Treadmill help!

Options
Hey dudes.

So I'm new to the whole exercise thing, I weigh like 180lbs. >_>

I need a lil help. I bought a treadmill and have been jogging on it for like 5 minutes max and I'm completely out of breath! After a week of doing this I can run upto 15 minutes.

Is this normal?? To be able to run this less? Because I've been reading loads of forums and people can run like 45 mins to an hour flat! I'm like, how?? Will I be like this eventually? Is the 15 min thing actually gonna help me lose weight or is it pointless?

Please give me some advice thanks!

Replies

• DaneanP
    DaneanP Posts: 433 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Hi there - I love my treadmill. I'm old and my joints are cranky and so it really helps. When I first got it, I did this program (but did not complete it):

http://www.c25k.com/c25k_treadmill.html

I find that interval running is much more my style. My treadmill has a setting for this but essentially I get a 4 minute warm up, then 2 minutes of incline, 2 minutes of decline. I do this for 23 minutes, then get a 3 minute cool down for a total of 30 minutes. On the decline setting, I run. Over time I've been able to increase my incline setting while walking and my speed with running. I always get a good work out and I'm always sweaty. Now I'm pushing to add time - an extra 5 minutes, when I can.

Play around a bit with what works best for you. But I highly recommend the c25k program for treadmill. Read their pointers. It is ok to start running very slowly. Good luck!
  • jefemullin
    jefemullin Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I second the interval training. My wife LOVES the C25K app and has had great results increasing her run times and even enjoys it now!
  • nikkit321
    nikkit321 Posts: 1,485 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    No one starts out being able to run for an hour. Everyone starts at the same place you are.

I think you're doing great to have built up from 5 minutes to 15 minutes in just a week. I've tried the C25K program, but have also built up on my own. What worked for me was to run 1 minute, walk 1 minute, and repeat until I hit a total of 3 miles. The next week, I ran 2 minutes, walked 1 minutes, and repeated for the 3 miles. Each week, I added one minute to the runs. Eventually, once I was running one mile consecutively, I eliminated the walks. It's a slower process than the C25K program, but it worked. Eventually you will be able to run 45 minutes or an hour solid, but it does take time to build up to it. Have fun with it! Don't be discouraged if you have a day where you feel like you just can't run - either slow down or add extra walks.

15 minutes is great but for weight loss you probably want to aim for a total of 30 minutes. Keep adding to your run times, then walk a little and catch your breath, and run again.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    If you're running 15 minutes straight after only one week of running, you're doing great. It takes time to build up your stamina to run 45+ minutes straight. Give it time.
    If you feel as if you cannot run more, slow down but don't stop running. If you still feel winded, walk for a few minutes, then start to run again at a slow pace.
    Interval training (running-walking-running) is a good way to train yourself.
  • Faye369
    Faye369 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    when I started working out almost a year and a half ago I was red faced and out of breath after 5 minutes of walking and like I was going to pass out after 1 minute on the elliptical .. now I can do 45 minutes of interval walk/jog and 20 minutes at a brisk pace on the elliptical. I have a form of muscular dystrophy called FSH so progress I make in 6 to 8 weeks equals what others achieve in 2 .. the saying slow and steady wins the race is definitely true!
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Those people who run 45-60 mins, they have been doing it a long time.

I started where you are (maybe even further behind, I was like 1 minute tops!) and I can run (at an appropraite pace for ME!!!!! thats important) for about an hour now. But it has taken me 2+ years to get to where I am now.

Run for you, and compete with yourself. Its easy to look at carson (awesome marathon guy on here who runs forever long distances and super fast paces) and think man I suck! But Look how much better I am now than I was. That counts for alot to me and makes me feel great about myself.

ETA- Also keep it up, I think you are doing great!
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I hate the treadmill. I can barely run 2 miles on it. But, out on the street, I can run 6, 8 miles. Have you tried running outdoors? It is so much better, in my opinion.
  • ghettosaf
    ghettosaf Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Wow, thanks for all of this advice!!! I'm gonna try the couch to 5k program and also run a minute/walk a minute.

Thanks god its normal to start off slow.

Thanks for the help guys, really appreciate it!!!!