and either over coming that or redirecting it.
  • runmama411
    runmama411 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I think it's just being persistent for the rest of your life. You'll have bad days, but it's doing the next right thing that matters. Not letting that day or meal start a week-long or longer backslide. Good luck to you. We're all fighting the same uphill battle.
  • kikichewie
    kikichewie Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    The first time I ever had to try to lose weight was in my 30s. I ate 1200-1500 calories a day and mostly ran, working up from zero to 8-mile long runs on weekends before hurting my knee. I lost 15 pounds in six months, which felt like a lot for me. I was very lean, but "normal" for me. However, with the lack of running and worse dietary habits, those pounds came back and then some over the next few years.

The second time I dieted, I did a VLCD with appetite suppressants bc I didn't want to work so hard and wait so long for results. Then the yoyoing really began. I didn't work out and decimated my muscle mass. Then came an increase in stress topped off with fertility meds. The weight came back on and even more. Then came pregnancy (yay) with bed rest and a 40+ pound increase.

After naturally dropping those 40 pounds, I did the VLCD again. Dropped back down to the original high from the very first time around. Then quit and regained all the way up to my stressed out, hormone filled pregnancy weight.

What's different this time? Extreme patience. Going for 1/2 pound a week. Lifting heavy. Focusing on my health first. Doing yoga. Working on my flexibility. Paying attentions to my macros. But most of all, determining to take it slow.
  • Sharperjme
    Options

Great answer! Thanks for sharing it.
  • Danixkm
    Danixkm Posts: 114 Member
    Options

This. Realizing diets are temporary solutions and a lifestyle change is well, obviously for life.
  • angelgreathouse9
    angelgreathouse9 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Learning that everything is fine in moderation, diet pills don't work forever, and healthy eating is the best. Diets are temporary lifestyle changes can be forever, the ONE thing I can control in my life is what I chose to put into my body, everything else not so much.
  • Jessikin13
    Jessikin13 Posts: 52 Member
    Options

This, in a nutshell
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    I told myself that no food is off limits. In the past, I would tell myself that I couldn't have chocolate/donuts/pizza, etc. so of course, that was all I could think about until I couldn't stand it any more. I'd binge, feel guilty, and usually just give up. This time, I either work those foods into my daily calorie allowance (ice cream is a go-to dessert but I weigh out a serving instead of eating out of the carton) or I eat them on my weekly treat day (but I still try to exercise portion control because bingeing and stuffing myself with anything is a habit I needed to break).

quote]

This was the big difference for me. I can eat whatever I want, just not as often and not as much of it as I used to. Telling myself I can't have pizza or cookies or ice cream made me want those things even more. Now if I have a cookie once in a while, it doesn't do that much damage and I don't eat an entire batch when I give in.
  • ar9179
    ar9179 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I'm not a "former" yet, but I think I've finally realized that I can't relax. I can't eat whatever I want in whatever quantity. I can't NOT exercise regularly. I will likely need to weigh my food and track for a long time after reaching goal so that I don't have calorie creep.

If I yo-yo back, it will be my own dang fault.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    Before, I was dieting until I lost the weight. I would go too low in my calories and not eat back exercise calories. I would last 2 months at the most and would stop because I was burned out. But the intention was always that this was something temporary that I would lose the weight and then I would stop and life would be magical. But I never believed that I could actually do it and blamed myself and thought I was just a failure.

Now, this is something I'm going to do forever. It doesn't matter how fast I lose the weight because I'm never going to stop. I'm eating more and losing at a slower rate so that I can "live life" while I'm in weight loss mode. I have no intention of stopping tracking my food when I hit maintenance.

It really came down to three things:
    1. Recognizing that this was a permanent change in my life
    2. Not making it a race to lose in the fastest time possible
    3. Believing that I can actually do this and having a plan to achieve my goals
  • Ridley2011
    Ridley2011 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'm not a former yet either, but one message I read on the maintenance board has stuck with me. The poster still had a significant amount of weight to lose, but talked about figuring out her maintenance calories for her goal weight and just starting to eat at that amount now. And forever. I haven't yet moved to that model, but think it has some real benefits, as there is no transition to maintenance, you just keep eating like you have been while losing. Of course, you might have to tweak the calorie goal as you get closer to your goal weight.