Calories + Healthy eating!! HELP

Options
Hello guys!
So, im pretty new using this app and counting what I eat but so far I think im doing pretty good.
I started cooking my own meals to avoid eating chips and/or foods I shouldnt be eating at work, but here is my problem...

I am having a hard time coming up with meals/food that will add up to the amount of calories im supposed to consume per day. Im supposed to eat between 1000-1200 calories a day (when not working out) and im usually pretty full/satisfied towards the end of the day with only 800-900 calories. Help!?? :(.

Any tips? Suggestions for snacks? Etc...

thanks!

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Calorie dense foods can be your best friend when you're trying to eat more. These are foods that pack a lot of calories into just a small amount, so they boost your calories quickly without putting a lot of extra food in your stomach.

This is a generic list and it's definitely not comprehensive, but anything here can be included in a balanced diet (as long as there are no allergies, medical conditions, obviously):
    avocado
    cheese
    full fat dairy
    Greek yogurt
    ice cream
    peanut butter (or other nut butters)
    dark chocolate
    less lean cuts of meat (including beef, pork, sausage, etc.)
    seeds (chia, flax, sunflower, etc.)
    nuts
    olive oil
    coconut oil
    butter
    beans and lentils
    protein shakes, bars, and smoothies
    hummus
    beef jerky
    cornbread
    tuna
    full calorie condiments
    full calorie sauces & dressings
    sour cream
    guacamole
    whole grain pasta
    rice
    bacon
    whole eggs
    quinoa
    fruit and fruit juices
    pretzels
    bananas
    scones
    muffins (bran, blueberry, banana nut, etc.)
    potatoes (sweet, red, gold, purple, white, etc.)
    dried fruit (raisins, apricots, plums, dates, etc.)
    granola
    coconut
    salmon
    edamame
    olives
    honey
    molasses
  • 77natalie77
    77natalie77 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Any kind of protein bar, a protein shake, popcorn, a serving of chocolate, veggies and hummus, fruit... Any of these would be good snacks. You could even eat a controlled portion of chips if you wanted.
  • sare36
    sare36 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    It's pretty hard to eat that low and feel actually full unless you've cut out most carbs and eat loads of veggies... Are you weighing your food? Your counts are probably not accurate otherwise. If you've been eating consistently at 800-900 calories daily for real, you are probably going to feel exhausted. If you're not feeling crappy and tired all the time chances are your calorie counts are off (overestimating) and you need to reevaluate what you're eating.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    Eat some peanut butter, fatty fish, donuts, other pastries, butter on veggies, chips, take-out meals, etc.