Sugar: The Bitter Truth

Options
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM&feature=related

Anybody else seen this (amazing) video? Thoughts on fructose?

Yeah, I believe it is bad. Biochemistry has convinced me. What do you all think? Is a calorie just a calorie?

Replies

• oxavecamourxo
    oxavecamourxo Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I loved that video! I think fructose is bad, but not when it comes to the fructose in fruits & vegetables. I'm not worried about those because they also come with fiber, vitamins, etc. that help with everything. I just avoid refined sugar like the plague now. I also don't eat artificial sweeteners, so I just use a dab of maple syrup or applesauce or something in place of sugar most of the time.
  • ka_42
    ka_42 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I've seen it.. and loved it. it seems to make a lot of since! A soda-addicted friend of mine recently developed gout. Coincidence? I don't think so! I saw another short interview with Robert H. Lustig's daughter. She talked about how they have fruit as desert. I was curious if they removed even natural sugars in their family and it seems they don't. They even have ice cream/ chocolate for dessert on weekends. Seems livable to me!
  • Losing2Live69
    Losing2Live69 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I watched the first few minutes. An hour and a half is a long time for someone to get their point across.....sorry, but the video was a bit long for me. I must have ADD because I can't pay attention to something that long. Sorry.
  • drgregdc
    drgregdc Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Are you referring to fructose or high fructose corn syrup? In diet terms any sugar eaten during a meal increases insulin production which forces fat storage ( simply put ). Fructose is a sugar. High Fructose Corn Syrup says it is just a sweetener but 45% of companies that produce it use a process where mercury is used to produce the product adding levels of mercury to the product. That is the major concern of many health providers including myself.

Here is an article abstract from a government website called pubmed.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19171026
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    Watching this... it's going to take awhile! :wink:
  • absie107
    absie107 Posts: 290
    Options
    Okay yes the video is excruciatingly long and involves a lot of biochemistry discussion... but I seriously recommend it.

Health provider drgregdc - does fructose act differently in the body than glucose? I'm interested in medicine as a college student.. may be going the pre-med route (we'll see how shadowing goes this week!). I think that metabolism is incredibly interesting!
  • DesertCowgirl
    DesertCowgirl Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    saving this.
  • jamie1888
    Options
    OK, finally finished this; watched it throughout the day. Thank you for posting! Yes, it's very long. But, I agree that it IS worth the time! Everybody talks about high fructose corn syrup, etc and that you shouldn't eat it. But, this really explains why and the effects it has on your body. (HFCS and Sucrose).

I would just like to highlight a couple of take-aways:
    * Fructose is a toxin to the body and has the same effect as alcohol on the liver, but without the buzz effect
    * Glucose is a good carb because every cell & organ in the body can use glucose
    * A calorie is NOT a calorie! (when you look at the effects of eating 120 calories of fructose vs 120 calories of glucose, you will see they are NOT the same!

4 Recommendations for Lifestyle Intervention:
    1) Get rid of ALL sugared liquids - only water and milk
    2) Eat your carbohydrates with Fiber (carbs that have fiber = good)
    3) Wait 20 min for second portions
    4) Buy your screen time minute for minute with physical activity
  • healthhiro
    healthhiro Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the highlights! I love the idea of "buying" screen time. I am going to see how much I have earned today.
  • jamie1888
    Options
    Bump
  • CaroseH
    CaroseH Posts: 72
    Options
    bump for later
  • jcb2kds
    jcb2kds Posts: 40
    Options
    bump
  • jamie1888
    Options
    Bumping again because I think more people should watch the video. :bigsmile:
  • salbal70
    salbal70 Posts: 10
    Options
    Well worth watching the entire presentation. Now my head is swimming with more questions! I guess I will be 'buying a bit more screen time' to compensate for all the research I am about to do!
  • cupotee
    cupotee Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    My dad's a dr. and he approves :)
  • Missylydia
    Missylydia Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5-4FLA6rkw&feature=related

this is a good news article on the video, much shorter and less biochemical and if you get past the sensational slant, has a lot of info.
    Makes good sense to me.
  • hamncheese67
    hamncheese67 Posts: 1,715 Member
    Options
    I've seen it before and thought it was life changing. Also read the New York Times magazine article that came about from that video too.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/17/magazine/mag-17Sugar-t.html
  • mbat763
    mbat763 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Didn't read all the comments so this might have been covered...but natural fructose i.e. that which appears in fruits is kinda necessary to keep isotonic balance regarding your digestive system. Helps facilitate the transport of important ions into the intestinal epithelial cells through use of a co transporter mechanism...sometimes recommended over glucose as the body absorbs it more slowly thus can equal that 'longer lasting energy' feeling.

In fact, sometimes people who's body cannot process glucose have such imbalances present to a degree which incurs severe diarrhea which can cause death due to the huge losses of fluid associated. Doctors prevent these imbalances by having patients live on a fructose, to replace glucose, diet.

However, as with everything, moderation is key and the vid was very interesting.
  • JenUB
    JenUB Posts: 84
    Options
    bump
    :smile:
  • shreddingit
    shreddingit Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    I have a book on fructose, totally changed my life!
    Cant watch vid on my cell but im sure I know what is in it.