Former yo-yo dieters, what changed for you to finally make it 'stick'?

Options
2»

Replies

• ar9179
    ar9179 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Ridley2011 wrote: »
    I'm not a former yet either, but one message I read on the maintenance board has stuck with me. The poster still had a significant amount of weight to lose, but talked about figuring out her maintenance calories for her goal weight and just starting to eat at that amount now. And forever. I haven't yet moved to that model, but think it has some real benefits, as there is no transition to maintenance, you just keep eating like you have been while losing. Of course, you might have to tweak the calorie goal as you get closer to your goal weight.

Yes to the bolded. Maintenance for my current weight is very close to my maintenance for goal (assuming continued activity)...even though they are many pounds apart!
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Wow. Such good insight here. What a couple people said really resonated. In particular, I share 4legsRbetter's observation that outside of a medical condition (of which there are many legitimate ones--I'm just lucky and grateful not to suffer them), it's mental. At least for me it is. This body is amazingly tolerant, flexible, adaptable, gracious, will put up with so much and still serve like a champ... It's my head that has trouble cooperating. And LAWoman captured it exactly for me--none of the rationalizations (lying to myself, hiding truth from myself) matter to this resilient body. It counts it all whether I choose to or not. I will also say I have been maintaining a long time (3 decades), and even though I appeared to have it under control on the outside, the inner improvements have been gradual and, mercifully, continue.

I wish I could say an instant realization made maintaining easy for me. What I can say is the mental aspect has become easier over time, even with an older body.
  • BioQueen
    BioQueen Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    The biggest thing for me was to learn that there can be no "all-or-nothing" response to losing weight. I would yo-yo because I would mess up and that would trigger old habits and I would go back to the way I was before. Now I realize that if there is a special occasion, sick, or just super hungry one day, I should eat more because I want/need to. BUT then the next day I go back to my plan. These off days don't really add up to much in the grand scheme of things. Once I learned that, and really believed it, losing weight has been much easier, and there has been no yo-yoing.

Also educating yourself is very important and not listening to everyone on the internet lol.

I've gone through 5 yo-yo cycles and I have now lost 47 pounds (181-->134) and I want to get to ~120 :)
  • bluekitdon
    bluekitdon Posts: 5 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I'm not a yo-yo dieter, but have been around them a good portion of my life. I've been able to maintain my weight at a healthy level for the vast majority of my life, and I can tell you what I do differently than those yo-yo dieters I've been around.

1. I don't deprive myself of food I really like. I simply reduce the amount of it I consume when I feel myself drifting in the wrong direction.
    2. I don't do exercises I hate, I try to find something active that I can enjoy to do a little each day, or at the very least not hate doing.
    3. I don't set specific goals for a specific time frame, I realize this is a marathon. I say I would like to be in this healthy range for my height - http://www.calculator.net/ideal-weight-calculator.html I consider my daily routine to be a success if I'm headed in the direction of getting into that ideal range, if I'm over that range and headed down then I feel like the week has been a success.
    4. I look for big benefit payoffs when looking at cutting the food I'm consuming. For example, if I am regularly taking subway lunches where I'm eating a foot long with a cookie and a drink at 2,000 calories, then taking lunch at McDonald's instead with a McChicken, cookie, and a water at 530 calories is going to save me a pound nearly every other time I make that change. Substituting something like apple slices instead of a large fry would be another example where I'd save 500 calories (that's an hour and a half on the treadmill from one food swap).
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    I quit looking at it as a temporary "diet" and just accepted that I needed to change my eating habits permanently. I also cut out added sugar and wheat (bread, pasta, etc.). I just have too much trouble having them in moderation. They both, especially sugar, trigger massive cravings and sometimes binges in me. And since I think sugar is not good for the body anyway, this makes sense for me for many reasons.

Once I did this, and it became habit, it seemed very easy. I found what works for me, and now just stick to it.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    bluekitdon wrote: »
    I'm not a yo-yo dieter, but have been around them a good portion of my life. I've been able to maintain my weight at a healthy level for the vast majority of my life, and I can tell you what I do differently than those yo-yo dieters I've been around.

1. I don't deprive myself of food I really like. I simply reduce the amount of it I consume when I feel myself drifting in the wrong direction.
    2. I don't do exercises I hate, I try to find something active that I can enjoy to do a little each day, or at the very least not hate doing.
    3. I don't set specific goals for a specific time frame, I realize this is a marathon. I say I would like to be in this healthy range for my height - http://www.calculator.net/ideal-weight-calculator.html I consider my daily routine to be a success if I'm headed in the direction of getting into that ideal range, if I'm over that range and headed down then I feel like the week has been a success.
    4. I look for big benefit payoffs when looking at cutting the food I'm consuming. For example, if I am regularly taking subway lunches where I'm eating a foot long with a cookie and a drink at 2,000 calories, then taking lunch at McDonald's instead with a McChicken, cookie, and a water at 530 calories is going to save me a pound nearly every other time I make that change. Substituting something like apple slices instead of a large fry would be another example where I'd save 500 calories (that's an hour and a half on the treadmill from one food swap).
    Like.jpg

• Susan5314
    Susan5314 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    First of all, I think whenever someone is successful at weight loss, something “finally” clicks and they are able to tackle this issue. I pray I am at that point now. I am finally understanding, at the age of 58, that if I do not get this weight off it is going to kill me. I also agree with the other people that most food is OK. I have to make this lifestyle change and just not eat so much. Tracking my REAL food intake has helped me this time. I used to cheat and not really put down what I was eating. I don’t know why because no one else was going to see it. This time I am tracking everything I put in my mouth. Tracking on MFP has shown me that while I am staying at my calorie range, I am eating too much fat. Duh? Now I know what I need to cut back on.

Also, I agree with setting reasonable goals. I need to lose 83 pounds. But I am taking it 10 pounds at a time. I have lost a little bit and I am at the point where I used to start my yo-yo of back and forth. I am going to dig in this time and not let it beat me. I am determined to not bounce back up again. I know this is an everyday battle that I am going to fight the rest of my life. Each morning I get up and ask myself “Can you do it today?”

Hang in there and stay on track 1 day at a time.

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I'm not an experienced dieter and haven't been one to diet back when I was morbidly obese, this has been my first real attempt at it that isn't just a random "yeah, I'll diet with you". So for this reason I may not have had real yoyo diets.

With that said, I've had many multipl-month maintenance periods where I yoyo'd a bit. First time I decided to "take a break" I gained back about 20 pounds - mainly on "no" foods. It was an eye opener. I started allowing myself everything I wanted, either in smaller quantities, or made room for bigger quantities, or made up for them later, depending on the situation. For the next maintenance period I set a certain number on the scale I'm never allowed to go over. If I found myself over even by 0.1, I kicked into full gear and had a fast day or two to correct it. Basically just nipping it in the bud. I found the best thing was to weigh myself every day and allow for micro yoyos but not for big ones. Meanwhile, dieting has taught me what foods keep me full and a few habits that have genuinely become automatic, so the mandatory fasts are not as frequent now.
  • gle8442
    gle8442 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the wonderful comments! This has given me a lot to reflect on. Here's to making this weight loss the last weight loss!
  • horrorfan
    horrorfan Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    This sounds crazy to post, especially on mfp, but I found that not logging has helped me at least for the time being. By watching the scale, reading labels, but not logging, I have been able to see how my body works. I've been able to observe maintenance, weight gain, and weight loss in relation to food, and without logging I've still lost weight. I'm still learning and I will eventually begin to log again purely for micros and macros, but I realized that logging will not be something I do forever. It was making me obsessive and afraid of food, but that is JUST ME. Logging really works for a lot of people! :) Hope I could help!