Shin splints - advice please?

Hi all . Im new to running and i have started out running using the couchTo5k app. Im finding it manageable apart from the shin splints that i am suffering! The app encourages a warm up and cool down walk which i do and i do some stretches when i get home ... I invested in (expensive) running shoes which i find supportive ... But when im googling suggestions there are so many out there im baffled. Do compression sock/bandages work? At the minute i use an ice pack and elevate if its really sore, take ibuprofen and have rest days between runs.. I know the fact im overweight may not help but this is why i am running!

Replies

• ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    the shoes...were they fitted at a running store for your foot and gait?
  • grandmamere
    grandmamere Posts: 155 Member
    Hi all . Im new to running and i have started out running using the couchTo5k app. Im finding it manageable apart from the shin splints that i am suffering! The app encourages a warm up and cool down walk which i do and i do some stretches when i get home ... I invested in (expensive) running shoes which i find supportive ... But when im googling suggestions there are so many out there im baffled. Do compression sock/bandages work? At the minute i use an ice pack and elevate if its really sore, take ibuprofen and have rest days between runs.. I know the fact im overweight may not help but this is why i am running!

Yes ace bandage worked for me. I wore them when I wanted to continue to work out at a slower speed. I know prefer the elliptical to avoid them all together. I purchased the pro-form and have not regretted it for the past 5 years:)
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,661 Member
    When I was brand new to running, I got some shin pain that hurt while I was running. That went away when I stopped pulling my toes up so much - on your next run, you could try focusing on just lifting your toes enough not to scuff the pavement.

Later, I got "shin splints" that was pain and sensitivity in the shin that I never could figure out how to fix. I eventually gave up "resting" and icing and just kept running. I still get that if I overdo it.
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    There are tons of possibilities for the cause. Everyone is different. I get shin splints running on pavement. A 5k would put me in tears. But I can easily run a 10k on the trails with no pain whatsoever. You will probably just have to guess and check at ways to prevent the pain. But do be careful, as they can lead to stress fractures!
  • blessedwith3boys
    blessedwith3boys Posts: 136 Member
    One of my sons may of had that. He found some type of support rap that goes around the shins for when he jogs. Sorry I can't think of the name. He found it in a sport supply store I believe. It made a tremendous difference for him.
  • LovelyIvy466
    LovelyIvy466 Posts: 387 Member
    edited April 2015
    I got the best results by using a yoga tune up ball on my shins (you can also use a tennis ball). If you put it on the floor and roll your shin over the ball it does WONDERS in ironing out the worst of the soreness.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,406 Member
    edited April 2015
    Short and quick strides help me prevent shin pain. I found this out by trial and error. Then I googled "short and quick strides to prevent shin splints and this popped up: http://community.runnersworld.com/topic/bad-shin-splints
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    edited April 2015
    You're most likely just not used to running. It's going to take some time. For now you need to do what you can to minimize the issue. Ice after you run and perhaps another time or two during the day. Stretch the calf and lower leg muscles. Try to run on softer surfaces like dirt, a track, or perhaps a treadmill instead of concrete. Rest. If it's hurting while you run you need to take some time off and ease back into the running when you continue.

Wraps and taping are supposed to help some people but I've never tried either of those methods.

http://www.runnersworld.com/tag/shin-splints
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    I think everybody gets shin splints at some point when they are new to running. It is not your weight. Ice them. Rest. Shorter runs. You'll get through it. Everyone who runs does. Good luck
  • jennifuhre
    jennifuhre Posts: 5 Member
    Ice baths and compression bandages !
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Also, toe walking and heel walking. I try to do 25-50 yds of each per day. And stretch your calves!