Progress: staying focused on no results

Options
Alright so I'm only a week into my diet so I'm not expecting to see a whole lot of progress. Im just getting impatient already. Also I saw a few friends from high school when I came home over the weekend and two of them lost a lot of weight. They look fantastic! But I can't help feeling jealous that they were able to lose weight and I haven't yet. Do you guys have any advice on how to stay motivated without seeing progress? And especially in your first few weeks on your diet?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Not expecting a lot of progress in a week, but you're impatient already? :huh:
  • meg7117
    meg7117 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Whoops! I guess I just meant that it's hard to not get impatient already. I know it's not gonna happen overnight, but at the same time it's very hard to stay motivated.
  • Pupslice
    Pupslice Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    You've only been doing this for one week. Look at it this way, it didn't take you a week to gain the weight, so it will take time to lose it. Just be patient and keep going, and you will see results. In weight loss especially, patience is a virtue.
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    Take your before picture. Also measurements and weight. Write down things you want to accomplish (run a 5k, do crunches, run up the stairs without getting out of breath, etc).

It takes time and hard work. You should see a little bit of progress within a few weeks if you are doing it right. You just have to keep going and keep your eye on the prize. I've been doing this for almost 3 years and I've lost about 42lbs. There are people who lose more than that in ONE year! But they are they, and I am me. You will fall down, but you just have to get back up. Make it a true priority in your life and changes will happen.

Best of luck.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Expect that it will take awhile.
    Notice other things like being able to do more in your workout, being more flexible.
    Be determined to log every day.
    Have active MFP friends with similar goals and interact with them.
    Remember that every day you are better off than when you started.
  • kazaargrandcru
    kazaargrandcru Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I gave myself 3 months as a goal to see major progress.