Sugar Intake

Options
My sugar intake has been going over my MFP recommendation, but most of it is from natural sources like fruit. Is this still bad? If so, what does it do exactly, and how do I fix this?

Replies

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Unless you have a medical condition where you need to restrict sugars it's not a problem
  • ninjawaffles22
    ninjawaffles22 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Okay, thanks!
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    If you are on track with your other nutrients, then it's unlikely you need to worry about it. Fruit is good.
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    I went over my sugar allowance by breakfast but used it all up in an epic run and lifting session. Fruit sugar isn't even as useful for sports as it has to go through more processes in the liver.

Bring on the sugar and carbs. As long as it gets used and is combined with protein and fats, and for sports we need the fast releasing carbs as well as the slow ones.
  • porchahicks
    Options
    All I love is sugar food so I found that when I crave it, I eat whip cream. Two table spoons
  • Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    That limit doesn't technically include fruit. It's the limit the FDA set for added sugars, but MyFitnessPal is counting all sugars under the sugar category. Both sugars have pretty much the same effect on your body, but the limit was likely set that way because the FDA wants to encourage people to eat more fruit and vegetables to get the micronutrients and fiber that they need. If you have no existing blood sugar problems, there is nothing to worry about.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    That limit doesn't technically include fruit.

Wrong. MFP's 15% of calories limit is for total sugar. "Added sugar" limits tend to be 10 or even 5% of calories. The majority of people eat less than two pieces / servings of fruit per day which is reflected in these population guidelines.