Walking question

Options
I am going to start walking each day. I am wondering if we should have a day off from walking? I'm a creature of habit so if I start then it is really good for me to do it each day at the same time. Thanks to anyone who answers!

Replies

• AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    Well, our bodies are made to walk. It's low impact and most people have no problem going for a walk every day.

If you're really power walking, maybe take one day a week where you just have a casual stroll instead, but no reason you can't walk daily.
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    I walk every day and never feel like I need a rest day from it, ymmv.
  • asaber13
    asaber13 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    If you have not been walking previously then you need to start small and work up to more. You are better off doing every other day for about twenty minutes and work up. You can Google plenty of information on walking plans. Do what feels good with out over doing it. Hugs luck.
  • DeeTee68
    DeeTee68 Posts: 198 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    As above poster said depends where you are at with your fitness. I turned walking the dog into my fitness routine. Me and the dog used to do a 30 min walk everyday just strolling along then I got the fitness bug and turned this into a 60 min walk every day. Then I started powering up the pace to the point where I was hitting 4mph pace. As my fitness improved and the weight started falling off I ramped the pace up to a jog/walk incorporating the C25K plan.

We now do a fast walk 60 min one day and a 60 min run/walk mix the next day. Once a week I take him up the hills and we do at least two hours of running and walking covering 8 miles.

So go for it, get walking, do fast one day moderate the next and throw a long walk in once a week. You will soon be wanting to run as you mentioned in your profile and that's where the fun begins.

If you want any help with walking advice inbox me as this has been a very successful way of improving my fitness and losing weight. With a calorie control diet and the above exercise I have lost 13kg since November.

Hope that helped sorry to waffle on ;)
  • SerenityGrace
    Options
    Thanks so much for all your help. I was thinking we are suppose to walk each day. It I have been sedatary for quite awhile. Still, I will listen to my body and see. Thanks again!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    This has lots of practical information....stretches and so on. It's best to build up so you don't develop shin splints.

http://www.thewalkingsite.com/beginner.html

If it's raining on your "planned" walk day....look for some indoor walking options, either Leslie Sansone or virtual walking videos.
  • DeeTee68
    DeeTee68 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »

If it's raining on your "planned" walk day....look for some indoor walking options, either Leslie Sansone or virtual walking videos.

Or put a Rain Coat on ! Its great walking in the rain.
  • nathalier71
    nathalier71 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    I've walked my 10 000 steps everyday for the past 363 days...2 more days to make it a full year! No breaks needed - you should be walking every day.
  • SerenityGrace
    Options
    Thank you TeaBea for that link!

DeeTee, I live in Texas where rain can turn at a notice to a serious storm. Still, I'm going to be looking for a raincoat! I've already been thinking about walking in the rain.

Good job Nathalier. That is a impressive accomplishment!