I must be crazy....

Options
kendradl
kendradl Posts: 595 Member
....I just signed up for my first 5K in a month and I am scared to death. Any tips/suggestions for a first timer? Also can anyone suggest a good running app to track speed, distance, etc.

Replies

• RTricia
    RTricia Posts: 720
    Options
    walk, jog, walk, jog...
  • RatherBeInTheShire
    RatherBeInTheShire Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I use My Tracks and it works pretty great!

I just did my first half marathon.. not too long ago I ran my first 5k. Good luck out there! Just remember to have fun!!
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    Couch to 5K, hands down. Google it.

Just did my first 5K, and I'm a 36 y.o. 260 lb guy. I owe it to the program.
  • teamsaris
    teamsaris Posts: 30
    Options
    I just ran my first 5k also :) One of THE best days of my life :) My advice...C25K...and HAVE FUN!! Enjoy your run, take care of your body (stretch and stretch and stretch!!!!).

You are going to do amazing :)
  • CaptainGordo
    Options
    ....I just signed up for my first 5K in a month and I am scared to death.
    Great way to get yourself motivated. Most programs suggest that you do just that -- get signed up and prepare! You'll be fine. Don't worry about speed. My goal, initially, was to just make it across the finish line alive. After starting the program, I elevated the goal to not being last. By the time I ran it, my goal was to get it done in less than 40 minutes -- and I did. Now, working on getting it done in less than 35 minutes.

Speed will come later. For now, just enjoy the rush!
  • Nomomush
    Nomomush Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    I use the C25k app on my Iphone. Love love love it. Good luck. It's good to set goals.
  • CaptainGordo
    Options
    My advice...C25K...and HAVE FUN!!
    Please forgive my adding another "AMEN!" to the C25K (Couch to 5K) suggestions.

Another point to keep in mind -- you can do the program at your own pace. No need to move to the next level until you feel ready. Hooray!
  • vjles
    vjles Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    ....I just signed up for my first 5K in a month and I am scared to death. Any tips/suggestions for a first timer? Also can anyone suggest a good running app to track speed, distance, etc.

Try Addidas MiCoach. It not only tracks speed, distance, pace etc., but, you can download training programs for 5K, 10K, half marathon, etc............... and all FREE!!! :-)

Cheers
    Les
  • outersoul
    outersoul Posts: 711
    Options
    I use the C25k app on my Iphone. Love love love it. Good luck. It's good to set goals.

This ^. I did the same thing. You can do it. I just started running this year and after C25K I ran one race and have another in 2 weeks.
  • kendradl
    kendradl Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Thanx everyone for the wonderful suggestions, I really appreciate them. I will keep my fingers crossed and pray I make it across the finish line before the race is over. :smile: