Endometriosis and Fatigue

Options
Just wondering if there are any other ladies out there who deal with endometriosis. I'm also interested in learning more about any connection with fatigue and lack of stamina. I'm often tired but eat quite healthy. I read somewhere that endometriosis can interfere with stamina. I'm a distance runner so I push through my workouts and runs, but have often wondered about the connection. Is there anything that anyone does that seems to help with their symptoms? Thankfully my pain is minimal but I do take prescription Ibuprofen when it flares up. I also have to take a very small dose of Xanax to sleep every night, but that's more from 19 years in the emergency medical services field.

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Do you feel that you get enough sleep at night?
  • Jinxy23
    Jinxy23 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I have seen endo cause a great deal of fatigue as a very close friend of mine suffers.
    I would suggest asking on this fb group as I know one of the ladies that runs it and they are always more than happy to offer advice and support x
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/165509533641803/
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Have you checked your iron levels?
  • ar9179
    ar9179 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I had extreme fatigue. It got better after surgery to remove the lesions, but that was years ago. That's when I realized what was causing it, though!

Despite common advice, I tried a high fat/low carb/lots of veggies eating plan and that has helped my more recent fatigue issues. Alpha-linolenic fatty acids and omega 3, in particular, is thought to reduce endo.
    http://humrep.oxfordjournals.org/content/25/6/1528.full

Then, I watched calories and started exercising. My symptoms are continuing to improve. I do know that reducing body fat reduces the amount of estrogen, which is thought to be the trigger for lesions/symptoms. Here's hoping for the best.
  • bepaz10
    bepaz10 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I just had my 4th surgery related to endometriosis. I have had it for probably 30 years and am now 50. A lot of women with endometriosis have pain/discomfort/heaviness in their legs. For me, that's the tip off that I have something major going on. My third surgery, I had an 8.3 cm endometrioma on my left ovary and this time I had an 11 cm cyst on my left ovary.

I play several hours of tennis a week and am a long distance walker. I can't say that I suffer from fatigue, but I do know that I have to fuel myself properly in order to maintain my stamina. The last time I lost weight, I did it by restricting my carbs. My long walks were typically 5 to 20 miles long. Eating this way, I could only do 6 miles comfortably. By the 7th and 8th miles, I would be struggling and by mile 9, I would hit the wall. I lost a lot of weight, but hated the fact that I could not hit the mileage I was used to.

Now I play with my calories and carbs according to my exercise days. For me, carbs keep me fueled and happy and my legs feel so much better.

• Equus5374
    Equus5374 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »

I do feel that I sleep well and enough. The Xanax just helps to shut my mind off and keeps me asleep. I only take 0.25mg. Without it, I can't fall asleep and wake up very frequently (I've had a sleep study, no sleep apnea. My body is just trained to wake up fast and often due to my career).
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Equus5374 wrote: »
    RodaRose wrote: »

I do feel that I sleep well and enough. The Xanax just helps to shut my mind off and keeps me asleep. I only take 0.25mg. Without it, I can't fall asleep and wake up very frequently (I've had a sleep study, no sleep apnea. My body is just trained to wake up fast and often due to my career).
    It sounds like you are trained to pop into alertness -- is that what you are saying?
    Have your tried learning deep breathing techniques or doing yoga? After a while you can train yourself to go into relaxation or neutral mode.

• Equus5374
    Equus5374 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    That's exactly it. 19 years as a paramedic. I've wanted to try Yoga, I should do that. Thanks for the suggestion!
  • damashta
    damashta Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with endometriosis at 18. It caused horrible pains, my ovary to rupture during pregnancy, excessive bleeding (anemia) which resulted in chronic fatigue and exhaustion. Had to have two blood transfusions, multiple surgeries and finally only after complete hysterectomy did my energy return to normal and I felt human again. Consult with your Dr. Good luck to you.
  • bryannalackey91
    Options
    I have endometriosis, I'm 23 & have been dealing with it 10 years. I am tired all the time, & have severe anxiety to the point I can't focus.. What helps me is just keeping busy & always having a plan helps with my fatigue. Fatigue & lack of energy is connected to endometriosis.
  • bwayne533
    bwayne533 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'm 34 and in the same boat. I offer no help but seek it on fatigue. I was a 1/2 marathon ... Marathon runner. Zapped energy. Eat very healthy. Sleep well but tired beyond tired. I follow the endo diet and take vitamins from natural food stores (no added junk). Some days are better than others.
  • snowflakesav
    snowflakesav Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    Endo and iron levels. There is surely a connection. Iron is difficult to supplement and not fully understood. definitely get your iron tested. If you can eat red meat it does make a difference.