paleo???

Options
Has anyone tried the paleo diet. I'm worried about how much fat they want you to consume. I want a low carb diet that will work with my workout routine.

Replies

• willnorton
    willnorton Posts: 995 Member
    Options
    worked for me..... 130 pounds lost....no longer type 2 diabetic...no more high blood pressure meds.... I actually did the lower carb and not as much fat as they wanted... look at PRIMAL too... I also took apple cider vinegar and ceylon cinnamon... worked out at the gym.... good luck...
  • kjm3579
    kjm3579 Posts: 3,975 Member
    Options
    Tried it, didn't work any better or worse than any other way of cutting calories and working out -- http://www.mattfitzgerald.org/books/diet-cults-book/
  • HowlinAl
    HowlinAl Posts: 277 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Whatever floats your boat, I guess, as long as you eat fewer calories than you burn you'll lose weight. Personally, it sounds gross and the rational seems ridiculous. I thought someone was pulling my leg when I first heard of it. But if paleo sounds appealing to you, go for it.
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    As Alyssa points out, it's been covered a lot, and there are a few groups for it as well. It is a path that places restriction on foods and that can be really hard because they're a lot of favorite things (Sugar, dairy, breads, legumes). I've seen websites for paleo that recommend eating 80% paleo, and not to stress if you don't eat full on.
    I have friends that are fairly spot on paleo due to celiac's and they have no real issues with it, and I've followed it before, but now I do something like a cross between paleo/gluten free/unprocessed foods(clean eating). Cause cheese.
    Like anything, losing weight is not what you eat, but how much are you eating. Following paleo is more for people who want to see if their overall health improves, and IMO I think that because they are so concious of what they're eating, that's what causes the weight loss. Other's will argue that it's XYZ.
    There's lots of reading out there, google is your friend! :grin:
  • kazaargrandcru
    kazaargrandcru Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Like other ways of eating, it works for some. I tried it and decided I'm more of an "all things in moderation" type person. Best of luck with whatever you do.
  • pittsingersg
    pittsingersg Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Thank you every one. I will check out those other forums too.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    Bottom line, OP - if it helps you to create a calorie deficit, and you can remain consistent and it keeps you full and satisfied, there is nothing wrong with trying it. However, it's not magic, and calories in/calories out is the only way to lose weight. If you find it too restrictive, which many people do, there is no reason to eat that way over another way. You can just eat the foods you like within your macro and calorie goals and still lose weight.
  • willnorton
    Options
    If i told you that you could eat loads of fat and lose weight, you would probably think I was crazy... Eat fat to lose weight...no way..huh.... we have had it pounded in our brains that the only way to lose weight is to cut the cals and exercise like crazy...or some form of that equation.....

there is current research by the medical community that they might have been wrong.... is fat bad for you??? maybe not... there are healthy fats to eat.... omega 3 fats... medium chain fats.... mono....poly.... foods like coconut oil, avacados ... olive oil.... grass fed butter.......
    I have read thousands of pages of research saying that fat is good for you... our bodies dont need carbs for that "energy" we need daily....

I have been on the paleo / primal plan for about 10 months now.... eating lots of fat.... about 80% daily......i have had amazing results...

now....all diets/ ways of eating dont work for everybody...
    some people can handle carbs...i was type 2 diabetic and i had to steer clear of the carbs.... so it worked for me but might not work for the next 10 people who write after me....

we are all different and that is what makes the world go around...

you can always step on someones toes when you just say it will work for everybody...

you just need to try it and see if it works...

• Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    willnorton wrote: »
    If i told you that you could eat loads of fat and lose weight, you would probably think I was crazy... Eat fat to lose weight...no way..huh.... we have had it pounded in our brains that the only way to lose weight is to cut the cals and exercise like crazy...or some form of that equation.....

there is current research by the medical community that they might have been wrong.... is fat bad for you??? maybe not... there are healthy fats to eat.... omega 3 fats... medium chain fats.... mono....poly.... foods like coconut oil, avacados ... olive oil.... grass fed butter.......
    I have read thousands of pages of research saying that fat is good for you... our bodies dont need carbs for that "energy" we need daily....

I have been on the paleo / primal plan for about 10 months now.... eating lots of fat.... about 80% daily......i have had amazing results...

some people can handle carbs...i was type 2 diabetic and i had to steer clear of the carbs.... so it worked for me but might not work for the next 10 people who write after me....

you can always step on someones toes when you just say it will work for everybody...

That's a lot of periods.
  • willnorton
    Options

That's a lot of periods.

so what..... it means im thinking..... maybe you need to be a little more serious about your life and your weightloss..... i tried to make a comment that might help someone.....
    you know what all our oms used to say about..if you cant say something good about someone... well you know............................................................
  • tarabug1313
    tarabug1313 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I use periods like that too....anyway....I'm really interested in this Paleolithic diet. My body type is large framed endomorph.... Carbs are the devil for me. Googling now....
  • primalsarah
    primalsarah Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I've lost weight both ways- on a strict paleo diet (did this 2 yrs ago) and more recently by counting calories and eating a flexible diet. They both work! I found that because I truly don't have any food sensitivities (dairy, gluten, grains) it isn't worth the stress for me to strive for Paleo. It taught me a lot about ways to eat more whole foods, but it can also wrongly demonize carbs, which will be necessary if you are working out!
    Hope this helps.
  • Healthymom_5
    Healthymom_5 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I use periods like that too....anyway....I'm really interested in this Paleolithic diet. My body type is large framed endomorph.... Carbs are the devil for me. Googling now....

After years of high carb, low fat, and having the doctor finally tell me my sugar was going high due to tiring out my pancreas, I've made the switch for my whole family and we couldn't be happier or healthier! Lots of low carb veggies, healthy fats, and no cravings - they've disappeared! Check out paleomom and the Low Carb Diet (LCD) group here on MFP! Lots of great info!
  • Healthymom_5
    Healthymom_5 Posts: 244 Member
    Options

Excellent
  • mwhoyle
    mwhoyle Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    If you're active physically, you might check out this book:

http://www.amazon.com/Paleo-Diet-Athletes-Nutritional-Performance-ebook/dp/B0093QBOZ2

I'm an on-again-off-again road cyclist, and Joe Friel is a very well-respected coach for competitive cyclists. (and I'm not one; lol) It gives a somewhat hybrid approach.