help need idea i have diabetes

Options
Can you help with any food idea and snack and smoothie

Replies

• LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Didn't your dr give you an eating plan along with the diagnosis? If not, you need to go back and ask or ask for a reference to a dietician. Also check here: www.diabetes.org
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    There are lots of versions of how this could go. Here is one.

Drastically limit bread, rice, corn, pasta, cereal, pizza.
    Limit fruit.
    Eat things like baked or grilled or broiled chicken/beef/pork/seafood/eggs.
    Eat lots of fresh or frozen kale, collards, spinach, romaine, cabbage, bok choy, Brussell sprouts, Swiss chard, okra, broccoli, cauliflower, snow peas, green peas, yellow squash, zucchini, onions, mushrooms, cucumbers, tomatoes,asparagus, berries.
    Eat some fat in reasonable amounts: butter, sour cream, mayo, olive oil, salad dressing.

Instead of thinking of what you are giving up, focus on what you are adding to your days. :)
    For example, for dinner, cook a small steak with two or three servings of vegetables. <3

• AsadiMt
    AsadiMt Posts: 5
    Options
    Check out low carb high fat ways of eating
  • mahogonymatlock
    Options
    Thank you and I will need all the help I can get
  • abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,120 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »
    Didn't your dr give you an eating plan along with the diagnosis? If not, you need to go back and ask or ask for a reference to a dietician. Also check here: www.diabetes.org

I agree. The American Diabetes Association recommends consuming 45-60g of carbs per meal and 15-20g per snack, but the doctor's recommendation might vary depending on if you can consume more or fewer carbs without huge BG spikes.

For meals, the ADA recommends using the plate method: half of your plate should be filled with non-starchy vegetables (spinach, broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, green beans, etc.), 1/4 of your plate should be either starchy vegetables (potatoes, peas, corn, beans) or whole grains, and the remaining 1/4 should be lean meats. Fruit and dairy can be added, but portions need to be watched. The ADA also recommends limiting saturated and trans fats and adding unsaturated fats instead.

I don't know if the ADA has any recommendations for snacks, but if I have something that has a high amount of carbs (such as a piece of fruit), I like to pair it with either a fat or a protein source (such as a slice of cheese, peanut butter, or beef jerky) in order to slow down the carb's absorption so that it more closely matches my insulin's rate of action. If I am going low-carb for snacks, I tend to choose options like nuts, cheese, lean meats, eggs, or non-starchy vegetables.

Personally, I'm not a huge fan of smoothies. I find that they aren't that filling for the amount of insulin I take for them (a lot of smoothies have more carbs than my typical meal), and the post-meal spike is very difficult to control.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options

Drop the smoothies.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options

check out the recipes section on the American Diabetes Association website. Lots of tasty options there.

http://www.diabetes.org/mfa-recipes/recipes/