Exercise before a weigh in?

Options
I weigh in at the gym every Friday. I want to take a Zumba class but it's right before my weigh in and I'm afraid it might alter my weight. What do you think, is a little dancing first going to make a difference?

Replies

• scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    Probably you will weigh a little less right after Zumba.

But, what difference does it make?
  • Athos282
    Athos282 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I also generally count my weigh in after my hardest workout on Saturday morning. It's usually a long cardio session so I sweat a lot. The key with weigh-ins is consistency. Always weigh in wearing the same thing (if possible) under the same conditions (same time, after going to the bathroom, before eating, after working out or whatever).
  • tibby531
    tibby531 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    all of my weigh-ins are post workout and shower. I try to do my runs (biggest burns) on weigh-in days. ;)
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    There are three things that immediately come to mind.

1) I'm assuming that the Zumba class is at your gym. Is there a reason you can't weigh in before the class?

2) There may be a slight difference in weight before/after. If you are planning on making Friday Zumba a regular occurence, you could simply change your weigh-in time to after Zumba and just keep it consistent.

3) Can you change your weigh-in day to some other day? Again, just keep that consistent.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    whether you gain or lose it makes zero difference in reality. You are where you are. More likely to lose unless you are drinking copious amounts of water. Its all coming off anyway so what does it matter whether its this Friday or next?
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    The only way to weigh yourself that will get consistent results is first thing after you wake up in the morning, and after you relieve yourself in the washroom, oh and in your birthday suit.

Otherwise, what you eat, drink, and how active you are throughout the day will make your weight fluctuate and so you won't get consistent results.

Of course, what you ate/drink and how active you were the day before will have an effect on you weight, but after sleeping for 8 hours, the fluctuations will not be as extreme.

After all, you can gain/lose upwards of 5 lbs in a day.
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Just out of curiosity I weighed myself this morning as soon as I woke up and then after my 60 min weight training /45 min biking and I weighed 4 lbs more. I probably drank a gallon of water which weighs 8 lbs drank a protein shake with almond milk between weights and biking. The moral of this is weigh yourself at the same time every week preferably as soon as you wake up.
  • mitzi2013
    mitzi2013 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    There are three things that immediately come to mind.

1) I'm assuming that the Zumba class is at your gym. Is there a reason you can't weigh in before the class?

2) There may be a slight difference in weight before/after. If you are planning on making Friday Zumba a regular occurence, you could simply change your weigh-in time to after Zumba and just keep it consistent.

3) Can you change your weigh-in day to some other day? Again, just keep that consistent.

I'm in a group and we weigh in every Friday morning at 5am but I wasn't able to make it this morning and I had never exercised before our weigh in before. I couldn't weigh in before the class because the trainer who does the weigh ins wasn't there yet. It's not really a big deal, I was just wondering.