8 Down... 100+ to go!

Options
Well first, I'm 21 and I've been trying to lose weight since middle school and since middle school I really haven't gained any weight. I've always been both taller and heavier for my age. My family used to joke I was part amazonian. I've been in programs, I've had dietitians, personal trainers and the most I ever lost was with my first personal trainer who was also a body builder and coach. He was awesome! In high school I dealt with depression and developed some very negative eating habits. We're talking just not eating for days or eating only pickles every day for a month. I dropped 2 sizes that month. It got to the point that I was starving myself for such long periods that I actually stopped being hungry. High school was traumatizing, I took a year off (as in I went to community college for a year) and then I jumped headlong into college. I'm in college now, I have 2 more years and and I'm just tired not being happy with my body and letting my weight hold me back. I don't dress how I want both because it's hard to find the clothes I like and when I do they're $100s and also I just don't like the way I look in them. I don't dance because I hate the way my body looks in motion. I don't go out often. And I'm a very image-conscious person, I don't like the first impression my size gives people.

But don't get me wrong. I don't hate my body or myself by any means. I love my body. That's coming from someone who fantasized about cutting up their body as a teenager. I just want to love my body more. I'm excited about change. I feel like this is going to be the year! I can't wait to get back to my hometown (my college is in the smallest little city) and I'm anxious for the summer to come so I can get to swimming!

I'm motivated! I think the first and last time I was on a forum was my Gaia online days. Haha so, this is new. I've never tried the community thing with weight loss. I've always been a sort of lone wolf about it and maybe that's been one of the problems.

Replies

• JoeyTajzai
    JoeyTajzai Posts: 1,198 Member
    Options
    I'm happy that you're starting off with a great mindset. One thing that I've learned is you can't say "I'm losing weight because I hate myself" but instead you should be saying "I'm losing weight because I love myself". It's gonna be a tough journey, one that I haven't even accomplished myself. However, it's not impossible. As long as we push our mind and body like we never have before, then we will achieve greatness. I added you!
  • phelishawatts
    phelishawatts Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    We can motivate and encourage each other I have also tried a lot of different things to lose weightand I feel that this is my year if you would like to add me you can

• ambermarygarrison777
    Options
    I've really learned a lot about food and portions on MFP. The food diary is key! I love looking at other people's food diaries, checking out their meals and snacks and calorie counts. You can also get the Pacer app- you can link it it MFP.
    The pacer app will track your steps, you can choose if those steps are a mild stroll or high paced bike ride. Your activity will show on MFP and can add some extra calories for you to consume if you want. Today is my first day back to MFP after loosing 16lbs originally , but then life got busy and I just stopped tracking my food and activity. Sucky sucky, had I kept it up I bet I'd be wicked close to my goal weight. Shoulda woulda coulda- never do that to your self :smile: . Good luck to you!!!!! Feel free to add me as a friend, in my limited experience here, it's nice to have some MFP friends, there's many many wonderful encouraging people with a wealth of nutritional knowledge.
  • ErisOfDiscord
    ErisOfDiscord Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! I'm really excited and I think things are going to be good! I'm glad I've made a couple friends. I think that will be beneficial along the way! Also, I use my samsung galaxy's step tracker, but I'm considering getting a fitbit or jawbone or something,