Not hungry

Options
I've started working out at least 3 days a week in combination with my active job.
Normally people would describe me as a "foodie" since I love to cook and eat!
Lately I'm lucky to consume 500 calories a day and still feel full all day.
It seems like I've completely lost my appetite for any food.
This can't be healthy but is this normal when you live an active lifestyle?

Replies

• sweetleilanimae
    sweetleilanimae Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    My non-doctor opinion: No. You need to eat for fuel. You will crash. Your smaller appetite should not be that small. Are you sure you are tracking your calories correctly? Maybe see a doctor if this continues? If you are sick, see a doctor. If you are not: Try to make yourself eat healthy food for nourishment. Your loss of appetite may be another issue: stress, depression, etc.
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    I bike 20 miles a day am on my feet all day and lift weights four days a week. I'm always hungry so in my opinion NO. You are correct about not healthy but I can guarantee its just a phase eventually you will eat..
  • karriannW32
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice! I know I'm logging it correctly cause I'll just drink one or two Lean 1 meal shakes a day. I scan it to log it.
    It's 2pm here and still haven't eaten, my daily log keeps telling me to log my breakfast and lunch.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,624 Member
    Options
    Feeling full on 500 calories a day, seems legit. Not at all dangerously unhealthy for your body.
  • CoachD34
    CoachD34 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Not sure if that last post was sarcasm but you are 100% underfueling yourself. You need to eat more my friend!!
  • 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
    Is this more of a statement or an actual legitimate concern you're asking about? Sounds like you're ok with eating so little ...
  • karriannW32
    Options
    A question mark follows after a question. If my original post is read again you can see I asked a question not stated a statement. Thank you.
  • 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
    Eating 500 calories a day is not normal. Problem solved. :)
  • Katus130
    Katus130 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I too go through periods where I'm just not really hungry and I think it's pretty typical if you are active and busy. What helps me is to make sure I eat little snacks throughout the day and try and throw a few liquid meals into the mix so I can drink them on the go.

That said, if it's a consistent problem you may want to visit your doctor. There are a multitude of medical issues that could cause lack of appetite and if anything it would give you peace of mind.
  • jenncornelsen
    jenncornelsen Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    maybe u need to have small meals throughout the day . u already know u have to eat more. this is borderline eating disorder if it continues. how long have u been doing this?
  • karriannW32
    Options
    Noticed it the last week or 2. Much worse this week but I feel 100% ok. I have energy and am emotionally happy.
    That's why I wanted to ask because this is a new development since I've started working out harder and doing more outside the gym.
  • savemama
    savemama Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    When this has happened to me it is because I am dangerously close to crashing my body. It has gone into under-nourished starvation mode and my metabolism has halted.

What has worked for me is to make sure I'm eating REAL whole food. Especially plenty of protein so I don't kill what muscle mass I still have (especially as women, those low cal and exercise days can kill your muscle and long term metabolism).

And mix it up. Take a break or change your exercise routine. Unless you are ill, your body should be hungry. If it isn't- that means something is very very wrong and your body has gone into calorie conservation mode. It might seem like an awesome problem compared to feeling hungry but major problems will follow. Including a stall in weight loss, loss of muscle mass and a MAJOR mood and energy crash. Like- panic, depression, fatigue, insomnia... Mood issues that are hard to reverse.

If it persists and isn't just a one day thing, I would look at this as a gift. Your body is telling you it isn't doing well.

• vfit10
    vfit10 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Nope ... Eat .. Right now you body thinks it's ok but not at the long run ...you will suffer fatige .. Your wont have good work outs .. Also it will think that it's "starving "which will incline to gain weight ..
  • karriannW32
    Options
    nv0vgm4hgddc.jpg

It says I should eat 1800 calories a day! That doesn't seem possible to me.
  • westcoastgrl21
    westcoastgrl21 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    That's not enough calories, as you are already aware. If you feel full quickly, then you'll have to eat calorie-dense foods to get in more calories and nutrients with less bulk. Try foods that are high in fat like nuts, protein items that also have a decent amount of fat (think about marbled steaks, not lean cuts, salmon not white fish, dark meat poultry etc), full fat dairy products. All of these things will provide nutrients as well as pack some calories without being large-volume items.
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    It's not lying to you, if that's the calculation it gives you, that's what you should be eating. I won't say dump the meal replacement if you like it, but 230 calories isn't really a full meal. Cook the egg in coconut oil (there are kinds that don't taste like coconut) and put some cheese on the egg, throw some raisins and nuts (or on the side) with that chicken salad, get some crackers and celery sticks and peanut butter to nibble on. I'm sure once you start picking up your eating, your body will catch up too.
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Do you weigh your food on a food scale? If you don't then I bet you're eating more than you think since eyeballing can be way off.

If you're weighing your food than eat peanut butter, ice cream, nuts, cheese, yogurt, etc. to help get your calories up.
  • 24Sept
    24Sept Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    When this happens to me I make a homemade beef or chicken vegetable soup. Also I might make a liquid Greek yogurt, banana,protein powder drink. Last night I juiced beets carrots, celery, ginger, and apple. It works for me.