fear of biking

Options
i used to bike to work a few years ago (10 mi each way), but i've been out of it for a while, and i'm a little scared to jump into it again. i fell pretty hard once and hit my head (wasn't wearing a helmet, so so so stupid), and could have died. that didn't stop me from riding to work, though i did start wearing my helmet after that. getting pregnant was what stopped me, and my bike has been sitting in storage ever since. i've been wanting to start riding again, but then i would inevitably flash back to my left temple smashing onto the asphalt...

i finally got it out of storage and dropped it at the bike shop for a tune-up, it should be ready tomorrow. but even just thinking about getting on it fills me with anxiety. i know that i won't get over the fear until i actually get on and start riding, but i'm afraid i won't even get that far. keep thinking of being mangled, etc.

anyone else have / had a fear of riding?

Replies

• glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    Just go ride. You will remember how much you LOVED doing it before. If you are worried about traffic and such, go find a trail that will eliminate that part of the fear. Everyone falls from time to time. Best to just get back on.

• swirlybee
    swirlybee Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I haven't had any traumatic experience, but I was in the same boat regarding fear of something bad happening so I haven't done any real riding except for riding on the trainer and riding around my neighborhood. Baby steps. Little by little I've been venturing further away and riding on busier streets. Like glevinso said, you will remember how fun riding was.
  • rgarofalo
    rgarofalo Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I had a crash at 40 mph 2 years ago. What worked for me was just jumping on.
    For your case i would suggest hitting up a park and working yourself up from there. I still get nervous over 30 mph however my goal is to get over it this year as I want to start racing.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    It's not unusual to be a bit anxious after being away from an activity for a while, especially when you've had an accident.

Short rides in a controlled environment should help you regain confidence in your riding ability . Wear your helmet, dress for visibility and ride defensively and you'll rediscover your love for cycling.

Have fun!
  • rgarofalo
    rgarofalo Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Once you get going again you won't turn back
  • sculptcha
    sculptcha Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    thanks for the encouragement everyone. i picked up my bike today and rode home without incident (i did ride up onto the sidewalk for about a quarter mile, because the road was too narrow for my current level of comfort). i was a little nervous, but it felt great. i couldn't help grinning like an idiot most of the ride. lol
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    I haven't ridden in years but when I did (think kid/middle school age) i managed to break so many bones over the years LOLOL

my thumb, my arm, flipped over a mailbox and cracked ribs (that was probably the last time i rode), cracked my collar bone, lord only knows what else LOL

its best for me to keep my feet on the ground or in the water ;)
  • burnsgene42
    burnsgene42 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    As Mark Twain said " Get a bike and learn to ride it , You will enjoy it . IF you live."
    Hey! If I can get back on a bike at age 70 you certainly have no excuse ((;
    Now I'm riding in traffic and logging about 100+ mi. a week.
    I gotta admit I felt a little apprehensive (and self-conciense) when I first got back on.
    I'd recommend a park or off road trail to get started. Take it slow and easy. It really will all come back to you.
    Best of luck.

PS. Mark rode a different kind of bike than we have today. Go for it.