Exercises you can do at home (to lose weight)

Options
laurencardwellxo
laurencardwellxo Posts: 1
edited April 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
Hey guys, so I've been wondering if anyone has done month long training at home to lose weight and it has worked. There are many options out there but most people say they haven't worked. Do you have any that will? Post your workouts in the comments section! <3 Mainly aiming on getting a beach body for summer and I'm eating 1200 calories a day :) thanks

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/

Not done it as I do gym work but it's a good beginner's programme
  • Gianfranco_R
    Gianfranco_R Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Check the success stories forum, there are many people that share their success with home workout like "30 days shred" and such.
    As for the bodyweight workouts, there is this thread:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1428309/what-can-calisthenics-do-for-you-let-me-show-you/p1
    Unfortunately the pictures are no more visible (she looked great), but her tips are still there.
  • ruggedshutter
    ruggedshutter Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    There is the saying "weight loss happens in the kitchen..." but if you want a good exercise program there is T25, Insanity, Insanity Max30, P90x. Those are the ones that I rotate between.
  • Darrensmith_
    Darrensmith_ Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I've got 8 days of Insanity to go and I'm loving it. Lost 20lbs and 6% body fat! It requires dedication but knowing it's only 2 months helps it not feel an unrealistic goal.

I have achieved what I set out but now have the bug to get really lean so will be starting T25 as soon as I've finished! Wouldn't mind knowing if anyone has completed body beast!
  • lisaabenjamin
    lisaabenjamin Posts: 665 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    In my experience the only reason home workouts fail is that they get old and boring quite quickly - if you're doing a workout DVD or have your own weight bench or whatever it's hard to stick at. The trick is to change it up regularly, try different things. I really like Blogilates (www.blogilates.com) - free workout videos on YouTube and there are hundreds of them so it's hard to get bored. It's based on pilates (so GREAT for getting a beach body! In fact the trainer has a 'beach body' series) but she throws in cardio and weights and other stuff too.

ETA: But also bear in mind there is truth in what ruggedshutter said: the biggest factor in weight loss is calories in-calories out. You can do all the strength training and cardio you want, but if you still eat too many calories the weight won't drop. If you want to lose fat (so those perky ab muscles show through!) you gotta do that by eating at a deficit.
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I got into awesome shape and it was 90% at home (I took a few fitness classes occasionally). Get a set of weights that are at least a little challenging (I started with 10s and a 15pound kettlebell). Google exercises and substitute accordingly. For a quick workout do a circuit based on what you got. This is a simple workout I hand out to people when they are just starting

Each for 30 seconds. Work up to 60.
    Jumping jacks
    Squats
    Bent over row-right side
    Lunge-right side
    Rest
    Burpees
    Sumo Squats
    Bent over row left
    Lunge left
    Rest
    Pop squats
    Overhead press
    Pushups
    Walking lunges

Repeat 1-3x. Switch it up every time you perform the workout ( jumping jacks Monday-running your stairs Wednesday, front lunges for curtsy lunges, etc). Google is your friend. You can absolutely get an awesome physique at home. Go for a walk or run a few times a week as well. It's simple really, just gotta do it
  • laurie62ann
    laurie62ann Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I Love Kelly Coffee Meyers DVD's. Check them out on Amazon!
  • runmama411
    runmama411 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    If you can go outside, go for a walk/run. I also do the stairs, Jillain's "30 Day Shred", and heavy duty spring cleaning will kick my butt everytime. Oh, and kettle bells-lovely!
  • brynnsmom
    brynnsmom Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    I walk about 4-5 miles a day on my treadmill coupled with stretching exercises, using my resistance band, jump roping... I've never been a fan of exercise videos. For some reason I find it hard to follow along.
  • camschuckie
    camschuckie Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Ok it might sound weird but I dance. I use that as my cardio. I also have some weights that I will use with it. I go for long walks, and I do work out videos that I find on YouTube ( which are free) a good one to try is "tone it up " work outs by Katrina and Karena .
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    FitnessBlender on YouTube has tons of videos and add more all the time.
  • Cheri1218
    Cheri1218 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    YouTube has tons of workouts you can do at home for free.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Ton's of people exercise at home, but remember, the only requirement of weight loss, is caloric deficit.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Any physical activity will burn additional calories versus being sedentary.