Hungry on non workout days!!

Options
What can be the reason why on my non workout days I am starving sometimes? I my calorie intake a day is 1390 and I normally eat that except on the days I workout because I'm not as hungry. Help me!!!

Replies

• Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    You're eating less on workout days?
  • Trice1982
    Options
    Yeah, most of the time I have about 150 or so calories left on the days I work out. I eat a healthy meal or snack every two hours but on my non workout days I be starving sometimes.
  • Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    It may be that your cravings for more food are due to your workouts (even though it's not the same day). Workouts require more fuel than regular days, but if you are eating less on those days, you are creating an even bigger deficit. It's not going to be an immediate effect, but more like how people really don't feel a hard workout until the next day.
  • BigLifter10
    BigLifter10 Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    It may be that your cravings for more food are due to your workouts (even though it's not the same day). Workouts require more fuel than regular days, but if you are eating less on those days, you are creating an even bigger deficit. It's not going to be an immediate effect, but more like how people really don't feel a hard workout until the next day.

Kind of thinking along those lines as well. I understand her point too - on light or non-workout days I also tend to be hungry if not downright ravenous at times. Body is calling for more nutrients and I find that I have to eat the same on low activity days or else I feel horrible. But I lift heavy on my workout days, so that could be it - before I started that, there wasn't a lot of variation from one day to the next (except that time of month).

I also have to drink more water on "off" days because I tend to not be as thirsty, in general as on training days. I just make sure to keep the food intake healthy because it's way too easy to start wanting things like pizza, tacos, etc (at least for me, it is) on those gotta have it days!
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    Trice1982 wrote: »
    Yeah, most of the time I have about 150 or so calories left on the days I work out. I eat a healthy meal or snack every two hours but on my non workout days I be starving sometimes.

On non-workout days, are you eating the leftover 150 calories from the day before? You should be. Those 150 calories are part of your nutritional requirement. You don't need to eat them on the specific day but should eat them on another day. Perhaps, instead of looking at daily calorie goals, you look at weekly goals (1390x7 calories for the week)?
    Are you eating back some/all of your exercise calories? You should be.
    You probably aren't eating enough for your activity level.
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    I can't leave too many calories left on workouts days. Otherwise the following day I want to eat everything in sight. Now obviously making yourself eat an extra few hundred calories when you are full can be hard. But I found I like to pack in the calories prior to the workout (if it's in the evening). I'll eat a big lunch on days I play soccer after work for example. As long as my day equals out in the end, the next day isn't bad at all. However, if I leave 400 calories on the table, I have learned to be okay with eating them the next day and going over my daily limit. It evens out in the end.
  • carafes
    carafes Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    That's funny... I am starving today and it's not a workout day!
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    Take a look at what your exercise was the day before your rest day. For me, I am always starving the day after a heavy lifting day, not the day of. Running, I'm hungrier the day of. Your body is recovering the day after a hard workout. Makes sense to be hungrier. Adjust your weekly calories accordingly.
  • chouflour
    chouflour Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I'm routinely hungry on non-exercise days. Most of my exercise is bicycling, which I find to be hugely appetite suppressing. Then I have a day without riding and I eat ALL the things. My week averages out pretty well.

• LovelyIvy466
    LovelyIvy466 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I'd also take a look at what you're eating on non-workout days. I always eat fairly lean protein, but I've found that the carbs I pick make a big difference. I can't eat bread on non-workout days- doesn't fill me up, and 5 minutes after I eat it I'm hungry again, whole grains or not. I try to add things that are really filling and nutritious- quinoa, brown rice and vegetables being a big part of that (cauliflower, broccoli, carrots are favorites).
  • Trice1982
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your input and I will definitely take it all into account and consideration. I try to use all my calories everyday but sometimes it's hard because I'm not hungry. I will definitely look into heavier/healthy meals on my non workout days.