B12 Shots - Anyone Taking Them

Options
I have found that my B12 levels are fairly low. I've been trying to take OTC supplements, but I am horrible with pills. I have to waste 2-3 before i can keep something down. On top of that, i haven't felt much different.

Today, my doctor perscribed me B12 shots for me to inject myself, like it's not big deal. I searched some forums and found that many people take these for "get quick weight loss", which ALWAYS scare me. This is NOT why I am taking them....

Anybody take them and feel any benefits vs over the counter/by mouth? My insurance covers most of the cost, so the expense is not an issue. I just hate taking meds, but choking them down is horrible, and i do feel worse when i cannot take my vitamin.

Thanks for your feedback!

Replies

• VegasMango
    Options
    I take them twice a week and love it. I am able to get through a 10 hour work day and then feed, bathe, and play with my 3 daughters afterward. It's great!! Give it a try!! The shot is easy!!
  • kermode
    Options
    A few years ago my husband and I joined Bernstein. They give you the B12 shots there. B12 is actually good for you, my theory about why Bernstein uses it is more of a "Pavlov's Dog" idea. They give you a shot which causes pain and makes you think of that pain everytime you fill your face with bad food choices. If you don't lose the weight, you get more shots.

Researching B12, I haven't seen any negative reports out there yet, especially if your Doctor has found you are lacking in the vitamin.
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    There are B12 drops you can put under your tongue! They taste kinda nasty, but it beats the big horse pills.
  • LaSirena29
    Options
    Have you tried adding nutritional yeast to your diet? It's very high in B12, something like 600% of your daily requirement in 1/4 cup. I add it to all kinds of things. I use it in place of Parmesan cheese, sprinkle it on salads & roast veggies, add it to sauces, toss it with microwave popcorn.
  • Trizi
    Trizi Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I asked one of the doctors about the B6 / B12 combo.

It works like a jack-hammer and basically destroys the fat in the injection area.

There are pills, but the body absorbs most of it before it has a chance to do anything. That's why they inject directly.