Is my calorie deficit right?

Options
Hi,

I'm not new to MFP, but I'm not sure if my calorie deficit is right. Could someone help me out and see if I'm calculating my deficit right? my goal is to be on track to lose 2 lbs per week. What should I be my goal for calorie burn per day? Right now I'm at a goal of 1,899 but but I'm averaging almost 2,200.

Thanks

2196----calories needed to maintain current weight
1414----MBR
1350----daily caloric intake limit

Replies

• ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    For two pounds per week you will need to eat 1000 calories below your TDEE every day.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Don't understand. If 2196 is maintenance and you want to lose 2 lbs/week the MFP math would give you 1196 or possibly 1200 as minimum - your diary suggests 1200 is the goal for food.

There isn't a goal for exercise burn, if you do exercise and log it you get more food to maintain the original deficit,
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    MFP calculates it for you...................

Otherwise do TDEE from a calculator, but this approach never recommends a 2lb/week weight loss goal so you'd not be eating so little. More like 500 calories below maintenance as a maximum deficit.
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »

Otherwise do TDEE from a calculator, but this approach never recommends a 2lb/week weight loss goal so you'd not be eating so little. More like 500 calories below maintenance as a maximum deficit.

Yes. Two pounds per week it a bit much but most people when just starting out set this as their goal. I really think that they think that two pounds will be about as easy as one so why not two!? In reality one pound per week is sufficient, relatively easy, and won't burn you out.

I always recommend people to not set a goal greater than one pound per week.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    ncboiler89 wrote: »
    ana3067 wrote: »

Yes. Two pounds per week it a bit much but most people when just starting out set this as their goal. I really think that they think that two pounds will be about as easy as one so why not two!? In reality one pound per week is sufficient, relatively easy, and won't burn you out.

I always recommend people to not set a goal greater than one pound per week.

Yep, only time I'll ever agree on 2lb/week is if the person is legit obese, at which point they might not find the deficit to be as hard to maintain, but that's not going to last throughout their weight loss.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    500 cals/day = 50 lb loss over several years with about 25 lbs in the first year. Or 500 cals/day = 0.5 lbs/week average over the first year. (c) Kevin D Hall PhD
  • kgailvincent
    kgailvincent Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    My metabolism is pretty slow. I don't get hungry like I should and most of the time even the 1350 seems like a chore to consume, especially after the amount of water I drink. I don't eat a ton of meat so the majority of may calories come from fruits, nuts, cheese and whole grains. I know 2 lbs a week might not work for majority of people, but it just so happens to for me. I just don't feel like I'm getting accuracy from my fitbit when MFP syncs its data. Thanks for your input!
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    Just run the Goals tab from your Home screen and it'll all be calculated for you.